So, what are the Covies saying?

“Swuzhi amawamu!”

“Tentoment!”

“Minshu!”

As you know, the Elites (and Grunts!) speak their language in Reach. However, this time it’s apparent that Bungie didn’t go the “use reversed English” route. Did they just tell the voice actors to spew foreign-sounding gibberish into the Microphone? Do these words actually translate into something? I heard somewhere (I forget where, it might’ve been the Legendary commentary) that the words actually do mean something.

I’m pretty sure Bungie made up some kind of Covenant mini-language, or at least a few phrases. After all, Grunts occasionally say the word “Shangheili”.

But to be honest, I’m actually sad that the Covies don’t speak English anymore in Reach. All the fun and weird stuff they had to say during the trilogy and ODST - especially with the IWHBYD skull enabled - made replaying the campaigns a lot more worthwhile and entertaining.

> I’m pretty sure Bungie made up some kind of Covenant mini-language, or at least a few phrases. After all, Grunts occasionally say the word “Shangheili”.
>
> But to be honest, I’m actually sad that the Covies don’t speak English anymore in Reach. All the fun and weird stuff they had to say during the trilogy and ODST - especially with the IWHBYD skull enabled - made replaying the campaigns a lot more worthwhile and entertaining.

Agreed, but on the other hand it makes them more alien if they talk in alien language. I think there should be an option to set the enemy language to what you want.

> > I’m pretty sure Bungie made up some kind of Covenant mini-language, or at least a few phrases. After all, Grunts occasionally say the word “Shangheili”.
> >
> > But to be honest, I’m actually sad that the Covies don’t speak English anymore in Reach. All the fun and weird stuff they had to say during the trilogy and ODST - especially with the IWHBYD skull enabled - made replaying the campaigns a lot more worthwhile and entertaining.
>
> Agreed, but on the other hand it makes them more alien if they talk in alien language. I think there should be an option to set the enemy language to what you want.

The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.

Also, I don’t think or even only have the feeling that the Covies are now more alien because they’re talking in their own language. Since you’ve already encountered them four times already when they were speaking English (five times if you count Halo Wars), making them speak their own language in Reach now doesn’t add much if any alienesque touch to them.

From what i can piece out…I think some of them mean this.

“Minshu zarrrr!” = Damn you!

“Wort Wort Wort” = Go! Go! Go!

> The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.

What an ingenious idea!

> > The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.
>
> What an ingenious idea!

I know. Praise yourself lucky and honored for knowing me. :wink:

Anyway, that Covies aren’t speaking English anymore in Reach rendered the IWHBYD skull almost useless for the campaign. I’ve noticed only very minor differences when it’s turned on.

Without Covies speaking English, Halo just isn’t the same anymore. And that’s actually my biggest grief with Reach. I can cope with bloom, armor lock, and other questionable design decisions, but Covies not speaking English anymore? That was a huge let-down. :’(

The grunts dream in english:

“It’s funny but I dream in english”

> > > The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.
> >
> > What an ingenious idea!
>
> I know. Praise yourself lucky and honored for knowing me. :wink:
>
> Anyway, that Covies aren’t speaking English anymore in Reach rendered the IWHBYD skull almost useless for the campaign. I’ve noticed only very minor differences when it’s turned on.
>
> Without Covies speaking English, Halo just isn’t the same anymore. And that’s actually my biggest grief with Reach. I can cope with bloom, armor lock, and other questionable design decisions, but Covies not speaking English anymore? That was a huge let-down. :’(

DUDE, they didnt speak english in Halo ce. And now your saying halo isnt halo anymore??!

We should make our own language for the covies. Take the linguistics we’ve already heard and add our own english interpretation to them and then make new covie words up with an English translation too. You never know 343 may include some of it in Halo
We’ve already had.

> “Minshu zarrrr!” = Damn you!
> “Wort Wort Wort” = Go! Go! Go!

Sinse this is Halo 4 and the return of MC i’ll go with:
“Martuka”- Demon

> > > > The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.
> > >
> > > What an ingenious idea!
> >
> > I know. Praise yourself lucky and honored for knowing me. :wink:
> >
> > Anyway, that Covies aren’t speaking English anymore in Reach rendered the IWHBYD skull almost useless for the campaign. I’ve noticed only very minor differences when it’s turned on.
> >
> > Without Covies speaking English, Halo just isn’t the same anymore. And that’s actually my biggest grief with Reach. I can cope with bloom, armor lock, and other questionable design decisions, but Covies not speaking English anymore? That was a huge let-down. :’(
>
> DUDE, they didnt speak english in Halo ce. And now your saying halo isnt halo anymore??!

They spoke English in H:CE. At least the Grunts did.

> They spoke English in H:CE. At least the Grunts did.

This is because Cortana is translating the covenant language through the suit.
Spartan III’s don’t have Cortana and their suit is not as advanced

Master Chief’s armour doesn’t translate anything, that’s a stupid myth. How do you explain Johnson, Keyes, Miranda, Hood and countless other humans talking to/listening to the Covenant in conversation? A proper explanation would be that the Covenant ground troops on Reach were new and hadn’t learnt English properly yet, and as a result they had to speak in their own languages.

The fact that Reach was after 10 or more years of battling the Covenant (can’t remeber the exact date of 1st contact) and the events of Halo CE take place only a few short days after Reach then I would say that blows your theory.
2nd I never said it was the suit translating I said it was Cortana.
3rd and last the fact that the alot of the conversations that take place Lord Hood and Arbiter to name one is after a coalition had been formed it stands to reason that any conversation would be done in a language familiar to all present. It was after all on Earth.

> The fact that Reach was after 10 or more years of battling the Covenant (can’t remeber the exact date of 1st contact) and the events of Halo CE take place only a few short days after Reach then I would say that blows your theory.

First contact with the Covenant occured in 2524, and the the war broke out the next year. Thus the events of Halo: Reach take place in the 31st year of the Human-Covenant war. Just to clear that up. :slight_smile:

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter what the in-game explantion is for humans and Covenant being able to understand each other (see note below). The point is that the Covies provided quite a lot of entertainment with their funny one-liners and dialogs since H:CE, especially with the IWHBYD skull enabled in H3 and ODST. And that part was unfortunately completely missing in Reach, sadly taking away at least some of the replay value the campaigns had provided.

Note: The Covenant were smart enough to realize that understanding humans was important, and so they trained countless Unggoy in various human languages. It’s actually uncommon for an Unggoy not to be fluent in at least a couple of human languages.

> > > > > The IWHBYD skull would have been the perfect “switch” for that; Covies speak their language if the skull is disabled, and speak English if it’s enabled.
> > > >
> > > > What an ingenious idea!
> > >
> > > I know. Praise yourself lucky and honored for knowing me. :wink:
> > >
> > > Anyway, that Covies aren’t speaking English anymore in Reach rendered the IWHBYD skull almost useless for the campaign. I’ve noticed only very minor differences when it’s turned on.
> > >
> > > Without Covies speaking English, Halo just isn’t the same anymore. And that’s actually my biggest grief with Reach. I can cope with bloom, armor lock, and other questionable design decisions, but Covies not speaking English anymore? That was a huge let-down. :’(
> >
> > DUDE, they didnt speak english in Halo ce. And now your saying halo isnt halo anymore??!
>
> They spoke English in H:CE. At least the Grunts did.

And Elites.

‘HAAAAGH over there!’

> Master Chief’s armour doesn’t translate anything, that’s a stupid myth. How do you explain Johnson, Keyes, Miranda, Hood and countless other humans talking to/listening to the Covenant in conversation? A proper explanation would be that the Covenant ground troops on Reach were new and hadn’t learnt English properly yet, and as a result they had to speak in their own languages.

Not really. Why give orders in english, and let the soldiers whom you are fighting know what move you will next make. The countless times enemies have foolishly stumbled to their death in Halo 2 because an Elite said, “You! Go look.”

Also, user above, the Elites spoke no english in Combat Evolved.

> > Master Chief’s armour doesn’t translate anything, that’s a stupid myth. How do you explain Johnson, Keyes, Miranda, Hood and countless other humans talking to/listening to the Covenant in conversation? A proper explanation would be that the Covenant ground troops on Reach were new and hadn’t learnt English properly yet, and as a result they had to speak in their own languages.
>
> Not really. Why give orders in english, and let the soldiers whom you are fighting know what move you will next make. The countless times enemies have foolishly stumbled to their death in Halo 2 because an Elite said, “You! Go look.”
>
> Also, user above, the Elites spoke no english in Combat Evolved.

Yeah, but for the Covenant to speak in their languages during battle they would all have to speak each others languages in order to receive orders. Teaching everyone English gives them a language to communicate in between species and a way to understand their enemies.

care to explain halo wars :wink: hehe