Something has to be done about the DMR.

Hello. Before I begin this rant, let me start by saying Halo 4 is a fantastic game, and I thank 343 greatly for the effort they put into it.

On another note, the DMR is horrifically overpowered. The incomprehensible amount of bullet magnetism it has combined with zero spread or bloom makes it the most simple and easy to use gun in the game with effortless long to short range rapid firing from the hip that can turn a mediocre to average player into a decent one, purely from this crutch of a weapon. Not to say that if you use the DMR you’re automatically bad, but in reality there’s nothing bad about the DMR at all, every other weapon has a weakness, the DMR has no drawback whatsoever.

I however, propose several solutions to this dilemma;

1. Give it Halo: Reach style bloom. While many would argue that this is one of the things that ruined Reach, this would force you to pace your shots and play more conservatively, making it nigh impossible to use this weapon in close quarters combat. This would in turn balance out every other starting precision weapon.

2. Keep it the same, but make it an ordinance drop. This is a more extreme solution that I’m not even entirely sure is possible, due to pre-existing commendations. This would extremely limit how often you see the DMR, and would make you work in order to obtain one. This, I feel would return a lot of balance to the game.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to put on my flame suit.

I agree with you, but if I may, there is a simple 3rd fix to the dmr issue. And that is a ROF cap/nerf. With a ROF nerf the DMR still retains its punch but looses its shot at mid/close range losing to faster shooting weapons (BR/Carbine/AR ect.)

> I agree with you, but if I may, there is a simple 3rd fix to the dmr issue. And that is a ROF cap/nerf. With a ROF nerf the DMR still retains its punch but looses its shot at mid/close range losing to faster shooting weapons (BR/Carbine/AR ect.)

I completely agree with the 3rd fix. This is what needs to happen. Nothing else. The ROF on the DMR is ridiculously fast, and because of it, it destroys its actual purpose, which is being good at only long range, and somewhat good at mid range.

All the weapons in this game are a joke, especially the precision ones. I didn’t know we were re-learning how to do precision combat and weapon network modeling in 2012.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1986689_Poll-Halo-4-Bullet-Magnetism-Needs-Toned-Down.aspx?find=lastpost#post1986689

i agree with op

while i do agree the dmr is a little overpowered, your solutions were terrible.

Another solution, buff the rof on the br? Strengthen the shots of each carbine bullet slightly?

> while i do agree the dmr is a little overpowered, your solutions were terrible.

Someone give this guy a cookie.

> while i do agree the dmr is a little overpowered, your solutions were terrible.

It would more productive if you would provide some insight to fix the proposed problem… ((((Shrugs))))

I think slowing down the rate of fire for the gun would be the best solution.

No, the DMR is fine the way it is. Everyone above SR-2 can select the weapon as part of their loadout. Everyone can be on an even playing field.

Unless you wish to cling on to the precious Battle Rifle as much as possible. Seriously, just cut the cord.

> But in reality there’s nothing bad about the DMR at all, every other weapon has a weakness, the DMR has no drawback whatsoever.

Maybe, I’m missing something but the DMR is bad at close quarters. Anyone wielding an Assault Rifle, Suppressor, Boltshot or even a Needler can kill a DMR wielding opponent quicker at close range.

Yes, that’s right. Even the Needler.

> No, the DMR is fine the way it is. Everyone above SR-2 can select the weapon as part of their loadout. Everyone can be on an even playing field.
>
> Unless you wish to cling on to the precious Battle Rifle as much as possible. Seriously, just cut the cord.

Why have 4 precision rifles if one is so good that it renders the other ones useless? I want to be able to play around with the Light rifle and the BR without getting my face pounded in just cause the DMR range and ROF is so good.

Edit: Besides the gameflow would be so much better if the DMR was nerfed. Right now cross map stalemates are way to frequent and it makes the game annoying.

Give it significantly more bloom when its not scoped in and nerf the fire rate a little and boom you’ve got much better war games.

> > But in reality there’s nothing bad about the DMR at all, every other weapon has a weakness, the DMR has no drawback whatsoever.
>
> Maybe, I’m missing something but the DMR is bad at close quarters. Anyone wielding an Assault Rifle, Suppressor, Boltshot or even a Needler can kill a DMR wielding opponent quicker at close range.
>
> Yes, that’s right. Even the Needler.

Maybe they can kill you, but I win all the time against those weapons in CQC. Anyone who defends the DMR is just blind. Every single person who has any common sense has said it’s overpowered and needs removed. Hell MLG removed it completely because it made game play slow and boring because of cross mapping.

editing post…

I live how people try to defend the DMR by saying ‘just buff the BR’, because there isn’t 5 other load out weapons either… You’d think there’s only two, the way people talk.

I totally agree with the part making the DMR an ordnance drop. Or just simply lay some DMRs scattered around the map, I’m sure that’ll promote a lot of strategy.

Having it as a start option leaves you no choice but to start with the DMR. Compared to the DMR, every other rifle is rather weak, and winning battles against that monster is quite rare.

But yeah, recap; place that weapon around the map, I think that would fix a lot of the annoying problems due to the DMR. And don’t have it as a Loadout, simply get rid of the DMR option in loadouts and have the BR, Carbine, Light Rifle, etc left as options. That would balance the game big time to the max IMO.

Put stability on your load out and the DMR becomes even better.

> I think slowing down the rate of fire for the gun would be the best solution.

That would not really fix the constant cross-mapping in BTB though :/. I’m sticking with my solution to making it a drop weapon scattered around the map. That’ll bring balance to the game, and cross-mapping in BTB and in every other playlist would be reduced drastically.