So is it official: No ranked playlists?

I’ve seen a few posts from people saying that there are no ranked playlists in Halo 4. I just want to have that confirmed by anyone who may know. Halo 2 had Ranked playlists, Halo 3 had them, Reach even had one in the sense of Arena (granted it had poor execution) so the idea of there being no ranked playlists at all in Halo 4 seems odd considering ranked playlists help give the game a longer lifespan with the fanbase.

And no, I’m not some Halo 3 50 who is upset by the lack of a ranked playlist. I’m actually a ranked 30-something who wasn’t all that great at Halo 3 but I enjoy ranked playlists none the less because of their innately more competitive nature.

Wow this thread got way more attention than I expected. Just remember to keep it classy everyone :slight_smile:

Doesn’t look like there is one with what David Ellis was saying. They’re going to wish they added one when the game dies out and turns into Reach v2.

Its actually not ranked, its more like a balanced social playlist search.

I can’t believe they even removed arena, a few tweaks and arena would have been perfect.

Still going to play, for how long though? 6months?

It’s a sad day when A cod title launches at the same time as halo and cod is the one rocking a competitive rank system

I’m bitterly upset, 343 have delivered on everything BUT visible ranks and 2-4 player theatre mode.

From what I could gather, David Ellis basically said there won’t be a visible skill ranking system because having one apparently:

• Makes people focus on the number more than the game.

• Creates boosters and cheaters.

Both of these reasons are ultimately flawed however, as the number made people focus on the game (and winning it) even more and boosters and cheaters exist just as much with progression ranking.

It’s going to come back to bite them in the -Yoink-. Real quick.

> I’m bitterly upset, 343 have delivered on everything BUT visible ranks and 2-4 player theatre mode.

Could not have said this better myself. 100% how I feel about this game.

> Doesn’t look like there is one with what David Ellis was saying. They’re going to wish they added one when the game dies out and turns into Reach v2.

Agreed. So much agreed. This is extremely disappointing.

All playlists I believed will be “ranked”. There is still a skill tracking system in place and you will still be put in lobbies with people of similar skill, you just won’t be able to see a number next to your name (which shouldn’t be this big of a deal, but whatever, I am not going to tell someone how to enjoy the game, or hate it)

Matchmaking is based on a hidden TrueSkill rating system. There are no visible ranks next to your name (like in Halo 2).
Therefore, you’ll get matched with similarly skilled players, giving more competitive games.

A visible rank system, based on performance, simply encourages boosters/hacks, and (IMO), is basically a big ego-stroking ‘look at me’. It really isn’t needed at all.

Invisible ranks won’t work because people won’t take the game as seriously. If you’re playing a game and half the other team quits then you’re probably going to quit too if the game gets boring. Then you rank goes down and you’ll get matched with sucky kids. People are also more likely to betray you for power weapons and you’re more likely to get booted for accidental betrayals. In a (visible) ranked playlist most people have a pretty serious attitude and understand that they need their entire team to win.

I said this in a different thread a few days ago but I thought I should say it here too:

Before games could be played online people would play splitscreen against their friends (I’m thinking Goldeneye and Halo 1, heck even super smash bros) and everyone knew how good each other was so teams were usually pretty even. When you beat your friends you had a sense of satisfaction knowing you were better than them and you might even brag about it. That’s what a ranking system is. The sense of satisfaction knowing you are better than other players and the added satisfaction you get beating someone better than you. That’s what makes games fun. Its called being competitive. Casual players are competitive too. Nobody plays by themselves shooting at walls. That’s not fun. People want a challenge, and the closer skill level that challenger is to you the more fun it is.

They didn’t need to implement a 1-50. I would have been happy with any kind of ranking system.

> All playlists I believed will be “ranked”. There is still a skill tracking system in place and you will still be put in lobbies with people of similar skill, you just won’t be able to see a number next to your name <mark>(which shouldn’t be this big of a deal, but whatever, I am not going to tell someone how to enjoy the game, or hate it)</mark>

Thank you for being sensible sir !

There are officially no ranked playlists, everything is like reach with trueskill working in the background however 343 says it will be stricter in H4 than in reach. I think they’re making a mistake, but we’ll see.

A thread just got locked about this same topic, please don’t make any more.

I have a question: How does a visible skill based system encourage boosting anymore than a progression system? Considering a progression system requires no skill what-so-ever wouldn’t it be easier to boost XP in that sense?

> A thread just got locked about this same topic, please don’t make any more.

It was locked because of flame wars. If people remain civil there’s no reason to lock this.

> I have a question: How does a visible skill based system encourage boosting anymore than a progression system? Considering a progression system requires no skill what-so-ever wouldn’t it be easier to boost XP in that sense?

It’s easier and probably more common to see boosters in a progressive system.

[deleted]