something that i miss from CE

anyone remember before team shotting was so neccesary? i know people are going to be omg team work but i like how CE it wasnt so forced. it was a lot more fun that way. anyone want this style of play to return in halo 5 or 6? makes me sad its only in CE which has no online unless ur playing on the bullet lag fest on computer

omg wtf is wrong with this site? i cant eve make a new reply its so laggy and slow. anyways yea im talking about multiple people shooting at the same target at once. to me it makes the game more about positions and being in the right spot with the right amount of teammates when playing against good players. thats why i love about CE you can 1v3 someone if you wanted. i just wanted halo 1 remake to have online so bad and they missed on it. i think if halo 2 anni has online multiplayer ill be very pissed if it has the same amount of aim assist. because that means since everyone has an aim bot the only thing is team work

Halo: CE was not online competitive multiplayer. Betraying people you know personally? That’s funny. Getting betrayed by some random? Not so much.

wait what im not talking about betrays

> Halo: CE was not online competitive multiplayer. Betraying people you know personally? That’s funny. Getting betrayed by some random? Not so much.

Halo CE Xbox wasn’t, but Halo CE PC was, I think that’s the MP OP is talking about.

What is team shotting?

OP is referring to multiple people on one team shooting at the same opponent, at the same time.
He’s saying that in CE, you could basically go around killing people on your own, but in H2 and forward, to win, you usually have to shoot together as a team.

Everything that was good about CE has been heavily nerfed or removed in recent Halo games. I can’t say I miss it because I can just go play it rather than tolerate this new nonsense.

In every Halo to date we’ve seen the decrease of individual “power/skill” and the increase in team based play.

I’d prefer more of a Halo 3 balance to the gun play, team work was rewarded but taking multiple opponents or even an entire team out with just BR/grenades was still possible.

In Reach if you don’t have a massive power weapon like rockets or a vehicle you’re rarely going to wipe the floor with an enemy team.

Sure I like team work but for online play I prefer individual “power” if you will. To me it seems like Halo 4 has returned some of the balance between individual and team based play. Just look at personal ordnance drops etc.

It’s the classic and other modes without personal ordnance or loadout that makes me curious how the gun play is factored? Individual power or team power or a balance between both?

> What is team shotting?

When a team is focusing fire on a single player.

I 100 percent agree with you OP, CE has that explosive individual skill factor the others dont really have. It took Button combos for H2 to reach even anywhere near the individual skill cap in H1. The OGRES Halo 1+2 legends, never lost a 2v2 Halo 1 match in tournament play that would never happen in newer Halo games with the individual skill decrease.

It all goes back to Bungie wanting to make Halo more about “encounters” than “gun battles” and that makes sense seeing as how the game is based on being able to sufficiently combine combat tactics for the quickest kills. The kill times were made longer to allow sufficient room for new additions like equipment and AA’s that without a doubt are mostly defensive in nature and create “mini-encounters”. I believe its mostly because Halo was made as a single-player/universe focused shooter first, single-player games tend to favor “encounters” over Quick gun battles like you would see in a tactical shooter. Look at Mass Effect for proof of that.

I think kill times should of been bumped in Reach to compensate for the heavy defensive AA’s and I still think in H4 they could be a tad faster. They should be around H2 levels for the optimal Teamwork/Individual skill ratio while still maintaining the balance between combat tactics. Maybe even quicker with all these AA’s and sprint lengthening encounters.

Of course traditional multiplayer FPS players tend to prefer gun v gun skill battles, while Single-player fans of Halo probably prefer the more leisurely pace of the game that allows multiple tactic uses to shine in each encounter.

So in short, single-player still drives alot of the overall gameplay additions in Halo I believe and that is why kill times wont ever be CE levels again.

> > What is team shotting?
>
> When a team is focusing fire on a single player.

I believe this was a satirical comment implying ‘team shotting’ isn’t proper grammar.

It should be ‘team shooting.’

I can’t say I agree, I on more than one occasion have carried a team to victory. But H4 has got a good balance between team work and individual skill IMO. I have given it a good play through at Eurogamer and my individual ability to kill has multiplied greatly in comparison to reach, which is a much slower and way higher team focused game. It rewards my accuracy much more as well (which may be a big reason for all the BR complainers) as I am capable of downing someone who gets the drop on me.

Higher mobility doesn’t necessarily mean higher survival rate unlike in Reach, your shields drop too quickly and you can get bleed through damage. So there isn’t a ridiculously long battle between two people that will alert, and cause the entire team to zero in on you before you even drop someones shield.

Promthean vision and the “SR” (yes situational record sounds a bit corny, but makes sense as RVB is a spartan training operation) Prevents camping and FORCES map awareness on your idiotic team mates. This keeps the game flowing, and prevents absolute team domination from positioning. (We will see how it plays out though because someone smoewhere will figure SOMETHING out.)

and the range of weapons and change up choices enables you to counter players to optimize your individual performance, so that one guy or two guys that keep swording/shotgunning you with that sniper in the back isn’t going to be a common occurance.

the tl;dr version. Don’t be so presumptious and think more critically of your choices and how it affects gameplay. You have a lot of options in H4, It rewards cooperation but it doesn’t punish the individual either.

The other Halos didn’t have 3 shot kill pistols either. That’s why it wasn’t necessary to team shot. One player alone had the firepower of 3 or 4 DMRs shooting at the same target and then some. Of course if you did it CE, your targets would drop but the individual skill made up for it in case there was a lack of coordination or you happen to be by you’re self.

Halo 2 had button combos but those were glitches (not because Bungie was thinking of the competitive crowd and “accidentally” let them in the final build.) and not everyone could do them without practice. Halo 3 didn’t have the three shot pistol or signifgant button combos to exploit, team shooting became more essential. Reach (sans CE A Playlist) was the one that focused entirely on teh teamshot and less of individual skill (though that still matters at the core of a players skill set in any Halo IMO).

> What is team shotting?

It’s when players focus on one target and shoot at him/her at the same time. Doing this kills a player very fast; so fast that unless they are being backed up, they will not be able to doing anything but die. However, it requires good communication, aim, and coordination to do team shooting.

Players in BTB tend to team shot vehicles like the Banshee or the Warthog to take them out faster as well since they have the capability to kill you fast or in the Warthogs case, able to help flag/bomb carriers to back to their base.

That’s Team Shooting 101 right there.

> The other Halos didn’t have 3 shot kill pistols either. That’s why it wasn’t necessary to team shot. One player alone had the firepower of 3 or 4 DMRs shooting at the same target and then some.

To be fair, it was not just the pistol. The Sandbox would not of been as balanced as it is if it were not for the other Sandbox items most notably the sniper, plasma rifle, plasma pistol, shotgun, and rockets being just as effective and more powerful than their successors. Even the AR had a 60 bullet clip and was more reliable than the pistol in CQB.

> Halo 2 had button combos but those were glitches (not because Bungie was thinking of the competitive crowd and “accidentally” let them in the final build.) and not everyone could do them without practice.

H1 had button combos similar to H2 so its safe to say Bungie was already aware of them. I dont think they were intentional but I dont think it was a pressing issue to get rid of them or they would of.

> Halo 3 didn’t have the three shot pistol or signifgant button combos to exploit, team shotting became more essential. Reach (sans CE) was the one that focused entirely on teh teamshot and less of individual skill (though that still matters at the core of a players skill set).

Halo 3 also was the first Halo game to introduce encounter lengthening equipment, a purposely implemented spread on the BR to make it less accurate at range, and the hugest overall nerf to the Sandbox between any Halo game. Grenades WAY weaker, dual wields less effective, rockets nerfed, shotgun nerfed, sword nerfed, sniper nerfed, PP nerfed NOTHING in the Sandbox got stronger from H1 to H3 it was all purposely nerfed to allow this equipment/encounter style combat to emerge even more.

So while button combos and the pistol had some to do with the increased kill times, it was not the reason why the Sandbox overall is definitely more nerfed in later Halo titles. Put in you’re Halo 1 disk and the difference becomes apparent, even the maps are way smaller and more fitted for Arena style play.

> In every Halo to date we’ve seen the decrease of individual “power/skill” and the increase in team based play.

> To be fair, it was not just the pistol. The Sandbox would not of been as balanced as it is if it were not for the other Sandbox items most notably the sniper, plasma rifle, plasma pistol, shotgun, and rockets being just as effective and more powerful than their successors. Even the AR had a 60 bullet clip and was more reliable than the pistol in CQB.

Oh i know the pistol wasn’t the only factor, i was just focusing on the pistol itself and nothing more on the issue of Team Shooting. This was back in the day where it was just the players, power ups on pick up, and the weapons on the map. A simple sandbox but an effective one

> H1 had button combos similar to H2 so its safe to say Bungie was already aware of them. I dont think they were intentional but I dont think it was a pressing issue to get rid of them or they would of.

Perhaps this is due to how popular they became or perhaps didn’t want to patch them due to cost concerns or time constraints? I know they patched the BR to be better, so i am not sure on this one.

> Halo 3 also was the first Halo game to introduce encounter lengthening equipment, a purposely implemented spread on the BR to make it less accurate at range, and the hugest overall nerf to the Sandbox between any Halo game. Grenades WAY weaker, dual wields less effective, rockets nerfed, shotgun nerfed, sword nerfed, sniper nerfed, PP nerfed NOTHING in the Sandbox got stronger from H1 to H3 it was all purposely nerfed to allow this equipment/encounter style combat to emerge even more.

As with Skullgirls ( i know a fighting game) it’s better to buff everything and balance it out that way rather than make everything less effective with nerfs and new ideas that slow down the game rather contribute to the fast pace of it as in Halo 3. I liked Halo 3 a lot despite the problems but slower kill times were evident.

> So while button combos and the pistol had some to do with the <mark>increased kill times</mark>, it was not the reason why the Sandbox overall is definitely more nerfed in later Halo titles. Put in you’re Halo 1 disk and the difference becomes apparent, even the maps are way smaller and more fitted for Arena style play.

You mean decreased kill times :stuck_out_tongue: Increased would mean slower gameplay, which CE wasn’t slow but rather brutal and skill based.

> As with Skullgirls ( i know a fighting game) it’s better to buff everything and balance it out that way rather than make everything less effective with nerfs and new ideas that slow down the game rather contribute to the fast pace of it as in Halo 3. I liked Halo 3 a lot despite the problems but slower kill times were evident.

Agreed, H3 almost played like a Rainbow Six game at times with the huge stand-offs and how coordinated you almost had to be to get kills and capture flags. In H1 and H2 to a much lesser extent you did not need that level of Team-shot so it opened up more map routes for players and different strategies.

The most evident change is in the strategy of the game, H1+H2 was about controlling certain areas of the map, while H3+Reach are about moving and shooting as a team because of the restraints on what one person can do against a similar skilled team. Things like Flag tossing and the spawn system also play a large part in that, but I am not sure the forced team-shot of newer Halo games is beneficial in fact its definitely more of a boring way to play the game.

With all these new AA’s with even a “Regen field” being added you would think kill times would need to be bumped to H2 levels at least to keep the game from stagnating and AA’s from being OP like Reach.

What I miss most about CE is…WARTHOG FLIPS!!!

Goodness just play SWAT. You can take a whole team in just four shots.