Solve your LAG problem

Do you have “open NAT”?

Till march I hardly ever had LAG on Halo 4 but I moved to another house with 1MB cinternet connection and it was horrible (I’m from Spain so I face people from the other side of the world all day long). Last week I checked my NAT status and I opened the XboxLive ports and now I can play like I have a 100MB connection, without any lag. It runs perfect game after game (unless somebody looks Game of Thr***s on streaming but that’s not 343’s fault :wink:

To open your NAT you just have to search on internet “Open NAT ports” and type down your router model. Follow the instructions.
To know which ports you have to open serach for “xbox live nat ports”

I hope I can help.
I think >80% of people with LAG may be caused by not having an OPEN NAT

So the problem isnt facing players from The other side of the world?

Ok.

> So the problem isnt facing players from The other side of the world?
>
> Ok.

Yeah the matchmaking system is perfect and if you lag even slightly it has just absolutely got to be your fault. It’s not like the removal of search filters made it impossible to search for good or local connection, and therefore playing without lag for a lot of people.

I don’t have any lag issues.

> So the problem isnt facing players from The other side of the world?
>
> Ok.

This make me laugh. I’m from SPAIN man, and I’m facing americans ALL DAY LONG and I don’t have lag. So don’t blame the distance because it’s probably not the main problem.

Of course it’s funny to play with people of your same country but I can secure you playing with people globally IS NOT the problem. First try to get Open NAT and if you still have problems then come to this post and tell it.
With that I’m not trying to say H4 has no connection problems. I just want people to play as good as this game allows to.

I think this is important.

You forgot to mention about clearing your system cache which helps a lot too.Which clearing it does improve latency times, and opening your NAT.

> Do you have “open NAT”?
>
> Till march I hardly ever had LAG on Halo 4 but I moved to another house with 1MB cinternet connection and it was horrible. Last week I checked my NAT status and I opened the XboxLive ports and now I can play like I have a 100MB connection, without any lag. It runs perfect game after game (unless somebody looks Game of Thr***s on streaming but that’s not 343’s fault :wink:
>
> To open your NAT you just have to search on internet “Open NAT ports” and type down your router model. Follow the instructions.
> To know which ports you have to open serach for “xbox live nat ports”
>
> I hope I can help.
> I think >80% of people with LAG may be caused by not having an OPEN NAT

It have always had an Open NAT and my ADSL connection is 8 ms ping time local server, 70 ms ping time across North America (I’m in Western Canada), 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. I use Ping test to make sure my connection is optimal - but this does nothing to solve the craptacular lag in H4.

I quit playing multiplayer H4 (after ~1400 war games) and switched back to Reach on June 2. Of the ~40 BTB games I have played since then in Reach, I have normal “H4 Type Lag” for maybe 30 seconds in TOTAL for all those games (in H4 70% of my games are lagged by 0.5 to 5 second range). Other MP games I play also don’t lag - it’s just H4. If I want to have a good lag free Halo game, I go Halo Reach. In the Reach BTB Lobby, there are usually 1,500 players and I get into a BTB Game just as fast as I do on H4 when there are 9,000 players in the BTIS Lobby - so it’s not a number of players thing - it’s not my connection - it’s not the phase of the moon - it’s H4.

> It have always had an Open NAT and my ADSL connection is 8 ms ping time local server, 70 ms ping time across North America (I’m in Western Canada), 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. I use Ping test to make sure my connection is optimal - but this does nothing to solve the craptacular lag in H4.
>
> I quit playing multiplayer H4 (after ~1400 war games) and switched back to Reach on June 2. Of the ~40 BTB games I have played since then in Reach, I have normal “H4 Type Lag” for maybe 30 seconds in TOTAL for all those games (in H4 70% of my games are lagged by 0.5 to 5 second range). Other MP games I play also don’t lag - it’s just H4. If I want to have a good lag free Halo game, I go Halo Reach. In the Reach BTB Lobby, there are usually 1,500 players and I get into a BTB Game just as fast as I do on H4 when there are 9,000 players in the BTIS Lobby - so it’s not a number of players thing - it’s not my connection - it’s not the phase of the moon - it’s H4.

Ok it might be your case, but there’s people who say they never had lag. I only had lag at my new apartment while I hadn’t open NAT. And I’m from Spain so I play with people from the other side of the world (USA). If there are people who do not have this problem, it’s probable that some of those who suffer lag is due to NAT, not to H4. And of course some other people might have lag because H4.

Same deal with me dude, I will prob play halo 4 a bit more just to get SR130 however from now on i’ll be sticking to reach, also when playing reach i find games A LOT faster actually. On a lighter not i’ll always check in on halo 4 just to see if it gets less lag by updates or something. Also I know its not my internet, I have had an open nat the whole time and halo 4 is THE ONLY game that lags for me. No joke the only one.

My NAT has never been anything but open. I won’t say I never lag on other games, because I have, but never as severely nor as freqently as I do on Halo 4.

I spent around 6 hours opening my NAT last week, and it just made it WORSE!

I’m beginning to think that the lag problem is on 343i’s side and not mine.

> I think >80% of people with LAG may be caused by not having an OPEN NAT

…or, maybe it’s because the host is 20 hours away.

> > I think >80% of people with LAG may be caused by not having an OPEN NAT
>
> …or, maybe it’s because the host is 20 hours away.

And I say it again, If you would read a bit in this post… I’m from Spain and I’m facing Amerigans all day long and I don’t have lag. Never.
Sometimes it might be a H4 problem but I hardly doubt it’s due to the distance

> > > I think >80% of people with LAG may be caused by not having an OPEN NAT
> >
> > …or, maybe it’s because the host is 20 hours away.
>
> And I say it again, If you would read a bit in this post… I’m from Spain and I’m facing Amerigans all day long and I don’t have lag. Never.
> Sometimes it might be a H4 problem but I hardly doubt it’s due to the distance

Yeah. We call that “pulling host”.

> And I say it again, If you would read a bit in this post… I’m from Spain and <mark>I’m facing Amerigans all day long and I don’t have lag. Never.</mark>
> Sometimes it might be a H4 problem but I hardly doubt it’s due to the distance

Lucky you.

And one more question. If we live in Europe, why we must to play with Americans?
It’s stupid. I’m from Hungary so my connection is not the best. Then, why I have to play with players from the other side of the world with superior connection?
It’s just stupid. Why I can’t play with others from my continent?

I feel handicapped, my games are have 3 black-screens and 0.5 sec delay regularly.

And I have Open NAT.

One last thing. If you know how to check the host (always the top in the rooster, the others are come after him/her in ABC order, you’re always the second) then you can recognize, the game try to select one of the lowest SR players to give them an edge, to not be destroyed. It’s okay, but this system is REGARDLESS to the connection. It’s causes horrible matches!

This Matchmaking system maybe works in mind, but it’s horrible in reality.

I’m not saying this matchmaking sistem is flawless nor perfect. I just say I had lag because NAT, and there might be people with that problem and that could be solved. Of course other people might have lag because the game, but if I can help some of the lagged people with this post I’ll do.

I have had Moderate connection for about 2 months now, and I almost never lag. The problem that most people face might just be how many connections are active at the same time, or what kind of Internet you use. If you have a lag problem, maybe its because your wireless module or connection cable is damaged. It might also be the router that’s the problem. Really it all narrows down to the individual situation, but I support WTfelix for trying to provide a suction to mysterious lag problems.