So how are Spartan 4's possibly as fast as 2's?

Looking over the augmentation procedures, it should be impossible.

I can understand having the same strength and maximum running speed, due to the GEN 2 armour, but how on earth can Spartan 4’s possibly have the same REACTION TIME as Spartan 2’s?
Look at this augmentation procedure that 2’s undergo…

Superconducting Fibrification of Neural Dendrites
Alteration of bioeletrical nerve transduction to shielded electronic transduction. 300% increase in subject reflexes. Anecdotal evidence of marked increase in intelligence, memory, and creativity

Now here is the effect of that enhancement, from the books: A SPARTAN-II’s reaction time, while impossible to chart accurately, is estimated to be twenty milliseconds. Their reaction times are significantly faster in combat situations or with A.I. assistance (not a direct quote).
So I want you to notice that the reaction time of an elite athlete is around 120-200ms… 2’s reaction time is more than 10 times faster than that.

Now look at the Spartan 4 procedures:

Not a thing about increasing reaction time.

I understand how GEN 2 armor could increase strength and speed to Spartan 2 levels, but how on earth could reaction time increase without a procedure to improve reaction time? Reaction is, after all, a product of your brain and not your body, I do not see how GEN 2 armor could possibly enhance reaction time.

This means that in S2 vs S4 situations, while they may be equal strength, equal speed and maybe (on rare occasions) equal skill, the S2 will be able to avoid more strikes, will be able to avoid more gunfire, and will be able to act first because their reactions will just be faster.

1 Like

Halo: New Blood, chapter 14, page 98

“They super-myelinated my nervous system to amp up my reaction times.”

2 Likes

Halo blood lines is about Spartan black who are Spartan 2’s, are we talking about New Blood?

My mistake. I meant New Blood, the one about Buck.

ah, it is weird that they missed that augmentation with Palmer’s monologue, as it seems like a very important augmentation to me. I guess they saw an opportunity to fix their mistake with New Blood and took it.

Still it will be interesting to see if the 4’s reaction time augmentations are as good as the 2’s, as the 2’s have some really good RT feats that I have not seen from the Spartan 4’s yet.

Like the beam rifle dodge in the previously mentioned Halo Blood Lines.

Here’s a list of all of them; that comic didn’t list them all.

Also, the armor enhances reaction times as well.

1 Like

> 2533274798011936;6:
> Also, the armor enhances reaction times as well.

which really kind of makes no sense as reaction time is the time it takes you to move your muscles in reaction, don’t see how armor can change that
having an AI in your brain, like Chief and Cortana, that could enhance your RT, but being in armor? That makes no logical sense.

1 Like

> 2533274800656155;5:
> ah, it is weird that they missed that augmentation with Palmer’s monologue, as it seems like a very important augmentation to me. I guess they saw an opportunity to fix their mistake with New Blood and took it.

Palmer mentions that there were more augmentations that she couldn’t remember. Buck also makes mention of his eyesight and hearing being improved as well.

> 2533274800656155;7:
> > 2533274798011936;6:
> > Also, the armor enhances reaction times as well.
>
>
> which really kind of makes no sense as reaction time is the time it takes you to move your muscles in reaction, don’t see how armor can change that
> having an AI in your brain, like Chief and Cortana, that could enhance your RT, but being in armor? That makes no logical sense.

I suppose thats where the multiplying circuits come into play, since they accelerate all bodily movements.

> 2533274800656155;7:
> > 2533274798011936;6:
> > Also, the armor enhances reaction times as well.
>
>
> which really kind of makes no sense as reaction time is the time it takes you to move your muscles in reaction, don’t see how armor can change that
> having an AI in your brain, like Chief and Cortana, that could enhance your RT, but being in armor? That makes no logical sense.

The armor is linked directly to the user’s brain and neurology, and is moved not just by physical movement, but by thoughts as well. It takes an insane amount of mental control to use MJOLNIR; it being linked to the brain allows the user enhanced reaction times by “a factor of 5.” Spartan II MJOLNIR has the same thing, in fact it was introduced with Mark IV.

Reaction time is the speed of the ability for the brain to process information and react too it.

ah I forgot about that, I thought the link only came into effect when they plugged an ai in… but that makes sense because the 4’s do have the sockets on the backs of their heads.

> 2533274800656155;10:
> ah I forgot about that, I thought the link only came into effect when they plugged an ai in… but that makes sense because the 4’s do have the sockets on the backs of their heads.

(redacted)

Either way… they still aren’t as fast as Kelly.

1 Like

few months after their procedures (remember at this time they were only teenagers), SPARTAN IIs were able to run at speeds on average 34.2 mph and were able to lift at least three times their own body weight. As for IVs it was stated that they could “outrun a horse” which can imply that they can run over 31 mph. So perhaps they are as strong and fast as SPARTAN IIs when they were only adolescence. As it was stated by Mendez that as the SPARTANS II grow older, their augmentations would get better, meaning they would be stronger and faster than what they were when they just started out. So this could mean their abilities are similar to that of SPARTAN IIs when the IIs were younger.

> 2533274926133731;13:
> few months after their procedures (remember at this time they were only teenagers), SPARTAN IIs were able to run at speeds on average 34.2 mph and were able to lift at least three times their own body weight. As for IVs it was stated that they could “outrun a horse” which can imply that they can run over 31 mph. So perhaps they are as strong and fast as SPARTAN IIs when they were only adolescence. As it was stated by Mendez that as the SPARTANS II grow older, their augmentations would get better, meaning they would be stronger and faster than what they were when they just started out. So this could mean their abilities are similar to that of SPARTAN IIs when the IIs were younger.

What type of horse are they talking about? Some horse can run up to speed of 50 mph.

> 2533274793162835;14:
> > 2533274926133731;13:
> > few months after their procedures (remember at this time they were only teenagers), SPARTAN IIs were able to run at speeds on average 34.2 mph and were able to lift at least three times their own body weight. As for IVs it was stated that they could “outrun a horse” which can imply that they can run over 31 mph. So perhaps they are as strong and fast as SPARTAN IIs when they were only adolescence. As it was stated by Mendez that as the SPARTANS II grow older, their augmentations would get better, meaning they would be stronger and faster than what they were when they just started out. So this could mean their abilities are similar to that of SPARTAN IIs when the IIs were younger.
>
>
> What type of horse are they talking about? Some horse can run up to speed of 50 mph.

One can also make the point that “outrunning a horse” can easily be taken as a figurative or exaggerated statement, especially when it’s coming from someone like Palmer. We’ve yet to see a Spartan-IV actually outrun a horse.

> 2533274848433317;15:
> > 2533274793162835;14:
> > > 2533274926133731;13:
> > > few months after their procedures (remember at this time they were only teenagers), SPARTAN IIs were able to run at speeds on average 34.2 mph and were able to lift at least three times their own body weight. As for IVs it was stated that they could “outrun a horse” which can imply that they can run over 31 mph. So perhaps they are as strong and fast as SPARTAN IIs when they were only adolescence. As it was stated by Mendez that as the SPARTANS II grow older, their augmentations would get better, meaning they would be stronger and faster than what they were when they just started out. So this could mean their abilities are similar to that of SPARTAN IIs when the IIs were younger.
> >
> >
> > What type of horse are they talking about? Some horse can run up to speed of 50 mph.
>
>
> One can also make the point that “outrunning a horse” can easily be taken as a figurative or exaggerated statement, especially when it’s coming from someone like Palmer. We’ve yet to see a Spartan-IV actually outrun a horse.

This is also true.

thought it was already established that 4s have a heavy reliance on technology and its this in the end that gives them equal chance.

> 343 Industries compares the Spartan-IVs to Nissan Skyline GT-Rs: every aspect of their armor is computer controlled, and every tool they have is state of the art. While the Spartan-IVs have some biological augmentations, they are simple, lower-level augmentations that were not nearly as invasive as those the Spartan-IIs received. Out of the suits, most Spartan-IVs wouldn’t stand a chance against a Spartan-II, but thanks to their top-of-the-line gear, Spartan-IVs are theoretically as good as Spartan-IIs

What I find most hilarious is that Blue Team and Osiris are the Characterization of the two types of halo fans.

good info in here

You ever read the Spartan Field Manual, their is literally two pages dedicated to the augmentation of the spartan 4’s. Relating to reaction times, their nervous system is subjected to elemental treatments that rebuild their nuero-endocrine system, their cyclic-Amp responses are sped up and they undergo a process to super myelinate their nervous system impulses from neuron to neuron thus speeding up reaction times for the spartan in question. Their other augmentations while more vary than the 2’s and 3’s does not provide the same results when it comes to strength and speed as the 2’s and 3’s bodies have had time to acclimate to the augmentations overtime with their growing bodies; while the 4’s where already fully developed adults prior to going through the augmentation process. It is possible for spartan 4’s to get stronger via tune ups to their augmentation monitoring as is the case with 4’s compatible with Hellcat armor or through intense strength training (much like all humans). The gap in strength is actually not as big between the 4’s and the 3’s in contrast to the 2’s. As stated by buck “If spartan 2’s are more powerful than you can imagine than spartan 3’s are probably just inside your limits”.

I really think that they should establish more clearly in the canon the supremacy of SIIs over SIVs. I think that particularly in Spartan Ops and Halo 5, 343 really championed the SIVs as their spartans, or their mark on Halo. I think they set themselves up terribly in Halo 5 by putting their new spartans against the OGs. At least for me, that’s the main reason I dislike the SIVs.