So I spend all day making a forge map...

…and my friends come online. I’m all proud and want to show them this cool invasion map I’ve been working on for hours. I invite them to my Forge game, as I’m still in the session, and save the map so they can’t screw with it too bad.

Sure enough, they all start deleting and adding their own stuff because they have never used Forge before and have no idea what they are doing.

Next day I boot up the game to continue working on it and find that it saved all of their “edits.” That really sucked! I just gave up and didn’t bother with the map anymore.

Just wanted to vent. I’m sure some of you have experienced the same thing.

double post*

try rebooting the map up, when you get off and come back within 24 hours, the map you left is the map you get, so even if its there and ready to play, go search it in your local files and then load it.

Yeah, that’s incredibly stupid. Both that people are rude enough to trash your map like that, and that you don’t even have to hit ‘save’ for your map changes to take permanent effect.

Score another for Bungie.

The same thing has happened to me a few times. I would completely load up a different map, and then go back and load the one you were working on.

I know, this sucks, but from my experiance as i forge a lot (until my xbox broke) is NEVER let anyone join your forge games, and always back up your best games as well (save 2 different versions), reach has this dumb glitch where sometimes it corrupts your files. It’s rare but it does happen. If you are to invite friends, which i normally don’t do until it’s in beta, (ready for player testing and usable in custom games), only invite friends who are decent forger’s, and respect your map, and also keep it limited to one or two friends at a time so you can keep track of them, and be very clear on what you want them to do or NOT do.

-Always back up your maps.
-Keep friend invites to forge at a minimum.

Best of luck in the future!

Best way to prevent this from happening again is to set the party to invite only, you can do this by going to the right at the playerlist and scrolling to the top where you can set the max amount of players and the party privacy, you can also go above the start game option and change it.

Wow. Hope it all ends up well in the end, even if it means a redo is necessary.

Reminds me of a forge war we had once.

One of my “friends” on XBL got all ticked off and dramatic b/c my sister killed him. He, after another one of my friends had been building a U.S. Ocean Carrier, took out his revenge by deleting every giant wall on the map.

So much time wasted. :frowning:

Felt bad for my friend. I should’ve kicked the other guy now that I think about it.

Helpful tip for EVERY forger:

Forge alone, or be POSITIVE the people sharing your map will not destroy it.

> Helpful tip for EVERY forger:
>
>
> Forge alone, or pay the price.

Fixed. And I’m NOT kidding. =)

> Next day I boot up the game to continue working on it and find that it saved all of their “edits.” That really sucked! I just gave up and didn’t bother with the map anymore.

No, it most certainly did not. Not if you’re having the problem I think you are. You may be able to recover your map prior to the changes your “friends” made.

Reselect it in the File Browser.

No, seriously. When you exit a map in Forge, even if you did not save, the alterations are autosaved into your Temporary History. The changes aren’t persistent on the hard drive; the copy of the map that exists in Local Files is unaltered. Reselect the map directly using the File Browser, and then open it in Forge. It should be undamaged.

I think you just need to wait a while… sometimes when I do stuff in Forgeworld, and I delete the beginning spawns, then leave. The next time I come on they might still be deleted. I usually just have to wait though…