So is Master Chief no longer a Mark 5 Cyborg?

I’m just curious, especially since i remember reading a thread on a forum last week while reading up info about the game series since i bought the Halo:CEA edition, one guy made a thread to mock his friend for thinking Master Chief was Cyborg, and everyone also joined in.

Yet, even in the Anniversary edition of Halo, NPC’s refer to Master Chief as a Mark 5. And also references to being a cyborg, the example of when the game has “chapter” checkpoints with text at the bottom one said “A.I.s and Cyborgs first”

I’m just curious, how come this seems so forgotten, even when the first halo was re-released not long ago and when the details vastly changed? Which details are valid, and which are “wrong” ? because i typically associate the original game to be the full source of info but it seems like it’s widely left alone now :S

It was an inside joke at Bungie in reference to their Marathon games, in which you played as the Cyborg. At least that’s what I think, could be wrong.

The Master Chief is clearly a cyborg because he clearly has a computer chip in his brain. This is referenced to I don’t even know how many times in Halo, and Lord Hood is even shown clearly with a metal thing in his head because he too has a chip like the Chief. Captain Keyes was also chipped.

If anyone doesn’t know that then they’re not much of a Halo fan, because I don’t see how anyone could miss those comments about the Chief being “chipped” or “having his mind computed.”

Maybe people don’t realize having a computer chip in your brain makes you a cyborg???

Can you tell me where you read that from or why you think that?

I dunno, i’d think it strange to do inside jokes at the expense of another games details, i know games tend to have some reference to other games, but i never imagine it being used in such a situation that makes it confusing to know which parts meant to be serious.

I was trying to think of an example but i have none atm, might edit one in later.

Edit: @eating lunch, i made the original reply before i saw your post, admittedly, i don’t recall those specific references to them all being chipped, and i don’t recall who lord hood is. i’m still replaying the original halo again after years so my memory for everything is rusty.

but if what you mention isn’t Halo 1 specific can you please direct me to which version it is in? :slight_smile:

It could be because of his neural implant, but I doubt such a small chip already makes one a “cyborg”. That would make my cat a cyborg as well. On the other hand, Spartans are kind-of “connected” to their armor so that could make them be referred to as Cyborgs.

Also, the Mark 5 quote likely refers to Chief’s Mark-V Mjolnir armor, instead of the Chief himself.

> The Master Chief is clearly a cyborg because he clearly has a computer chip in his brain. This is referenced to I don’t even know how many times in Halo, and Lord Hood is even shown clearly with a metal thing in his head because he too has a chip like the Chief. Captain Keyes was also chipped.
>
> If anyone doesn’t know that then they’re not much of a Halo fan, because I don’t see how anyone could miss those comments about the Chief being “chipped” or “having his mind computed.”
>
> Maybe people don’t realize having a computer chip in your brain makes you a cyborg???

Have you read Dr. Halsey’s diary you get from per-ordering Halo: Reach? That will explain the “computer chip” thing at the back of the head.

> > The Master Chief is clearly a cyborg because he clearly has a computer chip in his brain. This is referenced to I don’t even know how many times in Halo, and Lord Hood is even shown clearly with a metal thing in his head because he too has a chip like the Chief. Captain Keyes was also chipped.
> >
> > If anyone doesn’t know that then they’re not much of a Halo fan, because I don’t see how anyone could miss those comments about the Chief being “chipped” or “having his mind computed.”
> >
> > Maybe people don’t realize having a computer chip in your brain makes you a cyborg???
>
> Have you read Dr. Halsey’s diary you get from per-ordering Halo: Reach? That will explain the “computer chip” thing at the back of the head.

Care to elaborate plz?

Okay, so the Mark 5 Mjolnir armour would cover one part, and while yes i think just a single chip isn’t enough, to qualify, i still think it confusing that it seems the details are re-written without any obvious way of knowing why it’s changed, but then again i might have missed something, like the mark 5 mjolnir armour mention which now i think, i think it was said in halo 2’s beginning? so yeah :S

If you want to get really technical, most officers and Spartans in the UNSC could be classified as cyborgs due to their neural implants. In no Halo cannon has John 117 ever been the kind of cyborg I think you’re referring to. It may have been an early idea that wasn’t scrapped until late in the first game’s development. It remained in Anniversary because they didn’t rerecord audio or rename things, they simply re skinned the game, redid the music and added terminals.

Okay, so would you know then if the entire take on halo 2 changed this concept or went with it? untill they re-release Halo 2 i can’t play, or is it already released again?

> > > The Master Chief is clearly a cyborg because he clearly has a computer chip in his brain. This is referenced to I don’t even know how many times in Halo, and Lord Hood is even shown clearly with a metal thing in his head because he too has a chip like the Chief. Captain Keyes was also chipped.
> > >
> > > If anyone doesn’t know that then they’re not much of a Halo fan, because I don’t see how anyone could miss those comments about the Chief being “chipped” or “having his mind computed.”
> > >
> > > Maybe people don’t realize having a computer chip in your brain makes you a cyborg???
> >
> > Have you read Dr. Halsey’s diary you get from per-ordering Halo: Reach? That will explain the “computer chip” thing at the back of the head.
>
> Care to elaborate plz?

This is from one of the pages of the book. I’m not sure if it will help though but it explains what it does. There are pictures which would help but I cannot post them here. :frowning:

Edit: I noticed a few spelling errors. If there are anymore, sorry. :slight_smile:

"We have successfully used our hardware and algorithms to scan and imprint neural networks from human brains to AI seeds. At much lower intensities, we imprint ephemeral low-order structure (i.e., short term memories) between two participant intellects.

This is NOT telepathy as Dr. Forester calls it. Rather it imparts the same neural network imprint as audio, scent, visual, and similar stimulations, minus the sensory input part, of course.

The result iis a direct human-to-AI neural linkage. (Field tests pending. Must get those done soon.)

This is the final Mark V upgrade we need…my final gift to those Spartns; a gift that will make them ferociously effective against the technology of the adversary - the last thing I can offer to help them survive.

Why then do I feel that by combining Spartan and AI…I lose both?

Is there any choice left?"

He was never a “cyborg”

> He was never a “cyborg”

Care to explain? Others are at least putting more effort into it, and i figure if someone is going to make such a bold statement they might explain why the original halo has strongly implied it.

He does have neural implants and a metal skeleton.

John, or any of the Spartans are not cyborgs. Read The Fall Of Reach. Also, the Spartans neural Implants are basically for their FOF tags, (friend or foe), and to allow the signals from their central nervous system, for movement, to be picked up by the Mjolnir, which in turn, would make the suit move as well. They are physically augmented humans in a suit of armor. It wasn’t until the above quote from Halseys journal that the implant was upgraded to allow an AI to work through it in addition to the 2 other above functions. Actually, I believe all UNSC personal are fitted with a neural implant for the FOF tag reason.

> He does have neural implants and a metal skeleton.

So Granny with a subdermal hearing aid and a hip replacement is a cyborg?

> It could be because of his neural implant, but I doubt such a small chip already makes one a “cyborg”. That would make my cat a cyborg as well. On the other hand, Spartans are kind-of “connected” to their armor so that could make them be referred to as Cyborgs.
>
> Also, the Mark 5 quote likely refers to Chief’s Mark-V Mjolnir armor, instead of the Chief himself.

^^ This appears to be the best explanation.
Shame the thank button doesn’t work on my browser. :frowning:

> > He does have neural implants and a metal skeleton.
>
> So Granny with a subdermal hearing aid and a hip replacement is a cyborg?

According to the definition of cyborg yes.

Hip replacement =/= Metal skeleton.

His neural implants do far more than assist hearing.

Dont consider him a Cyborg, he is just simply a Super Human with scientific and medical advancements to make him more so. I dont consider Wolverine a Cyborg and there are alot of similarities between the Spartan Program and Weapon X programs.

He is a cyborg.

But not like the Van Damme type of cyborg.

More like a Mario Van Pebbles sort of borg.