So why is the Halo 5 energy sword so ugly?

Ignoring the leaked gameplay I have been bothered by something we first saw awhile back in the Halo 5 Guardians Beta first look video. That is the new look of the energy sword.

The appearance of the energy sword has more or less always been consistent, it is iconic to Halo. So why has it been changed for Halo 5 with this ugly, bulbous look? Everyone I have talked to about this seems to agree this just doesn’t look good compared to the old one. What even is the purpose of this change?

I agree its look is absolutely… Ugly…

It should just stay the way it was.

I maintain that what we saw was a terrible early build created on the premise of “What we shouldn’t do with Halo 5” until proven otherwise. So no doubt that sword was placeholder.

As drastic as they changes 343i could be making, I don’t think they are going to make the energy sword as big as you character or…orange.

> 2533274862758826;3:
> I maintain that what we saw was a terrible early build created on the premise of “What we shouldn’t do with Halo 5” until proven otherwise. So no doubt that sword was placeholder.

It better be, lol.

> 2533274862758826;3:
> I maintain that what we saw was a terrible early build created on the premise of “What we shouldn’t do with Halo 5” until proven otherwise. So no doubt that sword was placeholder.

While I can’t go into detail since leaks are not allowed on this forum, as of right now I don’t think its just a placeholder :frowning:

I seriously hope that’s an early build, was replaced but I have to agree that does look bad, doesn’t at all remind me of an energy sword. For some reason the H5 sword looks too bulky.

it does look kinda wierd in first person when u hold it

This was the only problem with the gameplay for me. This sword looks overweight.

She is a little thicker around the hips.

It really looks like after being fed for so many years, the Energy Sword is finally showing a bit of weight gain…

Seriously though that thing looks hideous. Why get rid of one of the most visually identifiable weapons in modern gaming?

> 2533274795284844;10:
> She is a little thicker around the hips.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think it looks nice on the map, but it looks hideous in first person.

Maybe the sword had one to many plasma cupcakes.

The nergy sword is iconic. It stands for fear… There’s nothing frightening with this big blob! The energy sword is supposed to be sharp, atleast looking like it can kill someone… What do 343i expect you to do with this? Pet the other team to death? I don’t even…

I think the sword looks like the aftermath of a child with playdough, stretched and messy.

It looks like a more promethian inspired design.

Reach’s energy sword was the best looking, in my opinion. It looked like something that you should fear compared to Halo 4’s energy sword.

> 2533274825022855;1:
> Ignoring the leaked gameplay I have bothered by something we first saw awhile back in the Halo 5 Guardians Beta first look video. That is the new look of the energy sword.
>
> The appearance of the energy sword has more or less always been consistent, it is iconic to Halo. So why has it been changed for Halo 5 with this ugly, bulbous look? Everyone I have talked to about this seems to agree this just doesn’t look good compared to the old one. What even is the purpose of this change?

Yeah they changed the look of the energy sword!! It looks weird now.

It’s not the only thing ugly, sights are ugly too: click me to see