Some legendary tips. (Spoilers I guess)

Hey guys, I’m sure this is bound to get lost in the thousands of ground breaking, thought provoking, intellectual gem threads about why halo 4 sucks and why they should nerf whatever gun/AA you got killed with…

But… I just finished the campaign on legendary solo and figured I’d contribute some help for others who are stuck or wondering how to go about legendary solo.

I know all you Halo vets already know this stuff but if this helps one or two casual players past their “stuck” point then It was worth writing up

Legendary Tips

-Don’t run into hordes guns blazing…

• Mid range weapons are you’re best friend. They thin the little guys out fast (With headshots) and from a much safer distance. BR,DMR, Light Rifle, Carbine… Try to have one of these on you at all times.

-After every kill you’re eyes should be not on your target, but immediately scanning the area to see weather or not you want to reposition or proceed. So for example as soon as I pop a grunt or a crawler i’m watching the rest of the horde to try to get a read on weather they’re going to rush me, shoot, or fall back

-As you move through the missions always take note of where you can take cover if things go bad, where your escape route is, and how far away you are from it. So when you’re coming around a corner or something and you’re met by a horde, you know as soon as your sheilds go down, where to retreat. Distance yourself from this spot wisely, far enough to do battle, but close enough so that if you’re sheilds are drained you can make it there alive.

-Plan your cover based on what enemies your fighting and what weapons they’re using.

• When dealing with prometheans go for the watchers first, if you have a horde of crawlers in threatening distance though, pop them in the face and focus back on the watchers. If you see a Knight, Unless you have something that really goes BOOM, Isolate him from any other nights in the area. This is easier than it sounds. They typically spawn fairly spaced from each other. Get a read on what weapon he’s using (Scattershot, Light Rifle, Binary rifle, Incinerary Cannon) so you know at what range he’s most dangerous. If he does his super ninja teleport stab charge thing (He’ll motion when he’s about to) move backwards and pop him in the face some more. Steady shots to the face or 3 well maneuvered scattershot blasts will bring him down usually.

-Grenades are a good way to deter enemies from rushing you, If your shields go down and you throw a nade, It won’t necessarily hit, but that time they spend jumping out of the way is time that isn’t spent shooting you

-Auto Sentry… If it’s there grab it… It’s extremely useful for killing the smaller enemies but also provides a significant distraction for you to plan your next move. It will make your legendary playthrough a lot less frustrating. (3 Crawlers left and the only ammo you have left is in your binary rifle? AUTO SENTRY TO THE RESCUE!)

• You don’t have to kill everything all the time, many areas can be run through after merely thinning the ranks out a bit.

-Play with confidence, but not arrogance.

H4 Legendary’s difficulty curve was kinda weird in my opinion. Missions 2-5 were pretty tough at certain spots. But then 6,7,8, were alot easier I thought. Plenty of ammo, plenty of cover, plenty of power weapons… Or maybe I just got used to it I don’t know…

Alrighty well thats all I’m gonna post for now, If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I’ll do my best to help you.

thanks for the tips, im just starting my legendary solo playthrough today. This guide I found really helps too.
its a speedrun showing alot of shortcuts, some even skipping half of the mission.

Where do the Promethean guns fit in? Are they good against shields or health, or are they just inbetween covies and human weapons?

Do Knights have shields, so does plasma pistolling help?

What weapons are most effective against prometheans, - humans, covie or forerunner?

These tips are what helped me the most

1: Take your time. Dont rush through areas. If you have a precision weapon take out as many enemies you can before you move up to clear the rest. It will make things much easier.

2: Save your power weapons. Power weapons are extremely useful in difficult situations so make sure you save your ammo for when you truly need it. Sure you can rocket that solo elite to the face or you can save the ammo and just noob combo him. This really comes into play on the last level when you can face up to 5 or 6 knights at the same time. The more you can take down without using your rockets/incineration cannon means you have more ammo to use on the tougher ones that use snipers, shotty, or inceneration cannons.

> Where do the Promethean guns fit in? Are they good against shields or health, or are they just inbetween covies and human weapons?
>
> Do Knights have shields, so does plasma pistolling help?
>
> What weapons are most effective against prometheans, - humans, covie or forerunner?

1:Pretty much all the promethean weapons are good other than the boltshot. The light rifle is a good precision weapon thats good at dropping shields and getting headshots with. The shotty takes about 2 to 3 shots to kill a knight which is pretty good and the suppressor takes about a clip and a half to kill a knight at close range.

2: Yes knights have shields and they regenerate really fast if you dont keep hitting them. I believe the plasma pistol can drop their shield.

3: Use precision weapons to kill the watchers and crawlers. Only takes one shot to the mouth to kill crawlers. Then try to get the knight by itself if there are other knights around and get up close to use a suppressor or shotty on it. I like to use a full suppressor clip then melee for the kill. Be careful if you get too close though because their melee is a one hit kill.

bump for good tips!

Nice :slight_smile:

When I beat the campaign on normal (my husband refused to play legendary on co-op, so we had to do normal…what a loser), I loved every minute of it. It was amazing.

However, since I’ve began the legendary campaign (solo, of course), I’ve began to hate the campaign. There are some situations that seem downright impossible. Here’s an example: on the mission Forerunner…err…whatever mission is the one where you have to deactivate the beams to clear up the radio signal from the Infinity, it took me over a full day to finally figure our the proper way to take the situation on.

After I FINALLY cleared that mission, I saved and quit. I was so stressed over how long it took me–considering no other level in any Halo game has ever given me that much trouble–that I decided to take a break from the campaign for a while.

What sucks is…well, I just don’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything since I haven’t beaten the campaign yet. Usually whenever I pick up a new game, Halo games especially, I always beat the main portion of the game, then I go back for the multiplayer aspect.

> When I beat the campaign on normal (my husband refused to play legendary on co-op, so we had to do normal…what a loser), I loved every minute of it. It was amazing.
>
> However, since I’ve began the legendary campaign (solo, of course), I’ve began to hate the campaign. There are some situations that seem downright impossible. Here’s an example: on the mission Forerunner…err…whatever mission is the one where you have to deactivate the beams to clear up the radio signal from the Infinity, it took me over a full day to finally figure our the proper way to take the situation on.
>
> After I FINALLY cleared that mission, I saved and quit. I was so stressed over how long it took me–considering no other level in any Halo game has ever given me that much trouble–that I decided to take a break from the campaign for a while.
>
> What sucks is…well, I just don’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything since I haven’t beaten the campaign yet. Usually whenever I pick up a new game, Halo games especially, I always beat the main portion of the game, then I go back for the multiplayer aspect.

LMAO start of that very funny. I’m sure he’ll do it on legendery at some stage