Something I need to get off my chest here.

  • Modernization is just a buzzword. Adding mechanics like Sprint, Clamber, etc, are not a reason to modernize Halo, nor are they modern mechanics.- Change is neutral, it is not immune to criticism (I feel as if I am the only one who knows what the word means), and those who are against any sort of change in Halo make up at least 10% of the community. Just because people are unhappy with the decisions that 343i are making with Halo 5, does not mean they are against change. It is not complaining if people actually have valid reasons to not like the current direction that Halo 5 is taking.- I am well-aware that people are giving so much critique of a game that 99% of them has not played yet. They should criticize (or in your words, “complain”) because we already have two games that utterly broke the Halo formula. What many of you fail to understand is that fans of the series are very passionate about Halo, they only what Halo 5 to be the best game next year, just like all of you who keeps spouting that “you are just afraid of change” nonsense. Nobody wants a carbon copy of CE/2/3, and those games were already different and evolutionary.- The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.Now that all my anger has been transported into the paragraphs above, I feel better now. Before we start typing/texting without using our brains, how about we actually play the beta before we decide what is good or bad about the game? That is all I ask, it is not that complicated, people.

This. People may dislike the changes being made, but that doesn’t mean they dislike change itself. The issue is how the game changes, and what direction it ‘evolves’ in.

> 2533274806427910;1:
> They should criticize (or in your words, “complain”) because we already have two games that utterly broke the Halo formula. What many of you fail to understand is that fans of the series are very passionate about Halo, they only what Halo 5 to be the best game next year, just like all of you who keeps spouting that “you are just afraid of change” nonsense. Nobody wants a carbon copy of CE/2/3, and those games were already different and evolutionary.

I ask again, what is the Halo formula? I may be too cross-wired to see this but like you said, CE/2/3 were different and revolutionary from each other and I see no basis of comparison to define classic Halo. Only thing I can think of is the drawn-out firefights, with even 4 had and the fact that each Halo title was vastly different. So in a way, I see the Halo formula as revolutionary change from one title to the next, player reactions be -Yoink!-.

> 2533274806427910;1:
> The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.

Is it wrong that I take extreme offence to this statement? I love the lore and honestly, I am in the camp that really want the Spartans’ capabilities fully shown in the games. I just see the SAs as techniques to expand on the basics, without which you would still get wiped.

> 2533274873310828;3:
> > 2533274806427910;1:
> > The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.
>
>
> Is it wrong that I take extreme offence to this statement? I love the lore and honestly, I am in the camp that really want the Spartans’ capabilities fully shown in the games. I just see the SAs as techniques to expand on the basics, without which you would still get wiped.

Well, I’m sure you aren’t the only one. However, in the end, it’s what makes makes the game fun to play, not what makes the game the make sense. (To the majority).

It is completely fine and understandable that you believe Spartans should function like futuristic soldiers. However, it isn’t exactly the argument and opinion that this community will side with you on. Trust me, I know.

> 2533274873310828;3:
> > 2533274806427910;1:
> > The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.
>
>
> Is it wrong that I take extreme offence to this statement? I love the lore and honestly, I am in the camp that really want the Spartans’ capabilities fully shown in the games. I just see the SAs as techniques to expand on the basics, without which you would still get wiped.

To be honest? Yeah. I love the lore too, but saying ‘spartans should be able to do X’ is kind of ridiculous.

Once you start witht that line of thinking, where does it end? Spartans should also be able to go prone, dual wield and fire in different directions, run 60 km/h, heavily customzie their weapons, enter into protracted hand to hand engagments with other spartans(and elites for that matter), take out their knives when they run out of ammo, probably throw them too, etc, etc.

The list could go on and on. The bottom line is that it is a video game and as such there are people who like Halo because of its specific gameplay alone(or in addition to the lore). Whether you like them or not the changes that fall under the “make them feel like spartans”, change how the game is played. They may like how the new gameplay works out, but that does not mean they don’t like the original gameplay anymore.

The problem I have is that the original Halo trilogy has been declared ‘outdated’ with no evidence. Not being the most popular(as in #1) is not the same thing as being unprofitable.

> 2533274974457747;4:
> > 2533274873310828;3:
> > > 2533274806427910;1:
> > > The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Is it wrong that I take extreme offence to this statement? I love the lore and honestly, I am in the camp that really want the Spartans’ capabilities fully shown in the games. I just see the SAs as techniques to expand on the basics, without which you would still get wiped.
>
>
> Well, I’m sure you aren’t the only one. However, in the end, it’s what makes makes the game fun to play, not what makes the game the make sense. (To the majority).
>
> It is completely fine and understandable that you believe Spartans should function like futuristic soldiers. However, it isn’t exactly the argument and opinion that this community will side with you on. Trust me, I know.

I’ll discard the idea of what makes sense in the lore for now.

I’ll take CoD as an example again, where you played as a highly trained but still normally human (sans increased damage tolerance) and were constrained by what normal humans could do. Halo is essentially the same; oversized Marines in armour that don’t do much a normal human can’t. Which means not that different from normal shooters either.

Now I think we being able to go beyond physical human means of combat would be a mark from other shooters and create a new set of rules of combat everyone can enjoy, because we are beyond any human limitations that restrict us from more innovative options in combat. The concept is definitely far from polished, but if function eventually matched purpose, it will be an extremely good pay off.

Of course, like you said, my stand may be too cross wired for anyone to side with. :frowning:

> 2533274819446242;5:
> > 2533274873310828;3:
> > > 2533274806427910;1:
> > > The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works, stop using that flawed argument as a defensive mechanism for Spartans not being able to do certain abilities that we have never seen in the games. No Halo game has ever come close to emulating what these super-soldiers are capable of. Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Is it wrong that I take extreme offence to this statement? I love the lore and honestly, I am in the camp that really want the Spartans’ capabilities fully shown in the games. I just see the SAs as techniques to expand on the basics, without which you would still get wiped.
>
>
> The problem I have is that the original Halo trilogy has been declared ‘outdated’ with no evidence. Not being the most popular(as in #1) is not the same thing as being unprofitable.

I forgot to add that paragraph in my original post.

People who say Halo is outdated are incorrect. If it really were to be outdated, would Halo still exist until now? And why are they here? If they really belived that they wouldn’t be here talking about Halo but probably be playing COD. Those people contradict themselves and make the game worse.

> 2535472193210537;8:
> People who say Halo is outdated are incorrect. If it really were to be outdated, would Halo still exist until now? And why are they here? If they really belived that they wouldn’t be here talking about Halo but probably be playing COD. Those people contradict themselves and make the game worse.

100% agree with this. The only games to fail were the ones to modernize it. That’s why we don’t want “modernization.”

Many excellent points!

And for the record, Halo’s core principles, imo:

  • Always being able to shoot, jump and throw grenades, therefore always at the ready(sprint ruins this)
  • Two men enters, the better man leaves(With sprint it’s just, the guy who got caught sprinting leaves)

Halo is big enough that it can dictate partially what is modern. I think 343i’s biggest mistake is not having faith in the property they were given. If they ave believed Halo was as strong a franchise as it is, they could have built upon it, instead of simply changing it. Evolve, don’t change for change’s sake. 343i changed because they didn’t think they were cool enough for the other kids at the block. That’s one individual lost to the world of assimilation.

You say Halo games will and have never come close to feeling like an actual Spartan super soldier. So does that mean no one should ever try? It’s like “don’t copy Halo 2” but when they add ideas people say “it’s not Halo! Waaaahhhh!”
Halo 5 will be a good game. You are looking at default features in a competitive slayer setting. Other matchmaking modes could not have thrusters, or sprinting. Who knows? 343i is the only one who knows this game.

> 2533274877056440;11:
> You say Halo games will and have never come close to feeling like an actual Spartan super soldier. So does that mean no one should ever try? It’s like “don’t copy Halo 2” but when they add ideas people say "it’s not Halo! Waaaahhhh!"
> Halo 5 will be a good game. You are looking at default features in a competitive slayer setting. Other matchmaking modes could not have thrusters, or sprinting. Who knows? 343i is the only one who knows this game.

None of my statements had nothing to do with this bolded sentence. Just read the novels, you will see why adding mechanics just for the sake “of feeling like a spartan” is not smart video game design choice. What is more important to you? Realism or balance? And I want you to know that I am skeptical about Halo 5, and I have every reason to be. Halo 4’s population dropped like a rock, and TMCC’s MM is still not fixed. You are saying that people should wait until they played the beta so they can have an opinion on it (I believed that was on your thread I just read), but then you assume “Halo 5 will be a good game” without giving any explanation why. How do you know a game will be good if only the developers know about it? That could only mean you time-traveled! If you actually did, can you tell me that Valve will learn to count to 3 next year?

> 2533274806427910;1:
> Modernization is just a buzzword. Adding mechanics like Sprint, Clamber, etc, are not a reason to modernize Halo, nor are they modern mechanics.
>
> You’re entirely missing the point of the argument if your counter-argument is “LOL SEVEN YEARS AGO ISN’T MODERN”. It’s a hell of a lot more modern than the year 1990.
> If we want to be intellectually honest, yes it is a buzzword. So are a ton of other words people on the opposite side of the fence use.
> Change is neutral, it is not immune to criticism (I feel as if I am the only one who knows what the word means), and those who are against any sort of change in Halo make up at least 10% of the community.
>
> I’m laughing because you said they make up AT LEAST 10% of the community. I’m not sure that’s what you were trying to say.
> Nobody wants a carbon copy of CE/2/3
>
> Please don’t make me go mining for quotes. Apparently 10% of the community does anyways.
> The “super-soldiers are suppose to do have insert ability here” never works
>
> I agree completely. Such a meaningless argument.
> Halo 5 and any after it will be no different. Deal with it.
>
> I wasn’t aware you were 343I.

> 2533274819302824;13:
> You’re entirely missing the point of the argument if your counter-argument is “LOL SEVEN YEARS AGO ISN’T MODERN”. It’s a hell of a lot more modern than the year 1990.
> If we want to be intellectually honest, yes it is a buzzword. So are a ton of other words people on the opposite side of the fence use.

You are the one that clearly missed my point if actually thought that was my counter-argument.

> I’m laughing because you said they make up AT LEAST 10% of the community. I’m not sure that’s what you were trying to say.

I should be laughing at you because it seems as if you failed to understand that I was just over-exaggerating.

> Please don’t make me go mining for quotes. Apparently 10% of the community does anyways.

It is your choice rather or not you want to waste your time, not me.

> I agree completely. Such a meaningless argument.

We actually agree on something, finally.

> I wasn’t aware you were 343I.

Wow, another pointless sentence. Good job. By the way, quote me properly instead of putting your sentences on my original post and bolding them.

> 2533274806427910;14:
> > Please don’t make me go mining for quotes. Apparently 10% of the community does anyways.
>
>
>
> It is your choice rather or not you want to waste your time, not me.

I don’t believe you can deny you just saw evidence of his statement a few hours ago though right? I don’t know the numbers, but the bigots are definitely still numerous.

> 2533274806427910;14:
> > 2533274819302824;13:
> > You’re entirely missing the point of the argument if your counter-argument is “LOL SEVEN YEARS AGO ISN’T MODERN”. It’s a hell of a lot more modern than the year 1990.
> > If we want to be intellectually honest, yes it is a buzzword. So are a ton of other words people on the opposite side of the fence use.
>
>
>
> You are the one that clearly missed my point if actually thought that was my counter-argument.

I get the feeling I am not the only one needing clarification here.

> 2533274873310828;15:
> > 2533274806427910;14:
> > > Please don’t make me go mining for quotes. Apparently 10% of the community does anyways.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > It is your choice rather or not you want to waste your time, not me.
>
>
>
>
> I don’t believe you can deny you just saw evidence of his statement a few hours ago though right? I don’t know the numbers, but the bigots are definitely still numerous.
>
> > 2533274806427910;14:
> > > 2533274819302824;13:
> > > You’re entirely missing the point of the argument if your counter-argument is “LOL SEVEN YEARS AGO ISN’T MODERN”. It’s a hell of a lot more modern than the year 1990.
> > > If we want to be intellectually honest, yes it is a buzzword. So are a ton of other words people on the opposite side of the fence use.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > You are the one that clearly missed my point if actually thought that was my counter-argument.
>
>
>
> I get the feeling I am not the only one needing clarification here.

First of all, I was not seriously when I said that only 10% of the community hate change. How hard is it to realize that? Second, if you want clarification, read my first statement again because he thinks that I misunderstood the argument. I thought I made it clear that mechanics should not be added into Halo just for the sake of “modernization”. It cannot be any simpler than that.

> 2533274806427910;16:
> First of all, I was not seriously when I said that only 10% of the community hate change. How hard is it to realize that?

The answer : Quite, judging from this transpiration of events

As for your other point, do you believe 343 lack artistic discrimination and do not know their direction if you claim it is being done for modernisation?

Well, I certainly can’t disagree with you. They seem to be all very valid points.

> 2533274873310828;17:
> > 2533274806427910;16:
> > First of all, I was not seriously when I said that only 10% of the community hate change. How hard is it to realize that?
>
>
> The answer : Quite, judging from this transpiration of events
>
> As for your other point, do you believe 343 lack artistic discrimination and do not know their direction if you claim it is being done for modernisation?

No, I just think people need to stop using that asinine “modernization” card.

Beautiful post. I really am sick of people saying “your afraid of change ADAPT” when truly harmful mechanics are being added/kept (sprint…)
Are the SAs truly harmful? I don’t know. It’s impossible to tell one way or the other as of now.

And with that, I’ll say comments stating that Halo 5 “LOOKS AWSOM” and will be “great, much better than Halo 4!!!” are in the same boat as comments saying “DIS GAME R SUX”. It’s all speculation right now.