Some Thoughts so Far

Big Team Battle is a lot of fun for my buddies and me, but it’s bothersome that we don’t start in each other’s team.

The games are enjoyable, but they are frequently chaotic because it is difficult for us to locate one another in a sea of a dozen blue-HUD gamertags versus the handful Green ones in your “squad.”
My friends and I are in the same lobby, therefore it’s strange that it doesn’t prioritise our presence.

Also, similar to Invasion, it’d be good if the spawn system allowed you to spawn near or on your team to make our strategies easier to organise. Because there was so much mayhem and disarray, one CTF game essentially degenerated into a slayer match.

On the issues of progression and challenges.

Medal-based games have the same problem of people grinding instead than playing.
Grifball was a concern for MCC. XP should give its highest honours to those that win games rapidly.

As a result, players are more likely to play to the objective rather than merely seeking to earn splatters in CTF games. I mean, there’s nothing worse than being down in CTF only to have the plainly superior team go into turtle mode in order to farm kills.

It’s a difficult issue to strike a balance.

However, in my opinion, the best way to acquire XP is to simply win.
Winning soon would provide a nice boost in terms of discouraging turtling or putting an end to farming. Medals and regular XP for playing the game would be below that.

The specific formula would need to be fine-tuned, but it should ideally fall somewhere where rapid wins don’t trump extended games to the point that long games become uninteresting, but medal farming never does.

On the other hand, I despise the idea that a long game in which both teams score twice and there is a lot of back-and-forth should result in less XP than a rapid win that was more due to poor matching than anything else.

These are just some random thoughts I’ve had since playing the game from Monday. Having a blast and love the look and feel of the game (plus the grapple shot rules)!

Agreed. You should be in each other’s squads when you play big team and you’re in the same party.

Sounds like the best way to handle XP then is to do this:

• Points for playing (always reward your players for playing your game, that’s game design 101)
  • Points for winning (always incentivise your players to play well, that’s game design 101)
  • Points for winning quickly (always incentivise your players to play well, that’s game design 101)
  • Points based on your individual player score at the end of the game, which would increase over time in a back-and-forth regardless of medals earned (always incentivise your players to play well, that’s game design 101)

Let’s say like 1-5% of points earned (usually in the 1000s range, so on the high end that would be like 300 points for 6k score), a base score of 20XP, a starting bonus of 100xp that decreases over time, and a bonus 20 points for winning.

Just rough numbers but should work I think

1 Like

See that sounds fair, but we will have to see what the devs do in the meantime, I’m guessing we will have to wait until the 8th to see what happens or when Season 2 rolls around. :sweat_smile:

It would make more sense if you’re in a XBL party or start the game together from the lobby that you would like to be on the same team, but it’s probably an easy fix that will get sorted later on down the line.

If XP doesn’t change by season 2 this game will be dead. As someone said, you only get one chance to make a first impression. By calling this a beta and releasing on the 8th, 343i is in the unique position that anything that fix by the 8th will probably get 343i their praises sung.

Anything after…? oof