some things that need to be considered in H4 MP

So after the first day of 343 showing game play, I thought I would make a post that is crucially needed in Halo games.

1. Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?

2. A crisp responsive strafe. This is a very big thing in Halo, as of now the Reach/H3 strafes are very unresponsive. The time it takes to move to the other side to do a strafe takes way to long and kills the individual skill gap. Here is the strafe in other halos, CE having the best strafe out of any other halo games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAPmV7GcrU

1. A precise accurate weapon. The problem with the BR in other Halo’s was that the BR had spread, which made it so no matter what you did your shots wouldn’t be precise. Also IMO the reticule really should not be that huge, it makes it so the shooting feels more spraying, the gun should be skillful.

2. Low aim assist. Especially for guns such as the BR, DMR, Sniper, etc.

This makes it so the shooting skill gap is increased and it makes it so the casuals will have an easier time using weapons such as AR

1. Good, balanced maps. I’m not saying use only symmetrical, look at CE those maps were great yet they were mostly asymmetric. What I’m saying to do is have original designs, but also make them balanced.

Maps from H3/Reach were generally imbalanced or not competitive

1. A good ranking system. A problem in Reach is that we have no ranking system besides arena, which only affects one playlist. If we have a good ranking system (HALO 2), then bad players would verse bad players and good players would verse good players.

It also makes you strive for something, and H2 did the best at that by making most matches competitive and balanced.

> 1) Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?

I actually like what 343 is doing with the dynamic spawns. It adds dimension to the game and you can’t just camp the power weapons. As for everything else I trust 343i to do a good job, game looks solid so far.

> > 1) Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?
>
> I actually like what 343 is doing with the dynamic spawns. It adds dimension to the game and you can’t just camp the power weapons. As for everything else I trust 343i to do a good job, game looks solid so far.

First of all 343 has not confirmed this stupid rumor to be true. Random timers on weapons would be -Yoinking!- stupid and I doubt 343 would implement something as stupid as that. Secondly, power weapons are never “camped” for if your playing the game right. Power weapons are timed and around the time of their spawn you set-up for them which adds strategy and encourages player movement. If people are such noobs they cant understand the concepts of PW’s/map control make a tutorial, but for the love of god dont randomize a core element of Halo gameplay.

Couldn’t have said it better, good post.

Why didn’t you mention Sprint? That is what is making me sulk right now.

Sprint’s fine it is a new addition to movement adding skill to the game.

> Why didn’t you mention Sprint? That is what is making me sulk right now.

Because we all know its in now, its not like we can change it or anything. An option would be good and playlists without it.

> Because we all know its in now, its not like we can change it or anything. An option would be good and playlists without it.

True, but I don’t want to be confined to one playlist again like I was for Reach. I miss Double Team man.

> Why didn’t you mention Sprint? That is what is making me sulk right now.

I was happy watching the “Making Halo 4 Trailer” video into I saw a player having Sprint. :"(

For the weapons spawning time i think that would make the game interesting but they should have it for a select few playlists or gametypes. The spawn times shouldn’t be completely random but should be based on some factors which 343 deems important like when a player grabs it, when they run out of ammo,etc. Dynamic spawns = more of a challenge when it comes to power weapons

> So after the first day of 343 showing game play, I thought I would make a post that is crucially needed in Halo games.
>
> 1) Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?
>
> 2) A crisp responsive strafe. This is a very big thing in Halo, as of now the Reach/H3 strafes are very unresponsive. The time it takes to move to the other side to do a strafe takes way to long and kills the individual skill gap. Here is the strafe in other halos, CE having the best strafe out of any other halo games.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAPmV7GcrU
>
> 3) A precise accurate weapon. The problem with the BR in other Halo’s was that the BR had spread, which made it so no matter what you did your shots wouldn’t be precise. Also IMO the reticule really should not be that huge, it makes it so the shooting feels more spraying, the gun should be skillful.
>
> 4) Low aim assist. Especially for guns such as the BR, DMR, Sniper, etc.
>
> This makes it so the shooting skill gap is increased and it makes it so the casuals will have an easier time using weapons such as AR
>
> 5) Good, balanced maps. I’m not saying use only symmetrical, look at CE those maps were great yet they were mostly asymmetric. What I’m saying to do is have original designs, but also make them balanced.
>
> Maps from H3/Reach were generally imbalanced or not competitive
>
> 6) A good ranking system. A problem in Reach is that we have no ranking system besides arena, which only affects one playlist. If we have a good ranking system (HALO 2), then bad players would verse bad players and good players would verse good players.
>
> It also makes you strive for something, and H2 did the best at that by making most matches competitive and balanced.

Most logical post ive seen today, thank you for hope in the community

When will David Kong find something better to do than troll us.

Random weapon spawns would do nothing but promote camping. “i dont know when the rocket launcher spawns so im just going to sit here until it does.”

> > Why didn’t you mention Sprint? That is what is making me sulk right now.
>
> Because we all know its in now, its not like we can change it or anything. An option would be good and playlists without it.

There better be tons of options to play this game including classic playlists without sprint(Not just one either), because if 343 thinks the veteran Halo community is going to play ANYTHING other than what they see as Halo with the core fundamentals they have been playing with for 10 years they are sorely mistaken.

> > 1) Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?
>
> I actually like what 343 is doing with the dynamic spawns. It adds dimension to the game and you can’t just camp the power weapons. As for everything else I trust 343i to do a good job, game looks solid so far.

WHAT???

If 343 has to resort to randomness to create a dynamic style, they are -Yoinking!- terrible excuses for game developers.

Secondly, dynamic makes it MORE easy to camp powr weapons as only 1 team knows when they come up.

If you would actualy take the time you took in posting to learn the times, you would have this advantage too. You would learn to fight for them, and an interesting fight for rockets/sniper/shotgun would occur all the time and not just at the start of the game.

> > > 1) Static weapon timers, this has been an issue since H2 and is still going on in Reach. Whats wrong with not having this is that if one player were to have Rockets, they would not spawn unless he ran out of ammo AND dropped the weapon. If static weapon timers were in the game, every player would be on even playing field. Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?
> >
> > I actually like what 343 is doing with the dynamic spawns. It adds dimension to the game and you can’t just camp the power weapons. As for everything else I trust 343i to do a good job, game looks solid so far.
>
> WHAT???
>
> If 343 has to resort to randomness to create a dynamic style, they are -Yoinking!- terrible excuses for game developers.
>
> Secondly, dynamic makes it MORE easy to camp powr weapons as only 1 team knows when they come up.
>
> If you would actualy take the time you took in posting to learn the times, you would have this advantage too. You would learn to fight for them, and an interesting fight for rockets/sniper/shotgun would occur all the time and not just at the start of the game.

Exactly, no reason to have random weapon timers where only one player knows the spawn.

I agree with a majority of your posts, but I’ll break down my response.

1. The weapon timer one thing I have to disagree with. The MLG drop spawning system for power weapons needs to be input into the game code. Focusing mainly on team games, having the power weapons drop at constant intervals allows teams to contest a power weapon and gives incentive for map movement. Without this, a team can tie up one of the power weapons, especially if it is the only weapon, and prevent the other team from fairly contesting it.

2. Agree with a crisp strafe. There should be no strafe acceleration and movement speed should be back to the main Halo series. Faster but responsive is the key!

3. The utility weapon should be precise, as agreed. From seeing the BR, as long as it has a bit more range than the Halo 3 BR, is hitscan and maintains a 4-shot kill, I’m set!

4. As it says. Low aim assist.

5. The maps will definitely mean a lot, but not all Halo 3/Reach maps were bad. Halo 3 had the Pit and Narrows, while Construct and Guardian were decent for FFA. Reach only had Countdown and Zealot. I hope that Forge, however, doesn’t get scrapped. Give the community a chance to shine!

6. Definitely agree on ranked playlists. Bring it back to Halo 2/3 style with ranked playlists, a general 1-50, and individual ranking for playlists!

Other than that, you have a great post!

> There better be tons of options to play this game including classic playlists without sprint(Not just one either), because if 343 thinks the veteran Halo community is going to play ANYTHING other than what they see as Halo with the core fundamentals they have been playing with for 10 years they are sorely mistaken.

^

The thing I really want though is that the game doesn’t need so much options to make the game good.

Look at H2/CE, those games took little to no differences to normal MM/settings to competitive settings such as MLG. I hate having to make so much differences just to make the game good, the game should be great for all sides right out of the box (ex. CE/H2)

Static power weapon timers honestly make it easier for the lesser talented to get power weapons.

In default Reach, if I grab Rockets on Powerhouse, I control when they spawn next (assuming I don’t die). This allows better players to essentially have a monopoly on power weapons as they can use the ammo and drop the unloaded gun at their own discretion, ensuring they get the next set of Rockets as well (keep in mind there’s still a timer; if I use all the rockets within 30 seconds they still won’t spawn for another 2:30).

With static power weapon spawn times, every smart player knows exactly when the power weapons are going to spawn. This means the player who got Rockets/Snipe/whatever at the beginning of the game doesn’t control when they spawn next, which gives a better fighting chance to the lesser talented to actually get the power weapons.

> Also if it seems like a problem for new players getting dominated by higher skilled players by knowing the times, why not do a tutorial where you tell them the spawns?

This is actually a great idea. It isn’t a gameplay-affecting crutch for bad players but still offers a little help. Something similar to the 15 second MLG-style map previews would suffice.