So I've given BR Starts on Halo 5 a fair try.

and I was skeptical at first, but I gave it a few shots and found that I still completely and totally despise it. It removes the necessity to move around and makes the game overly campy in gun-play. All other weapons are entirely obsolete because it functions in close, mid, and long range as a hit scan weapon. It even out performs SMG’s and AR’s in close quarters if you get unlucky with the flinch!

The point being that I firmly believe the BR needs to stay on the field as a static spawn and NOT be a common/spawn starter weapon.

I’ll be back next week when AR+Magnum starts are back in the game.

I feel like BR starts make team play more essential in a bad way. If my teammates suck, which they often do, the game is pretty much decided within the first 10 seconds of the match.

Serious question, do you maybe favor AR starts bc you aren’t very good with the BR? All of my friends that hate BR starts all struggle using the BR. Just wondering if you really feel it makes the game campy or you just aren’t a fan of losing.

If you hate the BR start just grab an SMG or AR and stick with your teammates. Somebody needs to protect them close up.

I’ve given BR starts a fair shot as well and while I am not fond of it in any way, I’m not opposed to it in small doses as BR Slayer/Legendary Slayer/Whateveryawannacallit.

I do like the BR on this game which, if you knew me, would make you question if this was actually me posting. I have been a very adamant member of the ‘Screw the Battle Rifle’ club since I met it. I wanted to like it. I really, really did! Same with the LightRifle in H4. Never could stand them the way they performed, especially when they could beat the AR at the AR’s range almost 100% of the time if the BR user was good. As for the LightRifle… never could get the hang of it. Seemed useless to me compared to the Carbine/BR/DMR online.

Now, against all odds, I’ve found I actually like the damnable BR and LR. I don’t quite get the LR’s new construction yet but I like it so far and I picked up the BR (as usually is when I pick it up) out of anger at being killed by the stupid thing and found it was much more usable this time around, if a little bit cheap (just a tad). I took to regularly picking one up on Empire after this point.

I don’t like the BR starts in this, however, for the same reasons I disliked them before: When you start with a mid-long capable weapon on a map where most of it seems built for CQC it makes people hang back more to hover about the edges, keeping distance and leaving much of the playspace unused.
In larger maps, it provides lane-blocking firepower at spawn that either encourages camping or turns the whole thing into a mid-long game and makes things like automatics (excepting maybe the SAW), Sword, Shotgun and short-mid range explosive weapons pretty much pointless most of the time.

While exceptions exist in either very well built maps or specialized gametypes, generally AR starts allow more freedom of equipment choice throughout the game with less fear of nearly guarantied punishment for choosing them.

This is, of course, my opinion and personal experience. Yours may vary.

> 2533274833380875;2:
> I feel like BR starts make team play more essential in a bad way. If my teammates suck, which they often do, the game is pretty much decided within the first 10 seconds of the match.

Wait, wait, wait! You mean that in a team slayer match with crappy teammates you’re probably going to lose??? Hold the freaking phone!

Okay, in all seriousness, getting stuck with bad teammates and losing because of it blows. It happens and it sucks, but there is an answer. Get a team together and don’t play with randoms for teammates. If you don’t have any friends on, play with a mic and get people to party up with you. Surprisingly, other people are probably tired of getting stuck with randoms too.

> 2535441097577341;3:
> Serious question, do you maybe favor AR starts bc you aren’t very good with the BR? All of my friends that hate BR starts all struggle using the BR. Just wondering if you really feel it makes the game campy or you just aren’t a fan of losing.

No way, a zealous fan of BR starts playing the “if you don’t like BR’s, you must suck with them” straw-man argument? Color me -Yoinking!-’ surprised!

No seriously dude, I can do just fine with a BR, with a good team we will dominate and own and cut people down before their brains can even register that they are taking fire. The problem with BR starts is that it promotes camping and slow gameplay, the BR isn’t more “skilled” it’s more specialized for mid/long range combat, but it is also a bit of a power weapon due to it’s all around deadly nature, it kills almost all weapons that are specialized. It can reliably be used to shut down SMG’s, AR’s, Sniper Rifles, DMR’s, and most any power weapon that you can’t one shot in an ambush attempt.

The threads speak for themselves and most randoms and generally speaking of people who play the Beta are agreed that AR starts were superior and more fun as well as competitive in that regard.

BR’s are more or less a crutch, for the dredges of this game and most of the noise and holdouts are from players on these forums.

Op i’m not trying to bash you. But I really do find these threads funny. This "Br starts ruin the game and = no map movement/campy gameplay.) I’m pretty sure it’s a low division/ casual gamer problem. In no way shape or form do I or anyone of my skill level and above play any more passive with BR starts. We actually play more aggresive in an attempt to get very good strongholds on the map. Which I guess if you call that camping. Then you sir, do not know how to play halo correctly.

I hope by camping you mean crouching around a corner and literally waiting for someone to pass by (which still would be a stupid problem for you as the br in this game is a very unreliable close range weapon for the average player), because this isn’t COD. You can’t camp. And to the people that do “camp” you can easily in this game grenade them out. It’s not like COD where I can lay prone in the grass cross map and kill you everytime or anything. I just don’t see the angle where people seem to feel BR starts prevents map movement. If anything you just have to be smarter about it, I have no troubles getting from point A to point B on a map during BR start games. So it would simply come down to your lack of gameskill.(Once again, not bashing you and calling you bad. But this might be some insight to your problem and others alike)

Edit: and then Wrath, I looked up your stats. Now i’m not one to judge by stats. But it gives me a pretty good idea at why you hate BR starts. I’m just saying. I see you alot on the forums bashing BR starts. Now I understand. lol

Agreed, there’s less of an emphasis on Team play and map control. This game is going to go to -Yoink- if 343 keeps listening to the BR fan boys like every other game has been. This game needs to be different and competitive not on how to use the BR, but how to play like a team.

> 2533274857454737;8:
> Op i’m not trying to bash you. But I really do find these threads funny. This "Br starts ruin the game and = no map movement/campy gameplay.) I’m pretty sure it’s a low division/ casual gamer problem. In no way shape or form do I or anyone of my skill level and above play any more passive with BR starts. We actually play more aggresive in an attempt to get very good strongholds on the map. Which I guess if you call that camping. Then you sir, do not know how to play halo correctly.
>
> I hope by camping you mean crouching around a corner and literally waiting for someone to pass by (which still would be a stupid problem for you as the br in this game is a very unreliable close range weapon for the average player), because this isn’t COD. You can’t camp. And to the people that do “camp” you can easily in this game grenade them out. It’s not like COD where I can lay prone in the grass cross map and kill you everytime or anything. I just don’t see the angle where people seem to feel BR starts prevents map movement. If anything you just have to be smarter about it, I have no troubles getting from point A to point B on a map during BR start games. So it would simply come down to your lack of gameskill.(Once again, not bashing you and calling you bad. But this might be some insight to your problem and others alike)
>
> Edit: and then Wrath, I looked up your stats. Now i’m not one to judge by stats. But it gives me a pretty good idea at why you hate BR starts. I’m just saying. I see you alot on the forums bashing BR starts. Now I understand. lol

and you immediately lost credibility and objectivity by trying to use stats as a means of anything. It’s a red-herring argument, you’re trying to draw people away from the actual discussion.

Red Herring at best, Argumentum ad Hominem at worst. You don’t look better for it.

I’ve played mobile enough games with BR’s, it’s not a “measure of skill” considering no other Halo game has had this level of mobility before. BR starts are still terrible for the game, have always been terrible, and always will be terrible for Halo. Been playing since Halo CE, if you want to be the kind of MLG Wannabe/Nevergonnabe that -Yoink!- himself into a coma over BR Starts, you’re just limiting your view into a very narrow and undeservedly elitist perspective.

It is after all possible to have AR starts and be competitive. BR’s however in such large numbers are game-breaking.

ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT

Your just mad because your not as good as everyone else, cry baby.

I think I should have a BR, its cool.

Having an AR breaks immersion for me, I should be able to shoot across the map, I’m a spartan!

It needs to be BR starts because that is modern and no one will buy a game with out BR starts.

How do you like it?

> 2533274859583324;11:
> ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT
>
> Your just mad because your not as good as everyone else, cry baby.
>
> I think I should have a BR, its cool.
>
> Having an AR breaks immersion for me, I should be able to shoot across the map, I’m a spartan!
>
> It needs to be BR starts because that is modern and no one will buy a game with out BR starts.
>
> How do you like it?

I’m supposing you’ve yet to hit puberty and lack maturity or ability to discuss and debate properly. Therefore you have been reported as a troll to moderation and shall be dealt with in due time. Have a pleasant day and please burn in hell.

> 2533274824466008;12:
> > 2533274859583324;11:
> > ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT
> >
> > Your just mad because your not as good as everyone else, cry baby.
> >
> > I think I should have a BR, its cool.
> >
> > Having an AR breaks immersion for me, I should be able to shoot across the map, I’m a spartan!
> >
> > It needs to be BR starts because that is modern and no one will buy a game with out BR starts.
> >
> > How do you like it?
>
>
>
> I’m supposing you’ve yet to hit puberty and lack maturity or ability to discuss and debate properly. Therefore you have been reported as a troll to moderation and shall be dealt with in due time. Have a pleasant day and please burn in hell.

That last sentence just undid everything you were trying to do.

BR starts were necessary in the past because most other weapons were utter crap in comparison. Now that other weapons are not crap, BR starts are not necessary. As it is now you don’t need to move around much to control the map because of the long range of the BR and every kill gives you more BR ammo. With AR starts you are required to find the weapons and scavenge for more ammo which makes the match more alive because you are actually moving. With BR starts everyone tries to go Rambo and out-BR the enemy because “MUH SKILLS BRAH” and then they fall flat like a mentally deficient baby seal covered in crude oil with deformed flippers slapping the controller.

BR starts are where its at

BR starts allow me to challenge power weapons, break map set ups and control the map

BR starts allow me to move around more freely, as another user said, I play more aggressive with a BR, I move around the map and hunt with my team we lock down power weapon spawns we lock down map control and we do it with the BR

AR starts remove the ability for players to fight back from the game, ther is no fun in spawning with the AR and dying 10 seconds later because you don’t have the ability to fight back from mid-long range.

BR starts have been around since H2 and they have been a halo staple since H2, there is a reason why competitive halo (MLG PLG ACL etc etc) use BR starts…its more competitive

Much like the pro sprint arguers (I am going to go out on a limb and say you are one of them) say “BR starts are here to stay they are a good thing, get used to them”

Like the idea of the br being a static spawn on map instead of team starts with it at the moment. Seems as a starting weapon it behaves like a team power weapon making gameplay less interactive and not as dynamic compared to ar starts.

> 2533274832130936;14:
> BR starts are where its at
>
> BR starts allow me to challenge power weapons, break map set ups and control the map
>
> BR starts allow me to move around more freely, as another user said, I play more aggressive with a BR, I move around the map and hunt with my team we lock down power weapon spawns we lock down map control and we do it with the BR
>
> AR starts remove the ability for players to fight back from the game, ther is no fun in spawning with the AR and dying 10 seconds later because you don’t have the ability to fight back from mid-long range.
>
> BR starts have been around since H2 and they have been a halo staple since H2, there is a reason why competitive halo (MLG PLG ACL etc etc) use BR starts…its more competitive
>
> Much like the pro sprint arguers (I am going to go out on a limb and say you are one of them) say “BR starts are here to stay they are a good thing, get used to them”

This is all true for H2 - H4, but not H5. AR starts are actually competitive / balanced now

> 2533274832130936;14:
> BR starts are where its at
>
> BR starts allow me to challenge power weapons, break map set ups and control the map
>
> BR starts allow me to move around more freely, as another user said, I play more aggressive with a BR, I move around the map and hunt with my team we lock down power weapon spawns we lock down map control and we do it with the BR
>
> AR starts remove the ability for players to fight back from the game, ther is no fun in spawning with the AR and dying 10 seconds later because you don’t have the ability to fight back from mid-long range.
>
> BR starts have been around since H2 and they have been a halo staple since H2, there is a reason why competitive halo (MLG PLG ACL etc etc) use BR starts…its more competitive
>
> Much like the pro sprint arguers (I am going to go out on a limb and say you are one of them) say “BR starts are here to stay they are a good thing, get used to them”

BR starts are fine, but not all the time.

BR starts encourage players to grab power weapons and then rack up kills through camping.

BR starts cut out the usefulness of other weapons and reward players for sitting together in a single area. With AR starts, both the BR and the DMR are useful pick-ups because they offer long-range damage. With BR starts, getting a DMR becomes much less important because it’s less risky to stick with your “good enough” starting weapons.

AR starts encourage players to seek other weapons, but keep the enemy team on the move by forcing them to replenish their ammunition. With BR starts, players are given a powerful well-rounded weapon. Relocating to find ammunition is no longer an issue since their BRs will always be filled from the ammo of dead players.

BR starts were only in Halo 2 because most of the other weapons were weak. The SMG was too weak to act as a primary weapon and there was no true AR equivalent. In Halo 3, the BR offered mid-range damage and the AR was still pretty weak. In Halo 4, there was a mix of differing weapon starts.

In my opinion, BR starts would be fine if they didn’t make every other non-power weapon worthless. Unfortunately, it does just that

> 2592250499807011;16:
> > 2533274832130936;14:
> > BR starts are where its at
> >
> > BR starts allow me to challenge power weapons, break map set ups and control the map
> >
> > BR starts allow me to move around more freely, as another user said, I play more aggressive with a BR, I move around the map and hunt with my team we lock down power weapon spawns we lock down map control and we do it with the BR
> >
> > AR starts remove the ability for players to fight back from the game, ther is no fun in spawning with the AR and dying 10 seconds later because you don’t have the ability to fight back from mid-long range.
> >
> > BR starts have been around since H2 and they have been a halo staple since H2, there is a reason why competitive halo (MLG PLG ACL etc etc) use BR starts…its more competitive
> >
> > Much like the pro sprint arguers (I am going to go out on a limb and say you are one of them) say “BR starts are here to stay they are a good thing, get used to them”
>
>
> This is all true for H2 - H4, but not H5. AR starts are actually competitive / balanced now

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree

The AR is unbalanced which in my opinion makes AR starts unbalanced by default

Plus even with the AR in its current overly strong at all ranges incarnation you still can’t push a sniper or someone with rockets and hope to successfully win, take those weapons and assume map control

And if you’ve gotten into a position where you are being dominated…you can’t break that domination with a close-mid range weapon

You know what I called those kinds of players in H3 and H:R?
Lemmings…

Small little mammals that once they reach a certain age (I believe its age five) they decide that its time to commit suicide and jump off a cliff

Players in H3 and H4 were kinda like that

AR rusher runs into top yellow on sword base and is immediately killed by player camping with shot gun red x pops up
Me on mic: “They are camping top yellow with shotty…don’t go in there”
watchs another AR user run into top yellow red x pops u[
me on mic: “they are camping top yellow with sword…don’t go in…”
same AR user runs into top yellow…red x pops up
me on mic: “THEY ARE %$^%$^%$ CAMPING TOP YELLOW STAY THE &%^%^% OUT OF THERE”

See?

Lemmings…

> 2533274824466008;7:
> > 2535441097577341;3:
> > Serious question, do you maybe favor AR starts bc you aren’t very good with the BR? All of my friends that hate BR starts all struggle using the BR. Just wondering if you really feel it makes the game campy or you just aren’t a fan of losing.
>
>
> No way, a zealous fan of BR starts playing the “if you don’t like BR’s, you must suck with them” straw-man argument? Color me -Yoinking!-’ surprised!
>
> No seriously dude, I can do just fine with a BR, with a good team we will dominate and own and cut people down before their brains can even register that they are taking fire. The problem with BR starts is that it promotes camping and slow gameplay, the BR isn’t more “skilled” it’s more specialized for mid/long range combat, but it is also a bit of a power weapon due to it’s all around deadly nature, it kills almost all weapons that are specialized. It can reliably be used to shut down SMG’s, AR’s, Sniper Rifles, DMR’s, and most any power weapon that you can’t one shot in an ambush attempt.
>
> The threads speak for themselves and most randoms and generally speaking of people who play the Beta are agreed that AR starts were superior and more fun as well as competitive in that regard.
>
> BR’s are more or less a crutch, for the dredges of this game and most of the noise and holdouts are from players on these forums.

if precision weapon starts are for the “dredges” then why is precision weapon starts the majority vote for every online halo experience?

> 2535441097577341;3:
> Serious question, do you maybe favor AR starts bc you aren’t very good with the BR? All of my friends that hate BR starts all struggle using the BR. Just wondering if you really feel it makes the game campy or you just aren’t a fan of losing.

I love the BR, in this game and in every other Halo game, yet I despise BR starts in Halo 5. It just doesn’t work with the dynamics in play in its current state.

Maybe it could work better without radar.