So what's next for Cortana? *Minor Spoiler*

In the campaign it looks as though she is gone for good. She sacrificed herself to save John. Is she coming back in any way in the next couple games? Could we even have a clue to her coming back from Spartan Ops?

I kinda think that cortana left a piece of herself with either Halsey or in John’s suit and will be recreated from the piece. Any ideas?

Most likely, they wouldn’t kill off Cortana the second biggest character of Halo so early in the trilogy. Unless Dr. Halsey is able to clone a new Cortana, although won’t be the same.

She’ll probably be back.

I think its safe to say the librarian will have a significant role in the almost definite return of cortana. Remember her saying John and his enhancements, suit, plus cortana was the next step for humanity, also in the beginning, Halsey says her spartans are the next step for humanity, I think cortana will come back and have beat her rampancy. John and Cortana are the next step for the human race, she’ll be back, guaranteed. I would guess by halo 6 humanity attains the mantle and john and cortana bridge the gap between physical self and digital self like the Didact was trying to originally do with the Composer.

what exactly did the librarian do to chief i did not notice any difference before or after she did what she did anyone have any idea’s

> what exactly did the librarian do to chief i did not notice any difference before or after she did what she did anyone have any idea’s

It sounded like she evolved him a little bit making him immune to the composer? I understood it while playing but the campaign was a little confusing at times.

but it didn’t work because the composer could still use his telekinesis on him and it was his shield that protected him when everyone got disintegrated

I think she’s in the Didact’s armor now. That part at the end with her talking to chief was another fragment. But wtf, I still don’t understand how an AI took down a physical being such as the Didact. And wtf is going on when they’re talking in the space after Master Chief detonated the nuke?

It seems like Cortana was able to access hardlight projection, allowing her copies to attack the Didact physically. From there, she probably used hardlight to protect John during the nuclear detonation.

At one point in the campaign Cortana said to Chief that he could get a new “Cortana Model” AI. Wouldn’t be the same character, but close.

> I think she’s in the Didact’s armor now. That part at the end with her talking to chief was another fragment. But wtf, I still don’t understand how an AI took down a physical being such as the Didact. And wtf is going on when they’re talking in the space after Master Chief detonated the nuke?

I think she took down Didact by manipulating the hardlight bridge from within the system.

I can’t imagine her being gone forever or master chief even getting a new cortana model but she could come back in s future halo I hope she will be back soon and maybe come back in spartan ops. Like they said the arbiter might be in spartan ops so why not cortana

They wouldn’t kill off a main character like her with 2 games left. She’s as important as Chief is to the series. I’m guessing that the Librarian will play a part in bringing her back. With the whole digitizing scenario with the composer, there’s probably a way to UN-digitize things back to an organic form. Maybe since Cortana was created from a living human brain, she would be able to be UN-digitized. Just a thought, who knows how feasible it actually is. She may in fact be in the Didact’s armor. In Halo 5, maybe we’ll have to rescue her from him. Also, The Didact is most likely alive. They wouldn’t introduce a villain like him and kill him off in one game. That just doesn’t make sense.

I really REALLY hope she comes back. Some clown on youtube spoiled her death for me weeks ago, and it really put a damper on the game’s release. Why would they get rid of such a central character so early in a new trilogy? It’s depressing.

On the other hand, Gandalf died while fighting a giant glowing red monster, and he came back pretty -Yoink!-. So maybe I shouldn’t worry.

I think the story is going to get interesting for Cortana if she isn’t dead. There are a couple of things going on at the end which could have allowed her to survive. First it was copies of Cortana coming out of the hard light bridge that held down the Didact. We are not told where Cortana is at this time nor are we told if it was a copy that spoke with the chief at the end. From the moment she connects to the Didacts ship we don’t know if we are interacting with the real Cortana or a copy. They were in Earth orbit, she could have transfered to a UNSC system to hide and search for Dr. Halsey and a cure. The second possibility and I think most likely since she is much more emotional is that she used the Composer to create a physical body for herself (the composers main purpose is to turn an organic life form into an inorganic and was how the Didact orginaly created the Promethian Knights and the body he currently resides in according to what I gathered from the campaign.). That body would likely have been built on Requiem in a room much like the one where the Chief saw the Promethians first appear.

Just my 2 cents.

One last thing for all we know she could be inside the item you retrive in the last chapter of Spartan Ops…

Also regarding what the Librarian fragment did to the Chief, she started the process of his DNA returning to that of the original Humans who fought the Forerunners and Flood 75k-100k years ago. That process is going to be ongoing until the end of the Reclaimer trilogy.

Metastablity. In the process of shedding her rampant parts to bring down the Didacts shields she was coming to terms with what she is. Which is the final step through going threw Rampancy. OMG… I just thought of something. We all know that Mendicant Bias became metastable. But what happens to both Mendicant Bias and Cortana? They are broken into fragments to be transported. And the core of that AI becomes Metastable. And then they are no longer bound to one computer system any longer. Mendicant Bias chose to remain on the Ark because he could access any Forerunner system there and was able to engineer the arrival of the Chief and Cortana.

343i said they are linking all prior media and future media into the trilogy. If that is the case if you consider all of the evidence. Including the potential use of Genesongs to influence key people like Catherine Halsey. And including the Librarian who was the highest placed Lifeworker in the Forerunner Caste system who had contacts all through out Forerunner and the ancient human empire her manipulation was key to everything happening for a reason.

If they made/showed Cortana as metastable at the end of Halo 4 what would they have left to show? Granted I am not a fan of how it ended, but as a soon to be published writer I understand the use of cliffhangers even when it will piss off the majority of your fan base.

I’ve been thinking that Halo 5 will end with the return of Cortana, probably after John gets another identical Cortana that he hates. I’m guessing that the Librarian made a copy of her for recreation, just like she did for humans before.

The only reasonable way for me to accept the return of Cortana would be as a metastable version. I don’t want another AI Cortana. I want the Cortana that can exist in both a computer system and a real body. The closest comparison would be EDI from Mass Effect.

The lore of the universe is there to support her return as something more than she was.

I hope she’s gone, the whole storyline of Halo 4 will be pointless if she hasn’t been sacrificed.

How so? She has experienced her mortality. Including the chief. He could ask himself the same questions.

“If Cortana can be more than just an AI, am I more than just a weapon?”

If she died the question was “She asked me to find out who was more of a machine”

The same questions can be asked. The same result can be achieved. Nothing in the lore supports that Metastablity is instant transcendence though once an AI attains it, it is pretty potent.

Personally I want to see a metastable Cortana like Mendicant Bias.