So I have been watching the Halo 5 cutscenes...

As I do not own an Xbox One and therefore cannot play Halo 5 to make my own conclusions on the game’s campaign, I have started watching a video on YouTube that combines all cutscenes, including some gameplay and the Legendary ending. I’m only 42 minutes through the 2 and a half hour video, but I wish to present some of my thoughts on it so far (I will make another comment in this thread once I’ve finished watching it). Please note that I may present spoilers, for those who haven’t played or watched the game.

PART ONE

As someone who has only read some novels and has played CE, H2, H3, Reach, and half of H4, the beginning of the campaign completely lost me. I’ve heard that Jameson Locke was first introduced in a movie, one that I never looked into due to not being interested, so that already set me up for feeling disconnected. Locke and his team are being briefed on their mission to rescue Halsey, but it only brings up more questions for me: How did Halsey get there? Who is Jul 'Mdama, a character only introduced in comics, books, and optional game modes in H4? Why is Fireteam Osiris specifically chosen for this mission? They could have easily chosen Blue Team to do the job, and it would be more meaningful, seeing as how MC and his team were intimately involved with Halsey from day one. Osiris seems to have no connection to this mission beyond just so happening to be highly skilled, even though they are not from the original Spartan programs (S-IV, correct?).

Then Osiris jump out of the ship in one dizzying and visually impressive scene. But all it does is show they are bad–Yoink-, and comes off as more of a showing-off move by 343i’s storytellers. I doubt this team could come close to matching a Spartan-II, in the end. They haven’t nearly had the same level of augmentation or training, and yet they kick all kinds of -Yoink- as if they were early-gen Spartans. Color me unimpressed.

In the gameplay that follows, suddenly Prometheans can speak English, and cry out like a sentient lifeform when they are killed. From my experiences in Halo 4, there was no such characterization, so this was slightly off-putting for me. Also, I hear pronunciations of words and names that I wasn’t even aware of. “Jameson” is pronounced “Jam-e-son”, where I always thought it would be “Jame-son”. shrug Not a big deal. Then “Sangheilli”, the first time I personally have ever heard the name spoken, is “Sang-Hee-lee”. Tiny nitpicks, I know, but I always thought it was “San-gelli”, personally. Again, super minor point, but was jarring the first time I heard these names/words articulated in a different way than I thought they’d be.

Moving on, Osiris finally reaches Halsey. Jul 'Mdama, the leader of the Covenant Remnant, then gets killed in a cutscene by Locke. Not very climatic, especially being at the beginning of the game. A character I really knew nothing about has died before I could get to know him. Ah well. After Halsey’s rescue, they go back to the Infinity and nothing really happens there.

Switch over to Blue Team. Now, I had many questions: How did Master Chief reunite with his team? When? Why are they suddenly together after MC has been acting lone-wolf for the past four main-title video games? Zero explanations for any of this are given. I did like the moment where Chief’s hand lingers over the port in his helmet where Cortana’s chip would have gone; it reminds you of what occurred at the end of Halo 4. Then the members of Blue Team speak. Now, I’ve read part of The Fall of Reach, and have read First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx, so I am aware of these characters. However, I feel that Linda and Kelly’s voices were…off. One, I never ever imagined Kelly being British. Not once. I never saw any evidence for such a background. Second, both women sound too young to be in a team alongside the Master Chief. Fred (who they keep calling “Frederic” in dialogue, even though he’s always been called “Fred” before) sounds, voice-wise, about the same age as Chief. Technically, shouldn’t all four members be about the same age, since they were all part of the S-II program? I guess this is yet another minor nitpick.

Their mission is involving a ship called Argent Moon that has been taken over by Covenant. Ok. Why? What’s so special about it, beyond a secret stealth ship being developed inside? No explanation is given, and, like Team Osiris’ mission, feels very disconnected from Halo 4. As they go about their mission, Master Chief suddenly has a freaky, twisted vision where he hears Cortana’s voice in a rocky cave and then sees her and hears her speak about Meridian and Reclamation and a large object rises out of the ground (the Guardians, I know, as I’ve read enough of the game’s plot and comments here in the forums). Okay, that was nifty and surreal, but…we are only in the second level, and 343i suddenly decides to give a hint that Cortana may not have died in H4. Way to overturn the last moments of H4’s campaign. If they were going to do this at all, they should have at least done that much later in the campaign.

So they escape, and we are now back on the Infinity, with Lasky and Palmer talking about Chief disobeying the order to return to the ship. A very short scene, and in it the Infinity’s AI, Roland, is shown. Ok…so he is a solid orange hologram who looks like he’s straight out of WWII, or maybe a Tuskegee Airman (can’t tell what ethnicity he’s supposed to be, being orange). I am sorry, but I just find some of the representations of AI in the books and games ridiculous at this point. I wouldn’t be able to take an AI who looks like a WWII pilot or a Native American, or a bearded wintry old man seriously on any military ship/installation. Roland also looked very cheap, with no transparency of any kind, and no scrolling effects over his projection like Cortana used to have. I get that he’s not a “smart” AI like Cortana is, but…seriously… yawn

Back to Osiris. They go to Meridian since they were told Blue Team went there. They save the civilians and find out the mayor is an AI and discover where on the planet Blue Team has gone.

(I apologize if most of this was nit-picky, but I am beginning to see where people have had complaints about the campaign, and how it disconnects from Halo 4)

END OF PART ONE - to be continued

First off, if you only played half of Halo 4, you deserve not to know what is going on in Halo 5.

Also, while there is a lot of confusion that surrounds Dr Halsey, and by extension Jul 'Mdama, if you were this interested in the story, you would have finished Halo 4 and played Spartan Ops. I know you mentioned that it was optional, but so is playing any of the games. Spartan Ops is the closest thing to spoon fed story you can get.

Also you mention that you have only read part of the relevant books containing Blue Team, then have the audacity to question why Chief was on his own during CE to 4?

The more I read you post, the more it annoys me.
Please, if you are going to come to the forums and nit pick the story of the games to such a degree, at least put the effort in to finishing off the extended universe material you started.

I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.

Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.

Edit: I’m just as lost with 343s direction*. I understand it of course from a literal standpoint, I just don’t think the Halo 5 story is very good. So many great building opportunities left untouched from Halo 4 & the Halo universe in general.

Overall I do agree that 343 has stepped up the Halo Universe / Lore pre-H5 compared to Bungie.

> 2533274810945725;2:
> First off, if you only played half of Halo 4, you deserve not to know what is going on in Halo 5.

I may not have finished the campaign in H4, but I have looked into the general plot points (since I am so far behind anyway; and I don’t mind having things spoiled for myself at this point, honestly), so I am aware of what happens, and how there is a time gap between the two games.

But, seriously, this comment right here comes off as a mindset of being superior, but that’s just my take on it. Not everyone is able to play the games right upon launch, or have the time to finish in a speedy manner. I bought Halo 4 for Xbox 360 when I saw it cheap pre-owned, so it was as good a moment as any to try it out. And now i have a full-time job with little time to get much video game progress, so of course I am even further behind. I am liking Halo 4’s campaign so far, but Halo 5 already is jarring. I’ve been around since Halo: CE and H5 isn’t impressing me yet, story-wise.

shrug

> 2533274804898926;3:
> I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.
>
> Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.

Yeah, I hear most people who like Halo 5 actually like the multiplayer aspect and general gameplay, but the story is a contentious subject, with plenty of arguments here in the forums about it.

When I watch the rest of the cutscenes, I will continue my review in this thread. I really am trying to watch it without any bias.

> 2533274887950450;5:
> > 2533274804898926;3:
> > I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.
> >
> > Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.
>
>
> Yeah, I hear most people who like Halo 5 actually like the multiplayer aspect and general gameplay, but the story is a contentious subject, with plenty of arguments here in the forums about it.
>
> When I watch the rest of the cutscenes, I will continue my review in this thread. I really am trying to watch it without any bias.

Well the Halo story line is way complex and some what difficult to comprehend at times. It would be tough to under stand Halo right now if you only played half of 4 and didn’t even do Spartan ops or watch it’s cut scenes not to mention not having played H5 you don’t hear the conversions and probably haven’t heard the data pads… there is so much to the Halo story. I feel I have a good understanding but also realize I have more to learn about it.

> 2533274816788253;6:
> > 2533274887950450;5:
> > > 2533274804898926;3:
> > > I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.
> >
> >
> > Yeah, I hear most people who like Halo 5 actually like the multiplayer aspect and general gameplay, but the story is a contentious subject, with plenty of arguments here in the forums about it.
> >
> > When I watch the rest of the cutscenes, I will continue my review in this thread. I really am trying to watch it without any bias.
>
>
> Well the Halo story line is way complex and some what difficult to comprehend at times. It would be tough to under stand Halo right now if you only played half of 4 and didn’t even do Spartan ops or watch it’s cut scenes not to mention not having played H5 you don’t hear the conversions and probably haven’t heard the data pads… there is so much to the Halo story. I feel I have a good understanding but also realize I have more to learn about it.

I just don’t think that one must read books and comics and watch videos and listen to Podcasts in order to understand what the heck is going on in the next main-title game of the series. I was able to play Halo: CE, H2, and H3 with no problems whatsoever, but I could go and read things for more information if I wanted to, not because I had to. Lore is great, but it’s not smart to balance the main story on something so large. Take a look at The Lord of the Rings: It has a large backstory and very deep lore, but none of that is essential to understand and enjoy the book’s story - Tolkien does a great job of summarizing relevant events from extra material and The Hobbit, so a newcomer has no issues.

> 2533274887950450;7:
> > 2533274816788253;6:
> > > 2533274887950450;5:
> > > > 2533274804898926;3:
> > > > I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah, I hear most people who like Halo 5 actually like the multiplayer aspect and general gameplay, but the story is a contentious subject, with plenty of arguments here in the forums about it.
> > >
> > > When I watch the rest of the cutscenes, I will continue my review in this thread. I really am trying to watch it without any bias.
> >
> >
> > Well the Halo story line is way complex and some what difficult to comprehend at times. It would be tough to under stand Halo right now if you only played half of 4 and didn’t even do Spartan ops or watch it’s cut scenes not to mention not having played H5 you don’t hear the conversions and probably haven’t heard the data pads… there is so much to the Halo story. I feel I have a good understanding but also realize I have more to learn about it.
>
>
> I just don’t think that one must read books and comics and watch videos and listen to Podcasts in order to understand what the heck is going on in the next main-title game of the series. I was able to play Halo: CE, H2, and H3 with no problems whatsoever, but I could go and read things for more information if I wanted to, not because I had to. Lore is great, but it’s not smart to balance the main story on something so large. Take a look at The Lord of the Rings: It has a large backstory and very deep lore, but none of that is essential to understand and enjoy the book’s story - Tolkien does a great job of summarizing relevant events from extra material and The Hobbit, so a newcomer has no issues.

Halo started as a book though. 343 does better at trying to tell a deeper story in their games that leads you to want to find out more information. Bungie never really did they IMO. I like going outside the games themselves to get more story.

> 2533274816788253;8:
> > 2533274887950450;7:
> > > 2533274816788253;6:
> > > > 2533274887950450;5:
> > > > > 2533274804898926;3:
> > > > > I don’t think you’re being nit-picky at all. I have read the books, played all the games, listened to hunt the truth and watched most if not all Halo digital content… I’m just as lost as you.
> > > > >
> > > > > Halo 5 is a fun game, but the story just didn’t pull off the Halo 4 set up or other Halo content well at all.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yeah, I hear most people who like Halo 5 actually like the multiplayer aspect and general gameplay, but the story is a contentious subject, with plenty of arguments here in the forums about it.
> > > >
> > > > When I watch the rest of the cutscenes, I will continue my review in this thread. I really am trying to watch it without any bias.
> > >
> > >
> > > Well the Halo story line is way complex and some what difficult to comprehend at times. It would be tough to under stand Halo right now if you only played half of 4 and didn’t even do Spartan ops or watch it’s cut scenes not to mention not having played H5 you don’t hear the conversions and probably haven’t heard the data pads… there is so much to the Halo story. I feel I have a good understanding but also realize I have more to learn about it.
> >
> >
> > I just don’t think that one must read books and comics and watch videos and listen to Podcasts in order to understand what the heck is going on in the next main-title game of the series. I was able to play Halo: CE, H2, and H3 with no problems whatsoever, but I could go and read things for more information if I wanted to, not because I had to. Lore is great, but it’s not smart to balance the main story on something so large. Take a look at The Lord of the Rings: It has a large backstory and very deep lore, but none of that is essential to understand and enjoy the book’s story - Tolkien does a great job of summarizing relevant events from extra material and The Hobbit, so a newcomer has no issues.
>
>
> Halo started as a book though. 343 does better at trying to tell a deeper story in their games that leads you to want to find out more information. Bungie never really did they IMO. I like going outside the games themselves to get more story.

Well, we don’t need to read The Fall of Reach in order to understand Halo: CE’s plot.

Everyone’s different, of course. I would like the feeling of wanting to find out more, not feeling like I need to find out more. It should be optional, in my opinion.

Locke was introduced in Halo MCC with a couple cutscenes. Next they released Nightfall which is not to bad to watch. Only 5 episodes about 40 minutes a pieces. Jul and Halsey current location was introduced in Spartan Ops back in halo 4. with all this, Halo 5 is not a game that allows you to pick up and play without understand what has happen in the past which makes me feel uneasy about it all. All the other halos have had the start to finish part of it cleared up in the game by itself. If it was not for the number coming off of it, you would not me lost in the story at all. But with halo 5, you have had to play halo 4 in order to understand a decent amount of it. I was still confused on how one thing lead to another with it

I don’t think it is fair for you to expect to understand what is going on when you haven’t even played through the entire Halo 4 Campaign. Also, Spartan Ops wasn’t anymore optional than any of the other game modes. Having said that, finishing Halo 4 and Spartan Ops would not have helped your understanding all that much. Since Halo 4, the story has relied heavily on the extended universe. As someone who only plays the games, this makes it difficult to follow and feel immersed in the game.

Yikes man, before this post you should of just done your research. It is very interesting the halo story. Halo escalation the comic series that follows the end of halo 4 is where you can find some background about halo5 and how it starts.

Yeah, buddy when you didn’t even finish Halo 4’s story and Spartan Ops (billed as a second campaign and heavily promoted as a continuation of the story), I don’t think that is unreasonable for you to have known what happened with those stories before critiquing Halo 5.

> 2533274887950450;4:
> > 2533274810945725;2:
> > First off, if you only played half of Halo 4, you deserve not to know what is going on in Halo 5.
>
>
> I may not have finished the campaign in H4, but I have looked into the general plot points (since I am so far behind anyway; and I don’t mind having things spoiled for myself at this point, honestly), so I am aware of what happens, and how there is a time gap between the two games.
>
> But, seriously, this comment right here comes off as a mindset of being superior, but that’s just my take on it. Not everyone is able to play the games right upon launch, or have the time to finish in a speedy manner. I bought Halo 4 for Xbox 360 when I saw it cheap pre-owned, so it was as good a moment as any to try it out. And now i have a full-time job with little time to get much video game progress, so of course I am even further behind. I am liking Halo 4’s campaign so far, but Halo 5 already is jarring. I’ve been around since Halo: CE and H5 isn’t impressing me yet, story-wise.
>
> shrug

halo spartan ops, play it.

You need to play Halo 4 spartan ops to get the beginning of Halo 5`s campaign.

You can also read Halo: Escalations to find out what happens after H4 to H5.

> 2533274887950450;1:
> Osiris seems to have no connection to this mission beyond just so happening to be highly skilled, even though they are not from the original Spartan programs (S-IV, correct?).
>
> Then Osiris jump out of the ship in one dizzying and visually impressive scene. But all it does is show they are bad–Yoink-, and comes off as more of a showing-off move by 343i’s storytellers. I doubt this team could come close to matching a Spartan-II, in the end. They haven’t nearly had the same level of augmentation or training, and yet they kick all kinds of -Yoink- as if they were early-gen Spartans. Color me unimpressed.

Spartan IV’s in GEN II armor have been said to be on-par with Spartan II’s.

Reading people’s comments so far, I’m under the impression that, if I don’t feel up for reading books, comics, and playing extra games that don’t interest me, which I also don’t have the time for, that I am not allowed to form my own opinion on the story of Halo 5. What if someone was coming into the Halo series fro the first time, with no prior knowledge of past events, starting with Halo 5? Would they not be allowed to express whether they like or dislike the way Halo 5’s story is handled? I consider myself to be a Halo “veteran” in the sense that I was into Halo since Combat Evolved, in 2001. I may not have read or watched eevry extra thing that was released for the series, but I liked what I saw in CE, H2, and H3. And I still stand firm that extraneous material needs to be optional, not mandatory - in the way 343i is setting up the lore, it could easily alienate people. And, honestly, I was wanting to watch the cutscenes because I wanted to form my own personal opinion on the story after hearing what everyone was saying about it. I also don’t see myself buying an Xbox One anywhere in the near future, for personal reasons.

Sigh Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Whether people like it or not, I’m going to write the rest of my “review” when I’ve finished watching the cutscenes.

> 2533274973681092;17:
> > 2533274887950450;1:
> > Osiris seems to have no connection to this mission beyond just so happening to be highly skilled, even though they are not from the original Spartan programs (S-IV, correct?).
> >
> > Then Osiris jump out of the ship in one dizzying and visually impressive scene. But all it does is show they are bad–Yoink-, and comes off as more of a showing-off move by 343i’s storytellers. I doubt this team could come close to matching a Spartan-II, in the end. They haven’t nearly had the same level of augmentation or training, and yet they kick all kinds of -Yoink- as if they were early-gen Spartans. Color me unimpressed.
>
>
> Spartan IV’s in GEN II armor have been said to be on-par with Spartan II’s.

But do S-IVs have the strength and training to be worthy of it? Just an honest question, really, no attack whatsoever.

I’m sort of on the same page as OP, here. I’ve played every halo title (except Spartan Assault 2, or whatever it’s called). And yet, going from Halo 4 to 5, I would have been lost plot wise if I hadn’t quickly tried to absorb all the extra lore that was scattered through the various mediums.

There is a rather large disconnect between Halo 4 and 5. You shouldn’t have to read all of the extra -Yoink- just to stay in the loop. The expanded lore is supposed to be for fleshing out the series.

I didn’t need to read the novels or watch extra videos to understand the progression from Halo 1-4… but now all of a sudden I do. And what made it worse with Halo 5’s campaign was how it unappealing drew some of those story arcs together or completely dropped others.

Janus key, anyone?