So how famous is John 117?

In Halo 2 we see cameras taking pictures of his award ceremony, that’s all we really see of the media in Halo. So how famous is he and the other Spartans for that matter?

Because of the “Believe” campaign, I have to believe (pun not intended) he’s considered a hero to humanity, and a legend to all species. When you save the galaxy 3-4 times, people tend to know about you.

Well the IIs were used heavily as propaganda to boost morale late in the 2540s I believe. The IIIs were top secret and didn’t get to share in that fame as is mentioned in the hell hunters short story.

How famous individual Spartans are? I’m not sure. I doubt ONI would release personal information on them as that could have led to backlash.

The media in Halo 2 were probably more interested in the fact that he was a Spartan and less about him personally.

Chief only really got personal recognition post h3 by the believe campaign, its not entirely clear how long after it that was though that he started getting some personal recognition.

In h4 a number of people do seem to know of chief’s history as well as having worked alongside blue team. Its not clear how much the public knows in comparison though.

Before Believe its more likely the public just knows him as a Spartan super soldier of the UNSC, along with the rest.

If they were more individually famous I think there would have been more mentions of dodged press events and the like, as well as probably an attempt by ONI/UNSC to give each spartan a more unique look in order for people to idolize them better. Its important to notice the marines in h3 on the second level just point him out as a Spartan, not master chief.

In Halo 2-3, Chief did tend to get some recognition, but when the Halo 4 campaign rolled around, I didn’t believe he got much hype. I mean, that Crimson guy you play as got more kudos than him. And ONI’s has some diabolical plot to replace John (or at least that’s what I think).

But like Varmah said:

> When you save the galaxy 3-4 times, people tend to know about you.

> Because of the “Believe” campaign, I have to believe (pun not intended) he’s considered a hero to humanity, and a legend to all species. When you save the galaxy 3-4 times, people tend to know about you.

Funny that you’re using…a non-canon example! Nothing from the Believe marketing campaign is canon besides the Museum of Humanity.

Among the military, he is without a doubt a legend. In Halo 4, the friendly AI gawk at you in awe whenever you walk by them. Sarah Palmer’s reaction of “I thought you’d be taller” shows us that she knows who he is, and heard of all of his accomplishments. Even in the Kilo-Five trilogy, John is regarded as a hero.

As for the public? I cannot say, though it’s a safe bet to assume that he’s at least known by what he is, if not by who he is.

All Spartan-IIs are famous but more as an organistation, an ideal, rather than as an indvidual.

John is the exception to this. As people have said when you save the entire a galaxy a couple of times people start to pay attention. A legend even among legends, people might not necessarily recognise him on sight beyond recognising a Spartan but they will definitely know his name and reputation.

> In Halo 2-3, Chief did tend to get some recognition, but when the Halo 4 campaign rolled around, I didn’t believe he got much hype.
[/quote]
You mean like a whole ship ignoring its captain’s orders to arrest him?

Very. He’s given the spot light as the Master Chief. Petra even boosted his publicity.

> > Because of the “Believe” campaign, I have to believe (pun not intended) he’s considered a hero to humanity, and a legend to all species. When you save the galaxy 3-4 times, people tend to know about you.
>
> Funny that you’re using…a non-canon example! Nothing from the Believe marketing campaign is canon besides the Museum of Humanity.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Oops.

Regardless, I’m still gonna assume Chief’s a big deal to a lot of people.

Well he certainly got the Didacts attention…

> Well the IIs were used heavily as propaganda to boost morale late in the 2540s I believe. <mark>The IIIs were top secret and didn’t get to share in that fame as is mentioned in the hell hunters short story.</mark>
>
> How famous individual Spartans are? I’m not sure. I doubt ONI would release personal information on them as that could have led to backlash.
>
> The media in Halo 2 were probably more interested in the fact that he was a Spartan and less about him personally.

So do the Spartan 4s know they’re 4s or do they think they’re Spartan 3s?

> > Well the IIs were used heavily as propaganda to boost morale late in the 2540s I believe. <mark>The IIIs were top secret and didn’t get to share in that fame as is mentioned in the hell hunters short story.</mark>
> >
> > How famous individual Spartans are? I’m not sure. I doubt ONI would release personal information on them as that could have led to backlash.
> >
> > The media in Halo 2 were probably more interested in the fact that he was a Spartan and less about him personally.
>
> So do the Spartan 4s know they’re 4s or do they think they’re Spartan 3s?

Petra Janeck said “My stories made that man a hero. Okay he made himself a hero, but no one was ever going to know that.”

ONI seems to have been disclosing information on Spartans. And they know they’re IVs. There are still a lot of stories.

“little Spartan history there is… but when I try to fond where 117 came from, there’s nothing… it’s almost as hard to piece the story of the Spartan-11s… us, though, the Spartan-IVs — were as official as can be.”
― Gabriel Thorne

> “little Spartan history there is… but when I try to fond where 117 came from, there’s nothing… it’s almost as hard to piece the story of the Spartan-11s… us, though, the Spartan-IVs — were as official as can be.”
> ― Gabriel Thorne

I forgot about this. It’s in the LE box, isn’t it. I gotta read through all that stuff again. Maybe flip through Halsey’s journal, too, to see if there is anything worth gleaning that could have a definitive connection with H5:G…

Also, in Ghosts of Onyx, I know Kurt has a wall full of newspaper clippings of the Spartans. I don’t remember, but I swear he had some that were specifically of John.

Ever get that dialog in Halo 4 from a marine who says [paraphrasing here] “Wow, you’re a hero back on Earth! My kid’s got a poster of you on his wall.”

> Ever get that dialog in Halo 4 from a marine who says [paraphrasing here] “Wow, you’re a hero back on Earth! My kid’s got a poster of you on his wall.”

Holographic action figures.

> Ever get that dialog in Halo 4 from a marine who says [paraphrasing here] “Wow, you’re a hero back on Earth! My kid’s got a poster of you on his wall.”

>defeats an alien empire
>defeats an evil parasitic threat
>gets a poster in recognition

[deleted]

> > Ever get that dialog in Halo 4 from a marine who says [paraphrasing here] “Wow, you’re a hero back on Earth! My kid’s got a poster of you on his wall.”
>
> A scientist on Composer said something like “I read a book all about you!” as well.

I wonder how much of this book is Fiction(within the halo universe)

Fiction within the Halo Universe always interested me. Halo Legends Odd one out could of been propaganda to say Spartans are nothing without the support of normal humans. Done in a cartoon/anime way so kids wont know they are being brainwashed. Mentioning a key Figure like Master Chief in it so he is still looked up as awesome and so kids know the name of a real hero. I admit I would of watched that show, would of made me wanna be a spartan and think Master Chief is awesome.

Saying that, is there Spartan Animes and cartoons in the Halo universe.