something needs to be done to combat smurfs

i’ve been playing halo 5 for quite some times now. like every game, so long after its releade people start trying to get any advantage they can rather than play the game. smurfing an account is a big issue. more than likely everyone who has played H5 has come into contact with a smurf. they are becoming more and more prevelant in the game. as of now the only way to combat them is to report them. this is unfortunate because smurfing is a form of cheating. if one were to install any kind of mod they would almost certainly be banned right? the same thing should be for smurfs.

there are several ways to tell a smurf account from a new “good” player

1. are they going beast mode?
    -a smurf account is obviously going to be doing extremely well for their level and rank
  2. check their stats…
  • if a player has relativly now or few stats this means they are very new to the game.
    3)check their gamerscore…
  • a smurf account will have almost no gamerscore >200 becasue its a new account made to bypass any ranking system
  1. ask them (or accuse) them of smurfing…
    any person who truly did nothing wrong will immediatly take offense to being accused of smurfing. they wont necessarily start namecalling and saying you just suck either. if some of the first words that come out of a persons mouth are “you just suck” not only might they be smurfing and trying to hide it but go ahead and report them for using disrespectful language.

i honestly think there needs to be a private forum or someone (or group of someones) to send messages to about any accounts that may be smurfing or cheating. these accounts should go into an investigation and if found to be smurf be banned from the game on all other accounts as well as forums.

are there any other ways you guys know to deterine whether someone is smurfing let me know. also what do you try to do to combat smurf accounts?

This is such a big thing, and it destroys the enjoyment of the game for all lower ranked. i am usually gold-plat-diam and i rarely go a game without some smurf fool on the other team, often more than one. It should at least be fixed in ranked and lock the game to allow only one account to be used in ranked. Its beyond stupid, lower ranks mean nothing because most of the time you are just getting trashed by smurfs.

You guys should read through these posts, oldest to newest. Josh addresses smurfs.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-archive/1e3930f4-df85-440d-ab4f-d265d3e4ad31/posts

> 2533274796457055;3:
> You guys should read through these posts, oldest to newest. Josh addresses smurfs.
>
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-archive/1e3930f4-df85-440d-ab4f-d265d3e4ad31/posts

Ive seen those, but nothing is really being done right?

> 2533274966784066;4:
> > 2533274796457055;3:
> > You guys should read through these posts, oldest to newest. Josh addresses smurfs.
> >
> > https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-archive/1e3930f4-df85-440d-ab4f-d265d3e4ad31/posts
>
> Ive seen those, but nothing is really being done right?

Either you didn’t read or you’re being intentionally obtuse.

They’re working on a solution. How is that “nothing being done”?

If Gargamel can’t get rid of smurfs, then I don’t have high hopes for anyone else trying to get rid of them. I don’t agree about banning them. How would 343 or MS prove that it’s the same person and not someone else like a family member?

Don’t be noobs and just beato the stupid smurfs and that’s it. The second anyone faces a challenge these days they fold like paper

> 2533274793070793;7:
> Don’t be noobs and just beato the stupid smurfs and that’s it. The second anyone faces a challenge these days they fold like paper

You’re telling Silver and Gold players to “just beat the stupid smurfs(Diamond and Onyx players)”. If they could do that, they would probably already be Diamond or Onyx. When the other team has a smurf that is by far the best player in the game, do you “just beat the stupid smurf”? I doubt you follow your own advice. Legit Silver and Gold players aren’t capable of beating smurfs, as easily you are indicating

> 2533274793070793;7:
> Don’t be noobs and just beato the stupid smurfs and that’s it. The second anyone faces a challenge these days they fold like paper

i had a champ 68 actually admit to me that he uses a smurf account. there’s a difference between getting better GRADUALLY and being matched against someone who is obviouisly much better than you. thats like saying 1v1 jordan and if you get crapped on “oh well you should just learn to play the game better” if youre not going to provide anything productive and just comment nonsense, just leave, get off forums and go “not be a noob” somewhere else

Agreed.

It’s Getting worse and worse. I’m notting kidding when I say every other game has a smurf in it. Absolutely ridiculous.

> 2659268351405841;11:
> It’s Getting worse and worse. I’m notting kidding when I say every other game has a smurf in it. Absolutely ridiculous.

I was playing the Proving Grounds playlist earlier and at the end of every game I had to report and block at least one person every time due to smurfing. Unfortunately there is no way for 343 to “prove” someone is a smurf.
I have ended up not bothering with Ranked ever unless it is a season refresh.

I thought they would be able to trace these …smurf,accounts by now. Between that and these auto-bots, this is where the player puts a card into the controller and it just takes a few steps so many seconds, in warzone that they would start pulling their gamer tag and xbox offline. Bungie used to do that.

[deleted]

> 2535456765995249;14:
> until the pros say they need to shut smurfing down they wont do anything about it

Maybe some sarcasm in that post, but it highlights an important point. That right there is why Halo will never be considered a real ‘sport’ and is bad for the growth of e-sports as a legitimate form of competition. You can go on Twitch or Youtube any given day and find Pros on smurf accounts wrecking noobs and betraying team mates for power weapons. You know what happens to top athletes in sports with governing bodies who crap on newcomers to their sport and cheat during competitions??? ??? ??? Instead, Real Sport Pros give seminars and have camps dedicated to bringing in and educating newbs. It’s fine and funny to mess around in customs with friends or during scrims, but when a player who can brag bout being one of the very best needs to stroke their ego in Arena against lower ranked players who are really trying, something’s missing. And it trickles down to the fans. There’s a long list of players of all skill levels willing to play with them any time of day or night. I really like Halo for what it is and I know Josh has outlined a few possible changes, but it also needs to start with the right attitude from the top players. If “it’s just a video game” is considered a legit excuse for poor sportsmanship they (both 343 and their Pros) will never sell the general public on the concept of e-sports. It’s their game and they can make it into whatever they want. Being “just a video game” is fine too, but let’s be honest here. As long as the negative behavior is considered entertaining by some members of the community and 343, Halo will be thought of by many as a virtual, plastic toy marketed to selfish, spoiled kids who don’t yet know how to behave, and any legitimate skill they might possess will never be recognized.

> 2533274796457055;5:
> > 2533274966784066;4:
> > > 2533274796457055;3:
> > > You guys should read through these posts, oldest to newest. Josh addresses smurfs.
> > >
> > > https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-archive/1e3930f4-df85-440d-ab4f-d265d3e4ad31/posts
> >
> > Ive seen those, but nothing is really being done right?
>
> Either you didn’t read or you’re being intentionally obtuse.
>
> They’re working on a solution. How is that “nothing being done”?

Because “working on a solution” without providing any kind of information or timeline to your customers equates to not really doing anything.

You can still boost and get tons of CSR or play with all champ’s and get 1 csr.

The update did nothing

343i is aware of the problem and a solution is in the works thank goodness.