Something that will make Halo a game for everyone!

Halo: Reach was recently released and was a huge commercial success. It’s current population, however, shows that it was not as successful as Halo 3 (It is still HUGELY successful and is my favourite game out at the moment). Many posters on the Bungie.net forums have attributed this to the pace of the game, and many more to armour abilities.

In the next Halo game (or perhaps even Reach if possible through an update), could we please see enhanced weapon damage customization options? Currently, altering the damage percentage messes up the sandbox and is not useful when designing a competitive and/or balanced gametype. Enhancing weapon damage customizability would allow people to alter Halo to feel like any fps game. It would also make it easier for the developer to implement new playlists into Matchmaking that really change the pace of the game and appeal to larger audiences.

It would work by allowing players to change the damage of individual weapons.

An example:

Specific Weapon Damage settings:

Assault Rifle: 50%
Battle Rifle: 115% (Reviving the Battle Rifle wouldn’t hurt either!)
DMR: 110%
Grenades:85%

So on and so forth.

If players are allowed to alter the damage of specific weapons by 5% increments, it would literally allow Halo to function like any FPS out on the market (with the exception of games like BulletStorm) and would complete Halo’s customizability. You guys are the ones in charge of all things Halo now, so I posted this in your forums instead of Bungie’s. Please do this in at least in the next Halo title, because it would make Halo (as stated in the title) be a game for everyone. If a 343 or Microsoft employee working on Halo ever reads this, PLEASE acknowledge with a reply and earn yourselves a reputation for listening to the community just as Bungie did.

Community responses are wanted/needed aswell.

Honestly, I’m surprised this wasn’t already included in previous titles.

Very simple feature, very useful to players.

Agreed.

Thankyou for your response. It is imperitave, if we are to get this thread noticed, that everyone who has an opinion shares it in a reply post. Please, if you see this thread, acknowledge my idea with a response. It could be as simple as I agree, or I don’t like it. The more posts the better.

It’s not the options I am against. But the ideas both spoken and implied that such specific options can lead to.

Fair enough, those were just some examples that I know many in the Bungie.net community wanted. These options would not be limited to the ideas I have stated. They would be there to increase customizability and make the game possible for anyone to pick up, whether they would like a faster paced shooter or not.

They can be used completely for fun, it doesn’t matter. If they were there it wouldn’t hurt anyone.

Your responses are much appreciated!

No need to defend, there’s no… need. And besides, it could end up causing more confusion than it settles. :wink:

A significant part of the Reach community is learning to design and playtest maps; to many, it’s part of the game’s appeal just as much as playing a game of slayer or firefight, if not more. This would simply be a quite natural step following on Forge 2.0 and the Firefight customization Bungie provided us in Reach.

It’s a brave new gaming world out there when game design is being put into the hands of the players. I think it’s a good thing overall. :slight_smile:

That would be pretty good but if there are so many options we should have dedi servers like in Gears 3. If they would make that than they don´t need to spend to much time on balancing things but spending more time on campaign.

> A significant part of the Reach community is learning to design and playtest maps; to many, it’s part of the game’s appeal just as much as playing a game of slayer or firefight, if not more. This would simply be a quite natural step following on Forge 2.0 and the Firefight customization Bungie provided us in Reach.
>
> It’s a brave new gaming world out there when game design is being put into the hands of the players. I think it’s a good thing overall. :slight_smile:

I whole heartedly agree that design tools being put in the hands of the gamer is a good thing. Not only does it increase the life span of the game it also adds a whole new layer to its experience.

Adding these extra damage options may not be something on the scale of Forge World 2.0, but they would definately be a huge improvement on the current options. They alone give the player the potential to create their own weapon sandbox and make the game perfect for them and their friends. It would also make it much easier for the developer to fix over and under powered weapons without involving a TU.

Thankyou for your response.

> That would be pretty good but if there are so many options we should have dedi servers like in Gears 3. If they would make that than they don´t need to spend to much time on balancing things but spending more time on campaign.

Don’t worry about the campaign, it is in safe hands. 343 have been handling all of the fiction outside of the Halo games in the form of novels, cartoons, comics and Waypoint. I have read all of the Halo novels (currently reading Cryptum) and they all have great stories. 343 are going to provide us with a stellar performance when it comes to campaign and storyline.

Thankyou for your response.

I don´t want to be here the pessimist but did 343 actually write the stories for the books? I think no. They haven´t done any game yet so we can´t say if they will fail or if we can know that Halo is good hands.

> I don´t want to be here the pessimist but did 343 actually write the stories for the books? I think no. They haven´t done any game yet so we can´t say if they will fail or if we can know that Halo is good hands.

They may not have written the stories for the books but they did choose the people who did. They have shown that they know how to employ people who are talented in this area.

Please try to keep this thread alive. It is something that will silence many of the complaints by people in future Halo games.

Gametype: Classic

Pistol: 150%
AR: 150%
DMR: 0%
Shotty: 100%
Etc.
New weapons set to 0%. classic ones set to however many their original was.

> Gametype: Classic
>
> Pistol: 150%
> AR: 150%
> DMR: 0%
> Shotty: 100%
> Etc.
> New weapons set to 0%. classic ones set to however many their original was.

That is exactly the point I am trying to make in this thread! A Halo game with these customization options has the potential to play like any Halo game, with the help of the settings already there and Forge.

I pretty much agree with this 100%. Don’t just sell the same old Halo game with a few tweaks here and there… sell the same old Halo game, but with the ability to turn it into something like any other FPS you want while retaining that same, enchanting Halo feeling. That’s what I’m looking for.

And it can go way beyond advanced weapons customizations. Maybe give us more advanced custom games options in general, make firefight more customizable, and give forge some major customization updates as well.

Why buy every different kind of FPS game out there when you can have them all on one disk? Great thread.

I would love this! Also make it so that you can change the value to negative(healing gun FTW) this would be awesome for custom games.

> I would love this! Also make it so that you can change the value to negative(healing gun FTW) this would be awesome for custom games.

Hah! That’s a really cool idea!

> I pretty much agree with this 100%. Don’t just sell the same old Halo game with a few tweaks here and there… sell the same old Halo game, but with the ability to turn it into something like any other FPS you want while retaining that same, enchanting Halo feeling. That’s what I’m looking for.
>
> And it can go way beyond advanced weapons customizations. Maybe give us more advanced custom games options in general, make firefight more customizable, and give forge some major customization updates as well.
>
> Why buy every different kind of FPS game out there when you can have them all on one disk? Great thread.

Agree with you 100%. I actually think that that is what 343 Industries should say in their vidocs for the next Halo game, “Why buy every different FPS out there when you can have them all in one disc!”

Another great thing to see in the next Halo game would be options that let us change all percentages (movement speeds, jump heights, gravity etc.) by 5% increments. This would really give people the tools to create a completely unique gametype.