So why do people dislike Halo 4 so much?

I know. Halo 4 wasn’t the greatest of the series, but why is that? It’s campaign may not have been what I’ve been expecting. But why does the multiplayer get crap? It’s 343i’s first take at a game… Yeah it’s a little late to ask this now but I personally like the War Games. It’s high action combat with some pretty awesome fast action. I like the new movement system and the loadout options… And yes, the BR/PP combo off the bat is a bit unfair and OP… And YES I know the whole team coordination/weapon/map control is missing, and that sucks. In Halo 4 it isn’t about skill, its whoever has the best weapons first. SAW=win. BINARY RIFLE=win. Heck you could even get pretty far on an AR most of the time. So yeah all the classic Halo elements are basically gone, but what about new ones? The thruster pack is a great addition, and I love using it to correct a jump or evade quickly. The autosentry is a pain in the neck. The regen field has its uses. And the headlight shield has definitely saved my neck from the OP Needler. My opinion is that Halo 4 is quite well put together, and I definitely can’t wait to see where Guardians goes with the multiplayer.

BR/PP is only OP in Heavies/BTB.

Team coordination/map control is just as critical in H4 as it has ever been.

Power weapon = win is also a feature of Halo, not just of Halo 4.

Saying “In Halo 4 it isn’t about skill” makes me wonder just exactly how it is the you define the word “skill.” Because if Halo 4 was nothing more than a roll of the dice then everyone would be CSR 25. And trust me when I say that there are people who own that game, they’re just not the same people who owned H2 or H3.

“All the classic Halo elements are basically gone?” Who are you? Where do you get this stuff from? Halo 1/2/3 + Reach load outs + permanent sprint = H4. What exactly is gone in that equation?

The only thing that makes Halo 4 different from 2/3 is that it introduces complexities into game play (load outs, ordnance drops) which reward a broader skill set than simply mastering gun mechanics.

Things I liked about Halo 4:

-Forge Map Improvements. The magnets and stuff helped a lot with mapmaking.

-Return of Previous Halo weapons. And the addition of new ones.

-Gauss nerf. AR buff. Stuff I couldn’t stand in Reach.

-Improved matchmaking battles.

Things that are meh in Halo 4:

-The art style. I personally liked the styles of Reach and 3, but that’s more of a personal choice.

-Ordinance drops. I dislike them, but the ability to customize its features in custom matches negates that to meh status.

-No Promethian vehicles. They don’t really have a reason to have vehicles but it would have spiced things up a bit vehicle wise.

-Modded Forge maps. Not exactly something I saw in Reach. I personally enjoy them, but they officially shouldn’t exist.

Things I dislike in Halo 4:

-Flood. It served its purpose in matchmaking but the fact that I can’t customize the infected pisses me off. And the music sucks. I want to turn off that stupid music whenever I play Hot Pursuit.

-No UNSC air vehicle. Like come on, we could have had the Hornet or the Falcon reappear.

-Matchmaking waits. It took forever to get a full lobby together. I simply didn’t have the patience for that to get it together.

-The loadouts. I didn’t like the support powers (not including the armor abilities).

-Weapon imbalances, especially with power weapons. I get that the emphasis was changed to control over such weapons, and imbalances are apparant in about all the Halos, but a gripe nevertheless.

-Did I mention Flood?

You know, it seems to me that when a guy dislikes a game, their knee-jerk reaction to it is saying “It takes no skill.” On the other hand, when they prefer a different game in the same franchise they boast “It takes skill, unlike (other game).” Yet I don’t see how putting your reticule on a guy in Halo 4 is anymore difficult or skillful than in Halo 2.

> 2535413835297228;1:
> I know. Halo 4 wasn’t the greatest of the series, but why is that? It’s campaign may not have been what I’ve been expecting. But why does the multiplayer get crap? It’s 343i’s first take at a game… Yeah it’s a little late to ask this now but I personally like the War Games. It’s high action combat with some pretty awesome fast action. I like the new movement system and the loadout options… And yes, the BR/PP combo off the bat is a bit unfair and OP… And YES I know the whole team coordination/weapon/map control is missing, and that sucks. In Halo 4 it isn’t about skill, its whoever has the best weapons first. SAW=win. BINARY RIFLE=win. Heck you could even get pretty far on an AR most of the time. So yeah all the classic Halo elements are basically gone, but what about new ones? The thruster pack is a great addition, and I love using it to correct a jump or evade quickly. The autosentry is a pain in the neck. The regen field has its uses. And the headlight shield has definitely saved my neck from the OP Needler. My opinion is that Halo 4 is quite well put together, and I definitely can’t wait to see where Guardians goes with the multiplayer.

I really enjoyed the multiplayer too, but for me the campaign was the only downside.

why my friend didn’t like the game is because he finished the leveling up so fast. I haven’t finished leveling up in only on 53 but I love war. So maybe that’s why some people hate the game

> 2535413835297228;1:
> I know. Halo 4 wasn’t the greatest of the series, but why is that? It’s campaign may not have been what I’ve been expecting. But why does the multiplayer get crap? It’s 343i’s first take at a game… Yeah it’s a little late to ask this now but I personally like the War Games. It’s high action combat with some pretty awesome fast action. I like the new movement system and the loadout options… And yes, the BR/PP combo off the bat is a bit unfair and OP… And YES I know the whole team coordination/weapon/map control is missing, and that sucks. In Halo 4 it isn’t about skill, its whoever has the best weapons first. SAW=win. BINARY RIFLE=win. Heck you could even get pretty far on an AR most of the time. So yeah all the classic Halo elements are basically gone, but what about new ones? The thruster pack is a great addition, and I love using it to correct a jump or evade quickly. The autosentry is a pain in the neck. The regen field has its uses. And the headlight shield has definitely saved my neck from the OP Needler. My opinion is that Halo 4 is quite well put together, and I definitely can’t wait to see where Guardians goes with the multiplayer.

The campaign/story is what pretty much everyone praises, actually. Many consider it the best in the series, story-wise.

1. Lack of brutes

2. Lack of UNSC air vehicles

3. Flood are too overpowered with the thruster pack

4. campaign levels are too linear with not much exploration in those levels.

5. Knights have bullet sponges.

What are some other dislikes of Halo 4?

> 2535447568744254;8:
> 1. Lack of brutes
>
> 2. Lack of UNSC air vehicles
>
> 3. Flood are too overpowered with the thruster pack
>
> 4. campaign levels are too linear with not much exploration in those levels.
>
> 5. Knights have bullet sponges.
>
> What are some other dislikes of Halo 4?

I don’t get this. What does 343 have against the Brutes?! Spiker, Spike Grenade, Brute Shot, Chopper, and the guys themselves, ALL GONE! They were second-in-command of the Covenant, yet they show up nowhere in the campaign… but the ELITES came back as villains? It all screams “lazy” to me, and I also get the feeling that it coincides with the pushing of the Prometheans as a “Bungie’s out, I’m the captain now” mentality of 343, just like how they’re completely changing the iconic Rocket Launcher design to a generic COD-style tube in Halo 5 for no freaking reason.

> 2533274821686674;9:
> > 2535447568744254;8:
> > 1. Lack of brutes
> >
> > 2. Lack of UNSC air vehicles
> >
> > 3. Flood are too overpowered with the thruster pack
> >
> > 4. campaign levels are too linear with not much exploration in those levels.
> >
> > 5. Knights have bullet sponges.
> >
> > What are some other dislikes of Halo 4?
>
>
> I don’t get this. What does 343 have against the Brutes?! Spiker, Spike Grenade, Brute Shot, Chopper, and the guys themselves, ALL GONE! They were second-in-command of the Covenant, yet they show up nowhere in the campaign… but the ELITES came back as villains? It all screams “lazy” to me, and I also get the feeling that it coincides with the pushing of the Prometheans as a “Bungie’s out, I’m the captain now” mentality of 343, just like how they’re completely changing the iconic Rocket Launcher design to a generic COD-style tube in Halo 5 for no freaking reason.

The Covenant was destroyed.

What we face in Halo 4 is a fanatical Elite-led effort at rebuilding the Covenant, and they sure as hell wouldn’t work with the Brutes to do that. This Covenant has been explained well in the books, and what’s going on with the Brutes has also been covered.

> 2533274907934539;10:
> > 2533274821686674;9:
> > > 2535447568744254;8:
> > > 1. Lack of brutes
> > >
> > > 2. Lack of UNSC air vehicles
> > >
> > > 3. Flood are too overpowered with the thruster pack
> > >
> > > 4. campaign levels are too linear with not much exploration in those levels.
> > >
> > > 5. Knights have bullet sponges.
> > >
> > > What are some other dislikes of Halo 4?
> >
> >
> > I don’t get this. What does 343 have against the Brutes?! Spiker, Spike Grenade, Brute Shot, Chopper, and the guys themselves, ALL GONE! They were second-in-command of the Covenant, yet they show up nowhere in the campaign… but the ELITES came back as villains? It all screams “lazy” to me, and I also get the feeling that it coincides with the pushing of the Prometheans as a “Bungie’s out, I’m the captain now” mentality of 343, just like how they’re completely changing the iconic Rocket Launcher design to a generic COD-style tube in Halo 5 for no freaking reason.
>
>
> The Covenant was destroyed.
>
> What we face in Halo 4 is a fanatical Elite-led effort at rebuilding the Covenant, and they sure as hell wouldn’t work with the Brutes to do that. This Covenant has been explained well in the books, and what’s going on with the Brutes has also been covered.

Ah, thanks for explaining that.

Still, that’s another thing I don’t really care for: this sudden focus on the books when building the game’s story. I mean, it’s great for fans of the books and lore I’m sure (and I am aware of what forum I’m posting on), but for people like me and my friends who just play the games for the games’ sake, it’s fairly alienating and at times confusing.

And just because there’s a canon reason for no brutes and evil elites doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.

Cortana died! Didn’t really want to see her go.

Why are there so many of these threads? Halo 4 is good just like all the halos.

> 2533274909139271;13:
> Why are there so many of these threads? Halo 4 is good just like all the halos.

Because before people got ready for Halo 5, Halo 4 was the most popular topic since it was the latest Halo. Not only did a lot people bash Halo 4, but they also had a serious case of the false consensus effect, meaning they all loved to assume that everyone else hated Halo 4 just like they did. Consequently, the negative views of Halo 4 have been heavily exaggerated.

> 2533274873843883;2:
> BR/PP is only OP in Heavies/BTB.
>
> Team coordination/map control is just as critical in H4 as it has ever been.
>
> Power weapon = win is also a feature of Halo, not just of Halo 4.
>
> Saying “In Halo 4 it isn’t about skill” makes me wonder just exactly how it is the you define the word “skill.” Because if Halo 4 was nothing more than a roll of the dice then everyone would be CSR 25. And trust me when I say that there are people who own that game, they’re just not the same people who owned H2 or H3.
>
> “All the classic Halo elements are basically gone?” Who are you? Where do you get this stuff from? Halo 1/2/3 + Reach load outs + permanent sprint = H4. What exactly is gone in that equation?
>
> The only thing that makes Halo 4 different from 2/3 is that it introduces complexities into game play (load outs, ordnance drops) which reward a broader skill set than simply mastering gun mechanics.

No, it introduces randomness, inconsistencies that players cannot predict and cannot control. It limits counterplay. Players can be punished for making the right decision in a situation and losing anyways because the other player had X armor ability or X ordnance dropped weapon. It’s not that player’s fault he died. This is why people hate H4.

H4 was a continuation of Reach’s bad example of making randomness a core element of the game. In H3, if you shot someone with a rocket, he died 100% of the time. In H4 he might just press a button, turn on a hardlight shield and bounce it back in your face. This isn’t your fault, you deserved to kill him but Halo 4 screwed you over.

What you call “complexities” I call garbage. Gimmicky, annoying garbage. Fortunately H5 is getting rid of that.

People didn’t like Halo 4 because it gave casual online players equal footing with hardcore online players using elements that added more chances to change how a battle would go.

Old halo would have you rely on finding and controlling the maps weapons to your advantage. Then in Halo 3 it changes with everyone having a BR to start with, eliminating both the usage of other weapons generally and dominating over players who didn’t know how to use it very well. This was because they tuned the weapon to work at every range, and hardcore players were of the mindset “why should we use other guns when this one is perfect for every situation”.

Halo 4 promotes playing to the individual style of that player, giving the tools to change the game to help you play better at what you seem comfortable. It was also more social in its play style, and hardcore players didn’t appreciate ordinance drops, armor abilities, perks and sprint being able to counter their plays style from Halo 3. Halo 4 didn’t make you play with a gun you couldn’t effectively use , instead you drop in with what you set up. It gave fairness and veriety to players who needed it, while at the same time set a great pace for how to play casually and socially but still win. Hardcore players wanted to promote skill over in game mechanics.

It is in my opinion that these hardcore players need to play hard and win because they don’t know how to have fun otherwise, and they outnumber the rest of the community 3-1 so they get heard more often as well.

It it is also my opinion that Halo 4 was the best we could have imagined in terms of fairness and fun. It’s my personal favorite for the fact it makes the multiplayer fun even if your losing, because you can still call in that rocket launcher and have a few laughs.

> 2533274909139271;13:
> Why are there so many of these threads? Halo 4 is good just like all the halos.

It’s not what you really think of how good it is.

Just about everybody I played Halo with and myself didn’t like Halo 4 for various reasons. Most of us played until out ranked maxed out or we got the achievements. I played until my rank maxed out which took less than 6 months. I haven’t played in at least 2 years now. If Halo 2 had sprint capability, that would be my favorite multiplayer for the series. Other than that, have a single invisibility and/or overshield on each map would be best. I hate all of this other armor ability crap. Halo is getting just as bad as CoD and a lot of that other crap.

• No Firefight. - Campaign was too straight-forward and didn’t give us a lot of areas to really explore. - Personal Ordnance drops in most multiplayer gamemodes. - A lot of bad, plastic-looking armor. - Custom loadouts. (Cause being able to spawn with up to three Plasma Grenades is ridiculous.) - Increased range on all precision weapons.