Something to think about

Read entire post before you… post

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

Infinity Ward came up with the right formula in CoD4 and improved on it in each sequel, Modern Warfare 2 and 3 (2007-current era). Bungie had the right formula starting with Halo CE, and they improved on it in Halo 2 and 3 (2001-2007). The reason Halo is dying and CoD is thriving is because Halo is changing it’s formula and it just doesn’t work for the franchise.

It starts with Halo Wars, it’s a RTS, not made by Bungie, no big deal, surely the next Halo game will be worth while, right? ODST, campaign in a box, more humanistic grounded style gameplay, very little multiplayer which can’t even be considered competitive. Fans are disappointed, but this is just an expansion right? It’s got Halo 3 in the title, it’s not a true sequel, Halo Reach is where it’s at.

Halo Reach comes out, mind you it’s been about 3 years since a true Halo game has come out (which isn’t too long). Reach attempts to mix CoD aspects with Halo, there’s a obvious unbalance to this game, it’s supposed to be a true Halo title, but it’s a major let down. Fans grow ever more disconnected with the franchise. Halo CEA, pretty graphics, but I’ve already got that game, and Reach multiplayer? Meh, doesn’t really revitalize anything.

Halo 4, it’s 5 years since Halo 3, the formulas been rewritten and this dampens almost any hope left for the Halo franchise. CoD took advantage of Halo’s downtime (the Wars-Reach era) and is now “the game to have”. Halo has been a shadow in the ever growing gaming industry for the past 5 years, and now that Halo 4 seemingly is introducing even more CoD aspects and losing even more Halo fans in an attempt to acquire new ones, this is really a shot in the dark. It’s either going to be a major hit, or a major flop, only time will tell.

I hope the best for it I really do, but my prediction is Halo 4 will be released, they’ll get barely enough money for Halo 5, and Halo 6 will be canceled. So I’m prepared for the “cool opinion bro”'s or “adapt” and all that but it’s just something that needs to be said.

And without further adieu, comment away.

I really don’t see why people compare Reach to CoD when its the -Yoink- child of this guy and this.

Oh and him, can’t forget this -Yoink- hat.

I have been with Halo since the very beginning, I remember waiting in line at the store for Halo:CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3, and after years of being such a dedicated fan to the series I love the most it really pains me to say that you are correct.

I don’t want these new features. I just want Halo. No stupid gimmicky abilities and perks, just give me Halo and that’s enough.

I’ve always put the story first, then multiplayer as a secondary priority. But if the story sucks and so does the multiplayer I’m completely lost.

Reach was such a letdown for me and after ODST I personally cannot take any more disappointment. If Halo 4 flops, I’m gone. I’ll just have to find something else to enjoy.
I’m a little older now and I’m fairly sure I can live without Halo.

EDIT:
As for the guy above me, you sir, made me laugh my -Yoink- off. I really hope Sage sees that. In fact, I really hope one day he wakes up and realizes that he is probably the sole reason Halo: Reach sucks.

You can’t say that COD is thriving cause most my friends that are COD fans are know saying that M.W.3 sucks and thats it’s the same as all the old ones so they got bored of it and sure halo reach was unbalanced but that doesn’t mean they can’t make the game balanced and still have more option and in opinion NEW developers=NEW game

I agree with what you’re trying to say OP but the examples you have given us are poor.

Let me elaborate, CoD 4 was a fantastic game. One of my favourite FPS titles. Each sequel has had it’s skill (already relatively small) gap purposely lowered for the growing the casual market as the newest gen console hit the mainstream audiences. How many CoD gamers are casuals, who only bought the game just through word of mouth from their friends who are into video games? You’d be surprised that there is quite a lot. I call this the FIFA/CoD crowd. I guess the US equivalent would be Madden/CoD.

If anything MW3 is the least popular CoD game, because surprise surprise, they tried to appeal to both of their casual and competitive markets, changed too much and came out with crap.

But you are correct, it’s the legacy of CoD 4 that still sells Call of Duty games.

Reach’s problem is the fact that it took CE’s core and blended it with not with CoD but with a game called Shadowrun. Should of saw it coming really, as a few of the lead developers worked on that game. Shadowrun was a big flop financially, but fun. The implementation was wrong and well, we got Reach, a game that plays quite differently from the Halo trilogy despite looking aesthetically the same.

Now we have CoD’s influence shadowing the whole FPS community because you are right, it’s popularity was seized on Halo losing it touch with progressive sequels after Halo 2 in my opinion. And it’s gameplay is seen as being ‘popular to the masses’ when in fact a hardcore FPS player doesn’t want it anywhere near their games.

But I do agree, Halo needs to go back to it’s roots that we all resonated with, that we all loved. It needs to go back to it’s trilogy formula. The positive signs is the BR coming back, the not so great signs is things like sprint. But don’t let Reach phase you. People complained about dual-wielding in Halo 2 after all. It all depends on 343i’s way of implementing it.

Whether they’ll add these new things in a way we all can appreciate is another story.

Ultimately though, they could sell a Halo game like hotcakes if it played like CE or H2.

> I agree with what you’re trying to say OP but the examples you have given us are poor.
>
> Let me elaborate, CoD 4 was a fantastic game. One of my favourite FPS titles. Each sequel has had it’s skill (already relatively small) gap purposely lowered for the growing the casual market as the newest gen console hit the mainstream audiences. How many CoD gamers are casuals, who only bought the game just through word of mouth from their friends who are into video games? You’d be surprised that there is quite a lot. I call this the FIFA/CoD crowd. I guess the US equivalent would be Madden/CoD.
>
> If anything MW3 is the least popular CoD game, because surprise surprise, they tried to appeal to both of their casual and competitive markets, changed too much and came out with crap.
>
> But you are correct, it’s the legacy of CoD 4 that still sells Call of Duty games.
>
> Reach’s problem is the fact that it took CE’s core and blended it with not with CoD but with a game called Shadowrun. Should of saw it coming really, as a few of the lead developers worked on that game. Shadowrun was a big flop financially, but fun. The implementation was wrong and well, we got Reach, a game that plays quite differently from the Halo trilogy despite looking aesthetically the same.
>
> Now we have CoD’s influence shadowing the whole FPS community because you are right, it’s popularity was seized on Halo losing it touch with progressive sequels after Halo 2 in my opinion. And it’s gameplay is seen as being ‘popular to the masses’ when in fact a hardcore FPS player doesn’t want it anywhere near their games.
>
> But I do agree, Halo needs to go back to it’s roots that we all resonated with, that we all loved. It needs to go back to it’s trilogy formula. The positive signs is the BR coming back, the not so great signs is things like sprint. But don’t let Reach phase you. People complained about dual-wielding in Halo 2 after all. It all depends on 343i’s way of implementing it.
>
> Whether they’ll add these new things in a way we all can appreciate is another story.
>
> Ultimately though, they could sell a Halo game like hotcakes if it played like CE or H2.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, it’s too early in the morning for me to revise everything I wrote and get my points across precisely.

Halo: Reach feels like a damn Halo game to me. Not much more than Halo 3 did after adding equipment. So we have armor abilities. We run, fly, etc. This doesn’t change the weapons. The physics (for the most part). All the other features of the game. We still kill each other the same way.

I’ve played Shadowrun, and yeah it was fun. But it feels no more like Reach than CoD does. Perks and killstreaks are incomparable to armor abilities. The only playlist where you choose what weapon you spawn with in Reach is Invasion, and that’s only in the advanced phases and is very fun and balanced. Reach is a Halo game.

> Halo: Reach feels like a damn Halo game to me. Not much more than Halo 3 did after adding equipment. So we have armor abilities. We run, fly, etc. This doesn’t change the weapons. The physics (for the most part). All the other features of the game. We still kill each other the same way.
>
> I’ve played Shadowrun, and yeah it was fun. But it feels no more like Reach than CoD does. Perks and killstreaks are incomparable to armor abilities. The only playlist where you choose what weapon you spawn with in Reach is Invasion, and that’s only in the advanced phases and is very fun and balanced. Reach is a Halo game.

Equipment in Halo 3 was fine because it was apart of the map, it had a set spawn and wasn’t overused. Jetpacks ruin map control and sprint allows for players to run from a situation they shouldv’e died in.

Halo 6 canceled?

Yeah, right…

I strongly disagree with OP. I want to see those so-called “CoD fans” that enjoy MW3 so much. Because from what I’ve heard, is that the game is mediocre at best, because so little changes from game to game and is LITERALLY the same thing as the past games. I can look at it and see that. I hate CoD, and knew it was a matter of time before people would see what I saw, and that was that the game never changes. Plus, a game a year for $60 for the same damn thing? People are stupid fools to keep falling for that marketing idea.

I have to say something too, and what I’m going to say is that I disagree.

I just think the game needs to be a little bit fresh with each sequel released. Not too much, but a little bit. Something that is going to make it original.

> You can’t say that COD is thriving cause most my friends that are COD fans are know saying that M.W.3 sucks and thats it’s the same as all the old ones so they got bored of it and sure halo reach was unbalanced but that doesn’t mean they can’t make the game balanced and still have more option and in opinion NEW developers=NEW game

I have heard the same thing. I think a way to improve the game if the armor abilities are to stay is to make them like power weapons, can control of them. That way everyone would be happy. Well, not everyone. But I wouldn’t say COD is thriving anymore than Halo is.

CoD and Reach are awful comparisons to Halo 4. Your judging a game that hasn’t come out on 20 seconds of footage. It doesn’t work! Also, CoD is doing the exact opposite of thriving. It’s dying. Quickly. CoD 4 was the only time CoD had mass popularity. MW3 may have made more money, but compared to CoD 4 in popularity, it’s pathetic!

Many people people boycotted MW2 and 3 because of IW laziness, and it shows through. There is no innovation, graphically or gameplay wise (MW3 used building from CoD4, and that wasn’t an amazing looking game at any rate).

Regardless, innovation is required in games. Halo 4 is effectively a new game coming out of an old franchise, so it should be given the chance to do something new, otherwise we’ll just get another Halo 3 and then the game isn’t worth buying because we already own it.

Don’t compare Call of Duty to Halo. COD has been terrible since World at War, and Halo hit a speed bump with Reach,but,COD is not thriving, it’s dying quickly and Halo is going to be around and thrive for years.

If I was you I wouldn’t worry about halo 4 being bad cause Frank himself said they analyze everything their going to show before it is shown to get a view what one part of the community is going hate and what another is going to like and so on which means that their trying to please everyone as most of us most know their is never a way to please 100% of the community cause we are very unique in the way we like to play halo.

This is the video where he says that skip to 1:10.