So...I used the friend invite code...

I gave the code out to a friend. We’ve played through all the MCC on normal just for the story. This friend’s game history is CoD pretty much every day for the past two years. However Battlefield is their favorite game. This friend spends money on battle passes and extra cosmetics all the time. While playing the flight yesterday I recommended the weapon drills and the academy just like 343 recommends for new players. They enjoyed playing around with the weapons and messing with the bots.

Once the flight started we teamed up and played bot arena. They enjoyed it and I showed them how you could just wreck bots while standing in the middle on Bazaar and Recharge. They would get a score of 8-12 kills to 1-2 deaths (still having fun btw). I thought after two hours of this they would like to try PvP. We hopped into a CTF on Bazaar (which we played against bots) and we got wrecked just as bad if not worse than what we were doing to the bots.

After just that one game (which is a first impression for a new player) I listened to a rant about how much they HATED that one game. Lots of cussing, with a passionate speech about how they would NEVER buy the campaign or EVER play Halo PvP again. They proclaimed. They would NEVER buy a battle pass for a game where they couldn’t get a single kill. NOT ONE.

Of course this is the simple version of the rant. I had a hard time not telling them to just chill or just practice to get better but they were PISSED. They said they would rather play with all the hackers on CoD than ever play Halo again. I also had my kids try it and they felt pretty much the same if in a less raged out way.

So my question to the community and 343 is. What can be done? How do we get new players when we just crush their spirits so completely. Is it weapon tuning, TTK, is it highlight systems, equipment balancing?

Did anyone try to recruit any new players like I did? What was their experience?

> 2781911019823810;1:
> I gave the code out to a friend. We’ve played through all the MCC on normal just for the story. This friend’s game history is CoD pretty much every day for the past two years. However Battlefield is their favorite game. This friend spends money on battle passes and extra cosmetics all the time. While playing the flight yesterday I recommended the weapon drills and the academy just like 343 recommends for new players. They enjoyed playing around with the weapons and messing with the bots.
>
> Once the flight started we teamed up and played bot arena. They enjoyed it and I showed them how you could just wreck bots while standing in the middle on Bazaar and Recharge. They would get a score of 8-12 kills to 1-2 deaths (still having fun btw). I thought after two hours of this they would like to try PvP. We hopped into a CTF on Bazaar (which we played against bots) and we got wrecked just as bad if not worse than what we were doing to the bots.
>
> After just that one game (which is a first impression for a new player) I listened to a rant about how much they HATED that one game. Lots of cussing, with a passionate speech about how they would NEVER by the campaign or EVER play Halo PvP again. They proclaimed. They would NEVER buy a battle pass for a game where they could get a single kill. NOT ONE.
>
> Of course this is the simple version of the rant. I had a hard time not telling them to just chill or just practice to get better but they were PISSED. They said they would rather play with all the hackers on CoD than ever play Halo again. I also had my kids try it and they felt pretty much the same if in a less raged out way.
>
> So my question to the community and 343 is. What can be done? How do we get new players when we just crush their spirits so completely. Is it weapon tuning, TTK, is it highlight systems, equipment balancing?
>
> Did anyone try to recruit any new players like I did? What was their experience?

I find that if someone doesn’t like the game just let them be. Not everyone has to like Halo. You gave him the chance and he gave it a shot. Maybe that’s the best you could have done my friend :slight_smile:

I get what your saying, however everyone (343, microsoft, the community) wants this to be a success for mircosoft that means sales. For 343 that means job security. For us its good fun and/or a sweaty fix.
Have you worked in a restaurant and heard about good and bad customer experiences? Basically if someone goes to a restaurant and has a good time they tell one or two people. If they have a bad experience they tell everyone that will listen. That’s the power of word of mouth. My friend had a crap experience (even after a five campaign warm up along with weapon drill and bot fights) now he’ll tell everyone at work which will counter any good things I have to say. Also my (middle school) kids and his kids will tell their friends at school. This all generates negative buzz.
If more people keep having these negative experiences. Halo will loose customers. Even if the game is free they will not buy the battle pass.