Solution to the Jetpack(Request to 343)

Yes people know, the Jetpack is back and in Reach, it broke maps entirely. I hated the Jetpack but I have used it in specific situations. In Nexy’s gameplay video at PAX if you’ve already seen it. He uses the Jetpack and launches himself for a Grav lift. This was the same mechanic used on Sword Base which had a Grav Lift.

So my solution is this…

Nerf the thrust completely. If you launch yourself off a Grav lift you shouldn’t even be able to hover. The Jetpack should not let you glide down slowly, we’re playing on maps simulated on the Infinity, there should still be some sort of gravity that pulls you down.

Give the Jetpack two charges. It should have enough thrust to only propel you to a ledge or perhaps to the center structure on Haven so you can jump off of it to an unsuspecting player. It should not give you the ability to fly up two or three levels but only maybe give you that extra hieght so you could maybe jump from one of the side walkways to the middle without using the Grav Lift on Haven but should not let you fly up to the top level from the bottom level. It should not have enough thrust to propel you to the Banshee spawn from the ground on Exile. It should be reduced to nothing more then a Jump Pack like the Brutes had in Halo 3 but a nerfed version of that. This will balance the maps more because of the fact that this version will only propel you up an extra two or three feet and not give you the freedom of flight.

Simply thank this OP is you agree with this change. I will however update it with solutions from other people.

I really wanted a jump pack. Star Wars Battlefront II style.

I would prefer the jetpack to be nerfed to a jump-pack similar to the brutes but not so high. But your idea works too.

> I would prefer the jetpack to be nerfed to a jump-pack similar to the brutes but not so high.

That’s what I explained in the OP.

Sadly, I don’t think it’s gonna get changed now. People who have played it said it feels heavier than in Reach, and that it doesn’t last as long, so at least that’s an improvement.

> Sadly, I don’t think it’s gonna get changed now. People who have played it said it feels heavier than in Reach, and that it doesn’t last as long, so at least that’s an improvement.

I can only hope 343 sees this.

have you been watching pax gameplays ?

it’s -Yoink- nerfed now … it’s like Reach’s with only 40% of its effectiveness

> have you been watching pax gameplays ?
>
> it’s -Yoink!- nerfed now … it’s like Reach’s with only 40% of its effectiveness

You still shouldnt be able to even hover with it, that’s what I’m getting at. Nexy hovers and then glides slowly to the ground. That shouldn’t happen if its been nerfed.

> I really wanted a jump pack. Star Wars Battlefront II style.

Agreed this is the way to go one button burst will solve some of the problems that it causes.

I’d prefer it if it stayed how it was in Reach but was limited to the Campaign, Spartan Ops and Customs. The only way to ‘fix’ the Jetpack is to design all of the maps to incorporate it and I think it’s unnecessary hassle

> I’d prefer it if it stayed how it was in Reach but was limited to the Campaign, Spartan Ops and Customs. The only way to ‘fix’ the Jetpack is to design all of the maps to incorporate it and I think it’s unnecessary hassle

It would balance it more though for the maps.

> > I’d prefer it if it stayed how it was in Reach but was limited to the Campaign, Spartan Ops and Customs. The only way to ‘fix’ the Jetpack is to design all of the maps to incorporate it and I think it’s unnecessary hassle
>
> It would balance it more though for the maps.

Yes your suggestion would but if you are going to nerf something so much to the point where it will be no longer fun to use then why have it at all?

Solution for the Jet Pack:

Build a bridge and get over it.

> > > I’d prefer it if it stayed how it was in Reach but was limited to the Campaign, Spartan Ops and Customs. The only way to ‘fix’ the Jetpack is to design all of the maps to incorporate it and I think it’s unnecessary hassle
> >
> > It would balance it more though for the maps.
>
> Yes your suggestion would but if you are going to nerf something so much to the point where it will be no longer fun to use then why have it at all?

If it was nerfed into a Brute Jump pack without the height it would have a use. I explained it in the OP.

> Solution for the Jet Pack:
>
> Build a bridge and get over it.

Right…enough with the many definitions of the term adapt it’s getting old.

> > Solution for the Jet Pack:
> >
> > Build a bridge and get over it.
>
> Right…enough with the many definitions of the term adapt it’s getting old.

I’m not saying adapt. I’m saying let it go. Just enjoy the game, that’s what they are for; FUN! If you want to play a game where the jet pack doesn’t ruin your oh so important “map flow” go back to Halo 3.

People still complaining about the Jetpack even though its been nerfed to only being capable of a single thrust with a long recharge? How predictable, the Jetpack will not be a issue in Halo 4 as it was in Reach, it was only a issue in Reach because Bungie was lazy on balancing it and other Armor Abilitys and actually designing it and its ability correctly. You can tell 343i worked pretty hard on balancing each Armor Ability this time around and making them have a backseat role to classic gameplay, so I dont think the Jetpack will be such a OP Armor Ability in Halo 4, seems likely people will be using the more useful Armor Abilitys anyway.

Jump pack has been asked for more than jetpack. Hell, even before the reach beta people said they wanted jump pack instead.

All we need is a 2-3 times height boost. not too destructive to map control, and several other factors can be added to balance it(long recharge, no gun usage when jumping, no using in mid air, etc.) There’s only s much you can do with the jetpack before it becomes useless(a useless AA might as well not be on the disc).