So... the Harvester? (spoilers)

Mild spoilers if you haven’t yet played this weeks Spartan Ops.

Right: what the heck is a Covenant Harvester? Has this been mentioned at any point up to now? What does it do?

If the Storm Covenant have access to huge war machines like this, why no Scarabs in Campaign or Spops?

And last of all, why is it so organic? I know, Covenant tech has always had that sleek, fish-like aesthetic to it, but this vehicle is completely biological-looking. It even has a spine inside. What the…?

well i think im the mission they mention that the covenant was using the harvester to dig into the ground to find a forunner artifact, it’s not a war machine, its just some digging thing.

> it’s not a war machine, its just some digging thing.

Neither was the Scarab, originally.

I believe its a variant of the Covenant “Beacon”.

A massive platform/object used and maintained by Yanme’e to send fueld up to orbiting fleets.

It was taken by the Storm due to the lack of Scarabs, and repurposed into a mining platform… thus why the UNSC renamed it a Harvester. The Organic and general non-Covenant look and feel are due to the Yanme’e desings… they’re bugs. This thing could be a Yanme’e Hive, or connected to/designed like one.

The Beacon is shown in the Evolutions story :Blunt Instruments.

All we know for sure about it is that the Covies call it a harvester, not much else.

I thought it was flood at first, because it had a greenish fog and (what seem to be) teeth on it like the infected spartans do on their arm in MP, but I guess it’s made out of that Legoko or w/e stuff that makes up hunters… IDK but hopefully 343 addresses our skepticism soon.

I’m guessing that the harvester was repurposed as a war machine stronger than a scarab, mostly given it’s name with a purpose to rip planets apart. But what I find interesting is Palmer said " make sure that thing doesn’t come back to life" not make sure it doesn’t get turned back on.

> I believe its a variant of the Covenant “Beacon”.
>
> A massive platform/object used and maintained by Yanme’e to send fueld up to orbiting fleets.
>
>
>
> It was taken by the Storm due to the lack of Scarabs, and repurposed into a mining platform… thus why the UNSC renamed it a Harvester. The Organic and general non-Covenant look and feel are due to the Yanme’e desings… they’re bugs. This thing could be a Yanme’e Hive, or connected to/designed like one.
>
>
> The Beacon is shown in the Evolutions story :Blunt Instruments.

That seems like a bit of a stretch, but it kinda makes sense. We might have to wait until later to find out more about it however.

The UNSC might know about it, and is just keeping us in the dark. Much like they did with Doctor Halsey.

If you explore the Harvester closely, you’ll find several tubes of moving worms throughout the thing. I’m guessing it’s a mining platform built around Lekgolo worms (like Hunters and Scarabs), though the repurposed Drone hive theory sounds good too.

If anyone wants to look at some pictures I took exploring the Harvester, go here.

Having not played the episode yet, can someone explain to me (in spoiler tags, of course) what the Harvester is? I’m aware that it’s the giant Scarab-looking thing from the trailer, but can you explain its function, size, and whether it actually moves at all in-game?

> Having not played the episode yet, can someone explain to me (in spoiler tags, of course) what the Harvester is? I’m aware that it’s the giant Scarab-looking thing from the trailer, but can you explain its function, size, and whether it actually moves at all in-game?

It’s just an objective/scenery piece, albeit a very big and cool one. It’s at least twice as tall and twice as wide as a normal Scarab, perhaps more.

It doesn’t move at all apart from the front ramp/mouth which opens and closes to let Covenant troops out. It looks like it crashed or was disabled while mining. Inside is fairly spacious but it’s just walkways with an upper control section, there’s really not much suggestion of inner workings or storage.

hope we have to fight or disable it in H5, whether it is a mining watcha majig or if its tunred into a war machine, i wanna fight it…

yeah it’s pretty badass. although I thought we could actually board a moving “scarab” and destroy it. ohwell. :frowning:

and I thought we could pilot broadswords too!

I have no idea what the heck it is really. I was struck by how much it looked like Collector tech from Mass Effect

When you enter the harvester, are you going through the front or back? I still can’t tell.