SO! What is the FOV??

You know is it 90° or whatever like Halo 1 and Reach, or is it the other way like 2 and 3. So far it looks like I don’t wanna die while I’m watching it, which makes me think it’s like 2 or 3. We should know this 100% by now, right? I mean, somebody knows, right? RIGHT?

I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!

> I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!

Haha, no. The human has a FOV is around 170 degrees. Most consol games have a rediculously narrow FOV because it means the game dosent have to render as much at once, meaning the devs can try and make the game look better. Hopfully when the next xbox launches we will be seeing better FOV’s.

> > I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!
>
> Haha, no. The human has a FOV is around 170 degrees. Most consol games have a rediculously narrow FOV because it means the game dosent have to render as much at once, meaning the devs can try and make the game look better. Hopfully when the next xbox launches we will be seeing better FOV’s.

Also, distance to the screen and screen size are definitely factors. I tend to notice PC Gamers don’t like low FOVs.

> > I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!
>
> Haha, no. The human has a FOV is around 170 degrees. Most consol games have a rediculously narrow FOV because it means the game dosent have to render as much at once, meaning the devs can try and make the game look better. Hopfully when the next xbox launches we will be seeing better FOV’s.

Yeah, but the human FOV is wider than a 16:9 aspect ratio. A 170-deg FOV on a 16:9 screen would probably be pretty distorted relative to the same FOV in human perception.

> > > I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!
> >
> > Haha, no. The human has a FOV is around 170 degrees. Most consol games have a rediculously narrow FOV because it means the game dosent have to render as much at once, meaning the devs can try and make the game look better. Hopfully when the next xbox launches we will be seeing better FOV’s.
>
> Also, distance to the screen and screen size are definitely factors. I tend to notice PC Gamers don’t like low FOVs.

Indeed.

I think a very high FOV at a high distance would almost feel like looking at the game world through a highly-refractive plate, like all the light is bending. I think that the game has to use a FOV that makes its perspective lines match those in the surrounding real space. And I wish I could come up with a less… clunky… way of saying all that.

> > > > I think you mean FOV (field of view) and i think the normal for most games is like 65 or close to, 90 is FAR to wide, you arms will appear to be meters long!
> > >
> > > Haha, no. The human has a FOV is around 170 degrees. Most consol games have a rediculously narrow FOV because it means the game dosent have to render as much at once, meaning the devs can try and make the game look better. Hopfully when the next xbox launches we will be seeing better FOV’s.
> >
> > Also, distance to the screen and screen size are definitely factors. I tend to notice PC Gamers don’t like low FOVs.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I think a very high FOV at a high distance would almost feel like looking at the game world through a highly-refractive plate, like all the light is bending. I think that the game has to use a FOV that makes its perspective lines match those in the surrounding real space. And I wish I could come up with a less… clunky… way of saying all that.

You mean it would be like looking through a fish eye lense? And yes all thos things are factors but theres no escaping that console fps games have all started to use extreamly narrow FOV’s, we know why they are doing it and it’s an acceptable reason, but when the xbox gets a hardware update it would be nice to have some more peripheral vision.

>

I honestly can’t vision having FOV larger than what we have now unless we have those special monitors or three monitors hooked up.

Right, FOV. SO, what I like about H2 and H3 is that the FOV feels “round”, that is, shapes don’t DISTORT when they get to the edge of the screen. I hate that. It ruins the sense of geometry I get. Something about H2 and H3 feel “perfect” to me, liek I’m looking at a geometry textbook, whereas the distortion in Reach drove me crazy.

Nobody’s answering my Q though. We’ve all seen it. The answer is out there. WHAT IS THE FOV?

Most comfortable/immersive: CE
Most reasonable: Reach, Anniversary
Most suitable for survival gameplay: H2, H3

Personally, I want CE’s Field of View. And what would be better is FoV adjust in the settings so people can customize their own experience. A static FoV is going to make it the same experience every time. But changing the FoV can drastically change gameplay (I have a harder time getting sticks in Anniversary but I can notice things better).

Don’t CE and Reach have the same FOV?

> Don’t CE and Reach have the same FOV?

In Reach, the AI seem to shoot from longer ranges but that’s just because of the FoV. In CE, the AI shoot from moderate range, unless they’re Hunters or operating vehicles.

> Right, FOV. SO, what I like about H2 and H3 is that the FOV feels “round”, that is, shapes don’t DISTORT when they get to the edge of the screen. I hate that. It ruins the sense of geometry I get. <mark>Something about H2 and H3 feel “perfect” to me, liek I’m looking at a geometry textbook, whereas the distortion in Reach drove me crazy.</mark>
>
> Nobody’s answering my Q though. We’ve all seen it. The answer is out there. WHAT IS THE FOV?

I don’t notice it because I’m too busy playing the game to be looking at the side of my screen.

> I think a very high FOV at a high distance would almost feel like looking at the game world through a highly-refractive plate, like all the light is bending. I think that the game has to use a FOV that makes its perspective lines match those in the surrounding real space. And I wish I could come up with a less… clunky… way of saying all that.

I have to agree with you Cobb, but my concern is the possibilities for error in this regard and further what technologies available can be used to potentially fix issues which may arise as a result of poor planning in this regard. Afterall, this is a key element in the building of an experience, in my opinion.

> > Right, FOV. SO, what I like about H2 and H3 is that the FOV feels “round”, that is, shapes don’t DISTORT when they get to the edge of the screen. I hate that. It ruins the sense of geometry I get. <mark>Something about H2 and H3 feel “perfect” to me, liek I’m looking at a geometry textbook, whereas the distortion in Reach drove me crazy.</mark>
> >
> > Nobody’s answering my Q though. We’ve all seen it. The answer is out there. WHAT IS THE FOV?
>
> I don’t notice it because I’m too busy playing the game to be looking at the side of my screen.

Wh- Ehh… So, when you’re um, playing the game, how much of the screen DO you look at? That is, how much to your side of your screen do I need to stand for you to overlook me? Or are you too busy charging with your AR?

Seriously though, there’s a KINETIC sense to my surroundings in Halo. It’s very difficult to maintain that when the stuff to my sides is distorting and doesn’t hold its shape. it makes a difference to me, and my “footing.”