Who actually is Locke?
When did Locke join the UNSC?
Why was Osiris formed?
When did Chief meet Blue team?

Seriously…
Now I love Halo.
The entire franchise.
I’ve watched the movies…
Played all the games (ex. 2 PC and CE PC)

But…these have bothered me since the game came out.
Now I got a bit lost in the story…if I was a new player…I’d be REALLY lost…
When the game first came out…
I thought we’d play the first mission as Chief…
and Chief alone.
But then after a mission or 2, Chief would return to infinity…
And meet Blue team as they explain WHY Blue team are back.

Then, you’d play another few missions as Chief…until he thought he made contact with Cortana…then he’d disappear
So after this, the UNSC would get Locke and make a team to track down the Chief…
And you would play as Locke for a single mission without the rest of Osiris.
And you kinda get the rest…

But this didn’t happen.
We’re just thrown in there with 2 fully functional teams…

Why did 343 do this?
Why did they not explain anything?

TL;DR:
Why did 343 leave so many question unanswered and throw us into 2 fully formed teams with no explanation?

> 2533274924290830;2:
> TL;DR:
> Why did 343 leave so many question unanswered and throw us into 2 fully formed teams with no explanation?

They’re using book lore as set up to their games now

> 2535439780801708;3:
> > 2533274924290830;2:
> > TL;DR:
> > Why did 343 leave so many question unanswered and throw us into 2 fully formed teams with no explanation?
>
>
> They’re using book lore as set up to their games now

And for this…
I hate them.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the books…
But that means more money…

Well, the game is built around squad mechanics, with the whole revive feature and whatnot. I think that’s probably the main reason why we didn’t start out as playing as the Chief alone, or at all without a team.

It sucks, since it does kind of take away from some possibly great story elements. A lot of my favourite times in Halo campaigns were when we were all alone. Just that feeling of facing tons and tons of enemies single-handedly is great. Not to mention that having a team with you that can revive you makes the campaign too easy and much less rewarding…

Maybe gives people who are attached to the story reasoning to buy Halo 6. Leaving out pieces = Profit? Idk. Im with you OP, I kinda gave up on the story when everything was a jumbled up as it was, felt like I was the story was being made up as it went.

> 2533274867011991;6:
> Maybe gives people who are attached to the story reasoning to buy Halo 6. Leaving out pieces = Profit? Idk. Im with you OP, I kinda gave up on the story when everything was a jumbled up as it was, felt like I was the story was being made up as it went.

Pssst, let me tell you a secret…

…Halo 5’s lead writer is terrible. I doubt he intentionally left out any pieces, and probably did just make up the story as he went.

Did you happen to miss these threads back when you asked these questions, or since?

Gotta say, these are all things discussed with some lengthy posting. I do suggest using the search feature with something like “Halo 5 Story.”

There are things that can only really be point form answered because they’ve been discussed quite a bit.
ie,
Tanaka and Blue Team are explained in Escalation.
Vale introduced in Hunters in the Dark.
Buck’s presence is explained in New Blood.
We were introduced to Locke in the movie Nightfall.

Blue Team’s reconnection is explained in Escalation.
Osiris’ creation is explained in H2A.

My issue with all of this stems from how exposition meant for debriefings or between missions was used in mission or not at all.
ie,
Locke should have already explained to Osiris during their formation that Cortana, the Chief and Blue Team are like family. That is not something to “Ohhhhh, I get it it!” In the middle of a mission while lollygagging.
Chief didn’t have to explain to his team on Argent Moon about Cortana. Fred SHOULD have demanded one after they got away from the area and had a few weeks to kill till they got to Meridian.

Just 1 of each of many examples of not-so-great story writing. Because of the 2 no-fighting “levels,” oh yes indeed they could have written things with less forced and improperly timed exposition.