So can someone please explain this to me?

How does the Arbiter make it off of the Forward Unto Dawn at the end of Halo 3 and make it back to earth for the ceremony cut-scene?

HIS end of the Forward Unto Dawn made it through the portal, unlike Chief’s.

Thus he made it through just in time, and the mass came flying into the ocean, and then the UNSC rescued the Arbiter from the ocean, he probably flew back in a Pelican, and then he was there for the ceremony.

The dawn makes it into the portal but both sides close before the back half made it through. at the end of halo 3 you see the front half crash into the sea.

So the end that MC is on does not make it though, but it doesn’t get blown up either, also Cortana said that they made it through just as the portal was closing. So what then? did the portal close while they were going through and they teleported somewhere completely different?

I just don’t understand.

> So the end that MC is on does not make it though, but it doesn’t get blown up either, also Cortana said that they made it through just as the portal was closing. So what then? did the portal close while they were going through and they teleported somewhere completely different?
>
> I just don’t understand.

Yup, apparently being in the portal as it collapses forces you into slipstream and spits you out to worlds with giant holes in them.

> So the end that MC is on does not make it though, but it doesn’t get blown up either, also Cortana said that they made it through just as the portal was closing. So what then? did the portal close while they were going through and they teleported somewhere completely different?
>
> I just don’t understand.

its like a corridor one door to earth the other is to the ark they ended up somewhere in the middle or got teleported somewhere else

Portals wouldn’t instantly teleport people to where they want to go, it would still make the ship travel somewhere. Probably at the speed of light. That’s what happened with Forward Unto Dawn, one half was travelling so fast it essentially torn itself away from the other half, that didn’t get through the portal and essentially was left behind.

Oh, I understand now, thanks everyone!