Something the community should know

> Halo Wars was originally not a Halo series title. Ensemble spent 12 to 18 months working on the control scheme, using the Age of Mythology engine. The development team hacked an Age of Mythology expansion,The Titans, and used it as a prototype for control experiments.[33] Ensemble found that managing Age of Mythology‍ '​s resources, units, and buildings was too difficult with the console’s controller. “The answer [to making a PC-style strategy game for a console] is actually hidden in the question,” Jason Pace, Microsoft Game Studio’s lead producer, told The New Zealand Herald. “It’s something we believe has held strategy games back from succeeding on the console: you can’t effectively bring a PC-style strategy game to the console because the fundamental game mechanic is tied to the mouse and keyboard input devices. It’s not a question of just changing the control scheme to be gamepad friendly—you need to adapt the underlying strategy mechanic to make sense with the new input device.”[2] Senior designer Justin Rouse said that the team kept the controls from the research they had conducted, but scrapped the rest in favor of “build[ing] from the floor up what we need[ed]: the basics, the core of a strategy game.”[35] With the goal of making “the first great strategy game on the console”,[36] Ensemble streamlined gameplay mechanics; the game’s single resource is produced at each base site, which allows players to quickly cycle through their bases instead of micromanaging multiple resources at many locations.[2]
>
> Once the developers were satisfied with the controls, they presented their project to Microsoft, who suggested that it be turned into a Halo game.[36] Bungie was reportedly not happy about this development. Ensemble’s Founder, Tony Goodman, stated in a 2012 interview that Bungie saw the move as “the -Yoink!- out of our franchise”[37]

Thanks for info OP

What does this mean for Halo Wars 2 on PC and Xbox One with cross platform play?

Yes yes, basic information a long time Halo Wars Player knows and understands. But that still didn’t stop Halo Wars from growing it’s own culture and strategies. It become it’s own cult phenomenon and fast paced entertainment. I’m sure since you’re posting in these forums, you’re well aware of that and I mean in no way to diminish your actions of posting insightful information.

As a personal artistic and cultural enthusiast, I think breaking outside of the expected mold could create something unto itself.

I’m more than sure that most people did not know that, actually. That Halo Wars was not originally supposed to be a Halo title, specifically. Not to mention numerous other points that I didn’t post about Ensemble and their work on Halo Wars.

Of course it grew its own strategies (it’s an RTS, after all). However, it still gets too much spillover from Halo (FPS); people who don’t understand the genre but criticize the game elements anyway. And this is because it’s got the name “Halo” in the title.

I have no idea by what you mean with “culture”… what is Halo Wars’ culture?

> 2533274809541057;5:
> I’m more than sure that most people did not know that, actually. That Halo Wars was not originally supposed to be a Halo title, specifically. Not to mention numerous other points that I didn’t post about Ensemble and their work on Halo Wars.
>
> Of course it grew its own strategies (it’s an RTS, after all). However, it still gets too much spillover from Halo (FPS); people who don’t understand the genre but criticize the game elements anyway. And this is because it’s got the name “Halo” in the title.
>
> I have no idea by what you mean with “culture”… what is Halo Wars’ culture?

i dont know about you, but because of this game, me and my friends play other games and alot of times we yell phases in the game where playing, like paratrooping a bunch of troops in another rts game we always yes ODST DROPPING IN! sure its a halo element but really odst’s where just a small part of the halo universe now the bigger, the nice thing about halo wars culture is that, its not about master chief its not even about spartans its about the bigger picture something you dont see in normal halo games, maybe i just played it to much considering i was top ten in the leaderboards but to me halo wars is the best game, to me halo wars will always be the main game and the first person shooter will be the spin off

> 2533274823909819;6:
> i dont know about you, but because of this game, me and my friends play other games and alot of times we yell phases in the game where playing, like paratrooping a bunch of troops in another rts game we always yes ODST DROPPING IN! sure its a halo element but really odst’s where just a small part of the halo universe now the bigger, the nice thing about halo wars culture is that, its not about master chief its not even about spartans its about the bigger picture something you dont see in normal halo games, maybe i just played it to much considering i was top ten in the leaderboards but to me halo wars is the best game, to me halo wars will always be the main game and the first person shooter will be the spin off

That’s not how it works. Halo Wars is the spin-off and not the other way around. Halo as an FPS is the main event. But God, I love me some Halo Wars.

> 2533274809541057;7:
> > 2533274823909819;6:
> > i dont know about you, but because of this game, me and my friends play other games and alot of times we yell phases in the game where playing, like paratrooping a bunch of troops in another rts game we always yes ODST DROPPING IN! sure its a halo element but really odst’s where just a small part of the halo universe now the bigger, the nice thing about halo wars culture is that, its not about master chief its not even about spartans its about the bigger picture something you dont see in normal halo games, maybe i just played it to much considering i was top ten in the leaderboards but to me halo wars is the best game, to me halo wars will always be the main game and the first person shooter will be the spin off
>
>
> That’s not how it works. Halo Wars is the spin-off and not the other way around. Halo as an FPS is the main event. But God, I love me some Halo Wars.

Rudy. You completely missed the point of that comment.

I believe I do understand. To him it is the spin-off. I did get that. To him, and not actually. He knows it is not, but in terms of personal importance/value it is.
What I said after his post was more of just a comment on the situation. Sorry if it came across as a rebuke.

I was thinking of this at the time. http://e.lvme.me/3o3262p.jpg

nice info…

> 2533274809541057;9:
> I believe I do understand. To him it is the spin-off. I did get that. To him, and not actually. He knows it is not, but in terms of personal importance/value it is.
> What I said after his post was more of just a comment on the situation. Sorry if it came across as a rebuke.
>
> I was thinking of this at the time. http://e.lvme.me/3o3262p.jpg

Lol. Rudy, you totally got the point of that comment.

They should make it for the PC first, then just use the directional pad and one of the sticks on the controller as a mouse, similar to mouse-flying in some modern shooters. The directional pad for mass, fast movements, equivalent to a mouse’s virtual joystick, and one of the XBox sticks as a 0-order controller for precision control, like a basic mouse pointer.

> 2533274840021838;12:
> They should make it for the PC first, then just use the directional pad and one of the sticks on the controller as a mouse, similar to mouse-flying in some modern shooters. The directional pad for mass, fast movements, equivalent to a mouse’s virtual joystick, and one of the XBox sticks as a 0-order controller for precision control, like a basic mouse pointer.

So I’ll just repeat what was said earlier, in case you missed it

> Jason Pace, Microsoft Game Studio’s lead producer, told The New Zealand Herald. “It’s something we believe has held strategy games back from succeeding on the console: you can’t effectively bring a PC-style strategy game to the console because the fundamental game mechanic is tied to the mouse and keyboard input devices. It’s not a question of just changing the control scheme to be gamepad friendly—you need to adapt the underlying strategy mechanic to make sense with the new input device.”