So what is so bad about micro-transactions?

I do not have a problem with micro-transactions but from what I have seen in many other posts people have issues with this, but I do not understand why people are so dead set against them. As long as they are not P2W DLC then I do not see the problem.

What I mean by non Play2Win DLC is e.g. Weapon skins, armor skins, and stances. Maybe even visor colors, and emblems.

> I do not have a problem with micro-transactions but from what I have seen in many other posts people have issues with this, but I do not understand why people are so dead set against them. As long as they are not P2W DLC then I do not see the problem.
>
> What I mean by non Play2Win DLC is e.g. Weapon skins, armor skins, and stances. Maybe even visor colors, and emblems.

People have this paranoia that if we accept them in ANY form, it will lead to P2W, which isnt really true…

I have no problem with non play-to-win microtransactions either.

If you don’t want to pay for extras like skins, then don’t pay - it’s as simple as that!

As long as the main game itself offers plenty of unlockables anyway then I don’t have a problem.

People like to use the argument that if it’s on the disc then they paid for it and should have it with the game, but I’ve never bought that argument. If you buy the game you’re agreeing to buy what the developer wants to sell you. Just because there’s some extra disc-locked content on the disc the game came on, it doesn’t mean you’re entitled to it.

People can’t argue against the Champions bundle like this though anyway since it was all new (not on the disc).

The main problem that most people have with Microtransactions is the fear that it could eventually lead to Pay2Win, which is a truly terrifying thought.

While I’m all for Cosmetic Microtransactions, the “Resistor” Perk ignited a few drops of horror into my blood. Hopefully Resistor will be the closest thing we will get to Pay2Win, and hopefully stuff like Resistor won’t happen again.

As long as it’s just cosmetics I don’t care. P2W is a dumb model.

It’s just pay to win micro transactions where difficulties arise most people don’t care about cosmetic stuff. I use to play Star Wars the Old Republic and World of Warcraft and they made heaps off selling companion pets, mounts and stuff like that.

As long as its not P2W I don’t care if Halo adopts them.

Also because just look at gears of war 3, they locked maps, skins, characters, and custom options away at launch just to sell them right away. It’s one thing to make it after the game and sell it at a reasonable price, and then it’s another to sell half the game again right after we bought it from the disk its self, and not even at a reasonable price either.

Nothing, people just think they need it all and dont realize its optional. hope we get the preorder skins this way.

Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.

It’s simple; If I paid 60 bucks for the game, I deserve to get my money’s worth.

Having micro-transaction On-Disk clearly means they devoted development resources into making things that while present, were kept separate from the game for purely the intent to separate the consumer from more of his money.

Anything made during the development cycle should come with the game, at no additional cost. Anything that comes after, you can charge for.

Unfortunately, that’s just gamer morality talking, and has nothing to do with a company’s bottom line.

In the end, it’s the fault of people that like Facebook-style games. Companies salivate looking at the money that people waste on virtual items and P2W. Our gaming experience is going to change because of it.

> Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.

This^

Spartan Assault is the ONLY Halo game which I’ve played and have never beaten. I’m a huge fan of the Halo series but SA was TERRIBLE.

Purely aesthetic things like skins, emblems, etc are 100% okay
Then you get into the grey areas which SA boldly enters.

For those who don’t know, here’s how SA works:

At the start of the mission, you can “Choose” your weapon. You can either use the default weapon like a garbage AR, or you can spend earned in game credits on a Sniper Rifle. Additionally there are premium paid credits, which I’ve completed half the game and haven’t earned a single one, so I’m not sure if you can even earn one. So you use these premium credits (Real Money) to buy a Rocket Launcher or a Spartan Laser.

So far it is bad enough. You can either spend real money on the GOOD weapons, or you can run around with an AR. Good luck getting the highest rating with an AR or a Sniper. Yeah technically you don’t need the Rockets to WIN, but you can’t deny that the player with Rockets has a huge advantage over the player with the AR.

Now here’s the kick in the nuts…the Sniper, Rockets, and Splaser last for ONE mission. You get to use them ONE )@(*#&$ MISSION before having to purchase them again.

Microtransactions in their purest form are not a bad thing, they are a tool. When the tool is wielded by greedy people, like those who made SA, it becomes one of the worst things to happen to the gaming community.

I must be the only one who remembers the H4 launch…

People cap out their daily XP, and are upset
343 - Well, we’re trying to provide a FAIR environment

At the same time, the people who didn’t buy the limited edition were locked at SR70, while the people who SPENT EXTRA REAL MONEY, were allowed to reach SR130.

Don’t kid yourselves into thinking 343 cares about “Fair”. They have a track record of giving the advantage to people who spend more money. God help the gaming community when H5 comes out, if there are microtransactions in it…

“Well, it isn’t pay to win, because all players eventually unlock Rockets at SR999, but the people who pay us an extra $50 get to use them at SR1, all content is earnable in game, so piss off”

> Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.

That is another reason to justify one’s resentment towards Microtransactions.

Spartan Assault already pissed off enough gamers by making it a Windows 8 exclusive, but it also pissed them off even more by forcing you to buy an “upgrade” in order to complete some missions. The worst part about SA’s Microtransactions is that you’ve spent 3 dollars on something you get to use for 3 minutes. Also, to make matters worse, some elusive Weapon Skins found by those who search the realms of Halo 4 for glitches are believed to be soon used as DLC to boost the sales of Spartan Assault…

The incentive to use Halo 4 Microtransactions to boost Spartan Assault could certainly grow into adopting Pay2Win into the schematic, and I think giving those who buy Spartan Assault the edge in combat would certainly make more people want Spartan Assault.

> some elusive Weapon Skins found by those who search the realms of Halo 4 for glitches are believed to be soon used as DLC to boost the sales of Spartan Assault…

Still praying were wrong about this… and its just waypoint glyphs for everybody, its BS that you need SA for so much H4 stuff, i don’t mind buying DLC for cosmetics if its cheap, but having to get windows 8 and SA for a weapon skin? NOT worth it!

> > Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.
>
> This^
>
> Spartan Assault is the ONLY Halo game which I’ve played and have never beaten. I’m a huge fan of the Halo series but SA was TERRIBLE.
>
>
> <mark>At the same time, the people who didn’t buy the limited edition were locked at SR70, while the people who SPENT EXTRA REAL MONEY, were allowed to reach SR130.</mark>

If you played before November 20th, you got them. That’s how I got them.

OT: Micro-transactions are only bad if it’s like Day one DLC. It could have been free with the game, but the developers said NO, we need to make extra money. It’s even worse if the locked on disc items are Non-cosmetic, and require pay to win.

> > > Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.
> >
> > This^
> >
> > Spartan Assault is the ONLY Halo game which I’ve played and have never beaten. I’m a huge fan of the Halo series but SA was TERRIBLE.
> >
> >
> > <mark>At the same time, the people who didn’t buy the limited edition were locked at SR70, while the people who SPENT EXTRA REAL MONEY, were allowed to reach SR130.</mark>
>
> If you played before November 20th, you got them. That’s how I got them.
>
> OT: Micro-transactions are only bad if it’s like Day one DLC. It could have been free with the game, but the developers said NO, we need to make extra money. It’s even worse if the locked on disc items are Non-cosmetic, and require pay to win.

You got them LATER, after being locked at SR70 while other players were in fact SR130 at the time. Also you seem to have forgotten how badly they botched the Emailing, and there were players who had to wait for over another month after the fact because 343 did such a bad job.

The point is that on ONE hand, they were saying:
“There is a daily XP limit so that the game is fair”
And on the OTHER hand, they said:
“Oh, you spend extra money? Here, you can rank up more than others can”

They preached “Fairness”, but when it came down to it, they outright gave players who spent extra money an advantage. Do you think it was fair for the SR130 players to be able to crush the SR70 players because the SR70 didn’t have access to Stealth, and couldn’t block Promethean vision? Fixing things LATER, does not mean that there wasn’t a “Pay to win” advantage which was given, because to those of us who remember, there was.

> > > > Have you seen the Micro transactions in Spartan Assault they are ridiculous. I don’t mind paying for things you keep but not for stuff you use once then repay for.
> > >
> > > This^
> > >
> > > Spartan Assault is the ONLY Halo game which I’ve played and have never beaten. I’m a huge fan of the Halo series but SA was TERRIBLE.
> > >
> > >
> > > <mark>At the same time, the people who didn’t buy the limited edition were locked at SR70, while the people who SPENT EXTRA REAL MONEY, were allowed to reach SR130.</mark>
> >
> > If you played before November 20th, you got them. That’s how I got them.
> >
> > OT: Micro-transactions are only bad if it’s like Day one DLC. It could have been free with the game, but the developers said NO, we need to make extra money. It’s even worse if the locked on disc items are Non-cosmetic, and require pay to win.
>
> You got them LATER, after being locked at SR70 while other players were in fact SR130 at the time. Also you seem to have forgotten how badly they botched the Emailing, and there were players who had to wait for over another month after the fact because 343 did such a bad job.
>
> The point is that on ONE hand, they were saying:
> “There is a daily XP limit so that the game is fair”
> And on the OTHER hand, they said:
> “Oh, you spend extra money? Here, you can rank up more than others can”
>
> They preached “Fairness”, but when it came down to it, they outright gave players who spent extra money an advantage. <mark>Do you think it was fair for the SR130 players to be able to crush the SR70 players because the SR70 didn’t have access to Stealth, and couldn’t block Promethean vision?</mark> Fixing things LATER, does not mean that there wasn’t a “Pay to win” advantage which was given, because to those of us who remember, there was.

You do remember that Wetwork and Operator were usable from the start right? I find it funny that you are telling me to remember, when you can’t even remember that.

I remember how badly they botched the email, I was one of the last players to get it. (I got it over xbox messaging.) Honestly, you act like they held back a weapon or something. The only good ones are stealth, Wheelman (although only in vehicle battles), and stability. The rest did so little that they are almost a waste.

I get people’s views both pro and con with regards to micro transactions…but anyone using SA as an argument point are wrong in doing so…SA is mobile device “APP” … 90% of most apps have micro transactions … If it was a normal consol/pc GAME then I’d see your points…

> You got them LATER, after being locked at SR70 while other players were in fact SR130 at the time. Also you seem to have forgotten how badly they botched the Emailing, and there were players who had to wait for over another month after the fact because 343 did such a bad job.
>
> The point is that on ONE hand, they were saying:
> “There is a daily XP limit so that the game is fair”
> And on the OTHER hand, they said:
> “Oh, you spend extra money? Here, you can rank up more than others can”
>
> They preached “Fairness”, but when it came down to it, they outright gave players who spent extra money an advantage. Do you think it was fair for the SR130 players to be able to crush the SR70 players because the SR70 didn’t have access to Stealth, and couldn’t block Promethean vision? Fixing things LATER, does not mean that there wasn’t a “Pay to win” advantage which was given, because to those of us who remember, there was.

ANd so they couldnt block promethan vision? Guess what that attacker using promethean vision cant block it either… which leads to that being fair for both atleast in that case…

and honestly in the case of armor abilities, SR would have no relevance , its never going to be fair. WHich leads back to the big debate should armor abilities be in the game.

It’s because when I pay 60$ for a game, I expect to get everything.