So How Much Of Halo 4 Did 343 Actually Make?

So apparently… 343 didn’t make the Crimson Map Pack, but Certain Affinity did. and apparently Certain Affinity didn’t make the map pack either… Digital Extreme did.

Oh but apparently Certain Affinity made the Forge… Oh and Certain Affinity also created a number of on-disc multiplayer maps and the Dominion gametype.

and 343 never made any of the CGI stuff… Axis Animation did

Didn’t Bungie also basically pitch and give ideas for Prometheans as well?

Oh and Halo 4 runs on a modified Reach engine… so 343 didn’t even have to make a brand new engine, just edit and modify an existing one to their needs…

So… what exactly did 343 make in their 5 or so years of Development for Halo 4?

First of all, the game was made in over 3 years, not 5. Secondly, they created most of the multiplayer, the maps, the single player, Spartan Ops, and the whole game engine. And no, Bungie did not have anything to do with the game at all, the Prometheans were 343’s idea.

Sure, they got a little bit of help here and there, but 90% of the game is theirs.

Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.

> First of all, the game was made in over 3 years, not 5. Secondly, they created most of the multiplayer, the maps, the single player, Spartan Ops, and the whole game engine. And no, Bungie did not have anything to do with the game at all, the Prometheans were 343’s idea.
>
> Sure, they got a little bit of help here and there, but 90% of the game is theirs.

Sources? He just explained that the CGI, maps and forge were made by different companies how’d you come up with 90% of the game being made by 343?

> Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.

Yes, and Reach’s engine is Halo 3’s engine, just very modified, which is Halo 2’s engine, which is Halo 1’s engine. And I’m pretty sure that 343 Industries stated quite a while ago that they were the ones making the multiplayer maps to see what their guys could do, and Certain Affinity on the Forge aspect of the game. I could be wrong about the maps thing though.

Da -Yoink- cares?

> Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.

Forgot about that. They didn’t even have to completely make the engine, just use Bungie’s Engine and change/edit it to their liking.

Also, didn’t 343 claim this game was in development since 2007? Or did I just mess that up?

And you know what I noticed? (IMO) Halo 4 is the best shooter that I have played to date, it surpasses Halo 3, Halo 2, (Didn’t get to try it out online…), and Halo: CE. Instead of one team focusing on everything, thus having to deleting a lot of content due to time constraints, we had a complete masterpiece.

Does it have issues? Yes, of course it does. But for it being the first 343i game, it is pretty darn good one.

> > Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.
>
> Yes, and Reach’s engine is Halo 3’s engine, just very modified, which is Halo 2’s engine, which is Halo 1’s engine. And I’m pretty sure that 343 Industries stated quite a while ago that they were the ones making the multiplayer maps to see what their guys could do, and Certain Affinity on the Forge aspect of the game. I could be wrong about the maps thing though.

Sorry to disagree with you, but… Bungie built Reach’s engine from the ground up. They did not just re-use Halo 3’s. This was due to the fact that the H3 engine couldn’t support the graphics they wanted or the AI they made for Reach either. So Reach’s engine was brand spanking new. 343i took that engine and used it for Halo 4. If they had tried to use the H3 engine for Reach/ H4 it wouldn’t have worked cuz it couldn’t support the dynamic lighing, particle effects etc.

> > Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.
>
> Yes, and Reach’s engine is Halo 3’s engine, just very modified, which is Halo 2’s engine, which is Halo 1’s engine. And I’m pretty sure that 343 Industries stated quite a while ago that they were the ones making the multiplayer maps to see what their guys could do, and Certain Affinity on the Forge aspect of the game. I could be wrong about the maps thing though.

No, you’re wrong about the engine tech.

Halo:CE had it’s own engine. 2 had the entire code rewritten and reworked from scratch, it didn’t rely on CE. It too, had a new engine.

Halo 3 ran on a heavily modified Halo 2 engine, it wasn’t built from the ground-up.
Reach was completely rewritten from scratch and again, had a new engine.

Halo 4 however, is running on a heavily modified-reach engine, it has significant changes, but the engine is still Reach.

Don’t twist it, this isn’t an opinion, these are facts. Every Halo game except Halo 3 and Halo 4 have had new engines, that’s not a dig at the games, they both look(ed) gorgeous regardless, it’s just a fact.

>
> Forgot about that. They didn’t even have to completely make the engine, just use Bungie’s Engine and change/edit it to their liking.
>
> Also, didn’t 343 claim this game was in development since 2007? Or did I just mess that up?

Technically it’s been in the development process since 2009 but in 2008 they started to pitch ideas.

Excellent post by OP… If you ask me 343 spent more time taking things out than putting in…

Take out game types
take out customs options
take out fine tuning in forge
take out medals
take out it saying who killed you and how unless there is a kill cam

don’t even get me started on kill cams… such a disgrace to the franchise. I can see a final kill cam but these laggy, inaccurate kills cams are embarrassing.

So Certain Affinity ruined Halo multiplayer?

> > > Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.
> >
> > Yes, and Reach’s engine is Halo 3’s engine, just very modified, which is Halo 2’s engine, which is Halo 1’s engine. And I’m pretty sure that 343 Industries stated quite a while ago that they were the ones making the multiplayer maps to see what their guys could do, and Certain Affinity on the Forge aspect of the game. I could be wrong about the maps thing though.
>
> No, you’re wrong about the engine tech.
>
> Halo:CE had it’s own engine. 2 had the entire code rewritten and reworked from scratch, it didn’t rely on CE. It too, had a new engine.
>
> Halo 3 ran on a heavily modified Halo 2 engine, it wasn’t built from the ground-up.
> Reach was completely rewritten from scratch and again, had a new engine.
>
> Halo 4 however, is running on a heavily modified-reach engine, it has significant changes, but the engine is still Reach.
>
> Don’t twist it, this isn’t an opinion, these are facts. Every Halo game except Halo 3 and Halo 4 have had new engines, that’s not a dig at the games, they both look(ed) gorgeous regardless, it’s just a fact.

Actually YOU are the one who is wrong, the Halo 2 engine was originally the Halo 1 engine before being completely revamped. Same goes with Reach and 3. Literally every engine is a modified version of the previous.

Who cares about engines? E.g., there’re hundreds of games with Unreal game engine and Havok physics engine. They still differ drastically.

Halo CEA was made mostly by Saber Interactive. Not sure how big 343i’s part is in Halo 4.

>
> So Certain Affinity ruined Halo multiplayer?

Depends. Are you a user who thinks the multiplayer is ruined because of the maps, or the new gameplay style/changes.

If just the maps, blame Certain Affinity.

If changes/new gameplay, blame 343.

If both, blame both.

>
> So Certain Affinity ruined Halo multiplayer?

I wouldn’t say Certain Affinity ruined Halo multiplayer. They, like most companies making MP maps these days, don’t know how to make good maps. That is a lost art that I doubt the industry is ever going to re-learn.

As with all things, there should have been a long process of asking questings and looking at every way players could break/mis-use the ideas/abilities in H4. That seems like it did not happen. It doesn’t take to much thought to realize that active camo, jetpack, tons of power weapons on maps, sprint by default etc etc etc just end up diluting the Halo experience both in campaign and mp. Not to mention it’s almost glaringly obvious that if these things are given to players in the mp space they will get abused.

Each time they developed a new halo game the engine received a major overhaul.

its like opening up a computer and putting in new processors,ram chips hard drive etc. and only keeping the casing and your going to tell me its exactly the same as before.

its like taking the yolk out of an egg and putting a new yolk in the egg shell

> > > > Actually the game’s engine is Reach’s engine… just very modified. Certain Affinity made almost all of the MP maps.
> > >
> > > Yes, and Reach’s engine is Halo 3’s engine, just very modified, which is Halo 2’s engine, which is Halo 1’s engine. And I’m pretty sure that 343 Industries stated quite a while ago that they were the ones making the multiplayer maps to see what their guys could do, and Certain Affinity on the Forge aspect of the game. I could be wrong about the maps thing though.
> >
> > No, you’re wrong about the engine tech.
> >
> > Halo:CE had it’s own engine. 2 had the entire code rewritten and reworked from scratch, it didn’t rely on CE. It too, had a new engine.
> >
> > Halo 3 ran on a heavily modified Halo 2 engine, it wasn’t built from the ground-up.
> > Reach was completely rewritten from scratch and again, had a new engine.
> >
> > Halo 4 however, is running on a heavily modified-reach engine, it has significant changes, but the engine is still Reach.
> >
> > Don’t twist it, this isn’t an opinion, these are facts. Every Halo game except Halo 3 and Halo 4 have had new engines, that’s not a dig at the games, they both look(ed) gorgeous regardless, it’s just a fact.
>
> Actually YOU are the one who is wrong, the Halo 2 engine was originally the Halo 1 engine before being completely revamped. Same goes with Reach and 3. Literally every engine is a modified version of the previous.

My source is Bungie. Halo 2 took the CE engine and started completely from scratch, because the original engine couldn’t handle bump maps and other processes Halo 2 was pushing. Hence, it’s a new engine.

Halo 2’s engine supported the processes Bungie wanted for Halo 3, so they didn’t reskin it, however it didn’t support object based motion blur and couldn’t be optimised further, so for Reach, they started from scratch and built a new engine.

The Reach engine supported the new lighting system and things 343i used in Halo 4, so it didn’t need a reskin. NONE of the engines support DX11, I guarantee next gen, if Halo 5 uses DX11, it will definitely have a new engine.

You’re wrong mate, I get my info from Bungie. There’s even a Vidoc where they say that they started Reach FROM SCRATCH.

At best, you can have remnants of code from the older engines, but if you use the foundations of an old engine for your game, no matter how many times you revamp it, you won’t be able to support or optimise certain processes, such as DX11.

I knew this but for everyone else… certain affinity explains why overall multiplayer enviroment graphics and details look atrocious just look at the graphical complaints about halo reach dlc such as highlands