Something's wrong with Ricochet

There was a time when Custom Games created many great mini-games, and Ricochet may just be the savior of that feature.

However, it is still quite limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.

You lose 100 points.

There isn’t a way to disable it, which severely limits the possibilities. It’s next to impossible to make a Halo Ball remake, because the unlucky player who attempts to score a goal, and it lands out of the map, loses 100 points.

Quite a careless mistake, at the end of the day.

My message to 343 is, this can be fixed. You spent MONTHS on this gametype, but this one feature ruins it. We all know that there doesn’t have to be a title update to release a fix of a gametype. All there needs to be is a “new” option in game specific settings for “out of bounds penalty.” It may be possible to disable ball throwing, but that may be stuck in the map data.

Please, hear us, because this got all our hopes up, and creativity NEEDS this fix.

Both points that you made are false.

Being able to throw the ball adds in a new tactical aspect that some people would actually enjoy seeing in assault-esque gametypes, and it’s not something as major as not having a delayed timer (which is major).

Also, where did you come up with a -100 penalty in the first place? I just tested that claim out with the Source Ricochet gametype, and I never witnessed my score or my points go down at all.

Personally I love Ricochet. It’s fast paced, and adds a new fresh element of gameplay, that you can get behind. I mean that in the sense that, it’s like grifball. It’s easy to play, and the teamwork element is amazing. If you have a well functioning team, you can go far, but if you’re on a team of lone wolves (Good ones mind you) you can still come out on top. It’s a sport for HALO. And honestly, a -Yoink!- good one.

> However, it is still limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.
>
> You lose 100 points.

Can anyone confirm this? I’ve never read this anywhere on the forums or seen it in-game before.

> > However, it is still limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.
> >
> > You lose 100 points.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? I’ve never read this anywhere on the forums or seen it in-game before.

It can’t be confirmed, because it’s 110% false (in other words, he made it up). I’ve already tested it out with the source gametype.

> > However, it is still limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.
> >
> > You lose 100 points.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? I’ve never read this anywhere on the forums or seen it in-game before.

Fenix said he tried it, and it’s not true. I’m a fan of the Ricochet Ball gametype and I’ve never seen someone throw the ball out of bounds and lose points.

I tried it too and got -100 on out-of-bounds ball throws. Big oversight.

> Both points that you made are false.
>
> Being able to throw the ball adds in a new tactical aspect that some people would actually enjoy seeing in assault-esque gametypes, and it’s not something as major as not having a delayed timer (which is major).

That’s your opinion. There’s no such thing as a false opinion. Their “mistake” was not including the option to disable ball-throwing. There’s nothing wrong with including that as an option.

> Also, where did you come up with a -100 penalty in the first place? I just tested that claim out with the Source Ricochet gametype, and I never witnessed my score or my points go down at all.

As others have pointed out, the -100 points is correct.

On both points, it’s usually best not to state something as a matter of fact if you don’t know for sure.

> Both points that you made are false.
>
> Being able to throw the ball adds in a new tactical aspect that some people would actually enjoy seeing in assault-esque gametypes, and it’s not something as major as not having a delayed timer (which is major).
>
> Also, where did you come up with a -100 penalty in the first place? I just tested that claim out with the Source Ricochet gametype, and I never witnessed my score or my points go down at all.

No, it wasn’t an oversight, because I’m not talking about balance or competition.
I’m talking about custom games. All these trivial features should be able to be modified, and if 343 thought it was a good idea to force a -100 penalty on throwing the ball into a kill boundary, then that WAS a huge mistake.

Although I found a workaround for the -100 points. Just destroy any kill boundary and add a despawn timer if it gets thrown out of bounds.

The feature just limits creativity to the extreme, and its just a shame. -100 points is an absurd punishment, and there is no excuse for locking that option.

> > > However, it is still limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.
> > >
> > > You lose 100 points.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this? I’ve never read this anywhere on the forums or seen it in-game before.
>
> Fenix said he tried it, and it’s not true. I’m a fan of the Ricochet Ball gametype and I’ve never seen someone throw the ball out of bounds and lose points.

Have you ever seen someone throw it out of bounds?

> > > However, it is still limited. You cannot disable ball throwing, which eliminates Assault Remakes. But the mini game killer is the penalty for throwing a ball out of bounds.
> > >
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this? I’ve never read this anywhere on the forums or seen it in-game before.
>
> It can’t be confirmed, because it’s 110% false (in other words, he made it up). I’ve already tested it out with the source gametype.

Proof?

That has got to be the most constructive, breathtaking, and convincing post I’ve ever seen. Now how about you stop flaming people without any proof for it. Waypoint isn’t the place for attitudes like that.

@OP:

Would you mind putting a video of it on your fileshare?

> > >
> >
>
> Fenix said he tried it, and it’s not true. I’m a fan of the Ricochet Ball gametype and I’ve never seen someone throw the ball out of bounds and lose points.

Have you tried it yourself?

Because I did and it made me loose points.

I can confirm it, happened to me and my friend today. I think you have to throw it out a few times before you lose points. I’m not certain of the mechanics or how often you have to do it to lose points but it is true.

looks unfinished

If its true or not someone needs get 343i to confirm it.

The -100 points is true, but the OP here isn’t very clear.

• By “points” he means personal points score (like when you get +5 for an assist, or +10 for a kill), not team score, so it doesn’t impact on gameplay much.
  • You only lose 100 points after a certain number of times “playing ball” (throwing it off, jumping off, it falling off after you drop it, you grenading it off). I have experienced losing 100 personal points in all of the above situations. It is true.
  • In terms of mini-games, it surely can’t be that bad, losing 100 points to your personal score isn’t really that big a deal, especially in custom games.

> Personally I love Ricochet. It’s fast paced, and adds a new fresh element of gameplay, that you can get behind. I mean that in the sense that, it’s like grifball. It’s easy to play, and the teamwork element is amazing. If you have a well functioning team, you can go far, but if you’re on a team of <mark>lone wolves</mark> (Good ones mind you) you can still come out on top. It’s a sport for HALO. And honestly, a -Yoink!- good one.

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE :slight_smile:

I typically run around wrecking the other team Noble 6 style and pave way for the other team, often times I come across the ball and attempt a quick throw or run, but I rarely go negative in Ricochet. Love it.

Ok guys, I’m here to clear this up for you.

The -100 points is TRUE. You WILL lose 100 personal points for an Out of Bounds throw, but there are conditions to this. It works like this:

The player throws a ball out of bounds. When the game detects this, it assigns an invisible “timer” to the player who threw the ball out. The timer is 60 seconds and counts down. If the player throws a ball out of bounds before this timer is up then said player will lose 100 points and said timer will obviously reset back to 60 seconds. Once that timer is up, it’s a leeway throw again. This means you wont be punished.

Essentially there’s a 60 second gap you must wait to throw the ball off a second time without being punished. It’s to discourage just throwing the ball off the map over and over.

> Ok guys, I’m here to clear this up for you.
>
> The -100 points is TRUE. You WILL lose 100 personal points for an Out of Bounds throw, but there are conditions to this. It works like this:
>
> The player throws a ball out of bounds. When the game detects this, it assigns an invisible “timer” to the player who threw the ball out. The timer is 60 seconds and counts down. If the player throws a ball out of bounds before this timer is up then said player will lose 100 points and said timer will obviously reset back to 60 seconds. Once that timer is up, it’s a leeway throw again. This means you wont be punished.
>
> Essentially there’s a 60 second gap you must wait to throw the ball off a second time without being punished. It’s to discourage just throwing the ball off the map over and over.

Good to know, but it seems like those details should be modifiable.

I agree that options should be there.

Give us the tools and options to do things. A sandbox not a sand bucket.

I should download multi team ricochet.