So anybody know why we went backwards with color customization?

We’ve pretty much gone back to halo ce as far as color customization in some ways even worse I remember in halo 2 we had the option of picking 2 colors and in 3 3 colors why did 343 remove this when it was present in halo 4,5??? was it just for money???

16 Likes

You know the answer to your question already.

24 Likes

Can you even select the Master Chief armor without spending money? I think we went further than backwards… on many things, lol

7 Likes

The Anniversary armor was for logging in the first week of launch. You currently can’t buy it.

It’ll probably come back next year as a login once more.

2 Likes

By the way, the game is unfinished. Looks like they may have a custom coating feature that just hasn’t been enabled yet, or could be added in the future. Welcome to modern games where you release them unfinished in hopes that you can eventually complete it through 3 years of updates :rofl:

4 Likes

They looked at other games and found a way to monetise armour, weapon and vehicle skins whilst making huge profits. We’re only a few weeks in to release so I’m afraid we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg of how obscene this could become…they’ve opened the rabbit hole and it seems too late to close it, so unless there is a major redesign overhaul of this game (which there won’t be) then they’re going to see far this rabbit hole goes. They thought this game was going to last 10 years…what a total bunch of morons the decision makers are.

3 Likes

Because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

7 Likes

Monetisation, yet somehow worse than other FTP games.

4 Likes

So anybody know why we went backwards with color customization?

Firstly, don’t shoot the messenger! I’m just sharing this info that I read the other day

This is from the Inside Infinite December 2020 edition which you can read here:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/inside-infinite-december-2020

They’re aware there will be some player pushback, but it does give their reasoning behind the decision.

Can you elaborate on what coatings are and why they’re in Halo Infinite?

CB : Yes, the coating system is something that the Live team and our 3D artists designed directly after Halo 5 and is part of the overall customization picture. In previous Halo titles, we had a series of inputs that were simple RGBs in primary and secondary channels. For Halo Infinite, we didn’t feel that flat colors in a singular pattern were good enough.

The coating system allows us to define color, wear and tear, patterns, and materials on a region-by-region basis on the Spartan or anything in the game be it armor, weapons, vehicles, or even environment elements like fuel barrels. To get to our design vision we needed to make an exceedingly difficult decision to move away from a system that was in the game from early days – primary and secondary color. This decision was not made lightly, but it has laid the foundation for greater detail and variation when it comes to color customization.

In addition to getting better variation, we can also create coatings much faster than we could create weapon skins in Halo 5, which will allow for even better variation over time. Additionally, with coatings now being their own customization option, we can also use them as rewards for player accomplishments or even create bespoke ones for certain occasions. Lastly, coatings use smaller digital footprint and let us add new ones to the game without massive patches or taking up tons of disk space, which was a learning from Halo 5.

We have looked at the system and we understand the concern. In our recent value balancing pass, which was a direct result of community feedback around coatings, we have looked hard at how many coatings are in the starting set and how many and of what quality are unlocked via engagement vs other systems.

Coatings are one part of the customization picture, but we feel all-up we will hit our goal for player representation by offering more possibilities across the entire system. While this does mean losing some player control, it increases the depth of customization that we can achieve internally and that you can ultimately show off publicly.

1 Like

An understandable reason, but still not a good reason, especially when other FTP games out there exist that monetise customisation while still allowing the choice of applying colour combinations.

it is also saddening from another perspective, DOOM 2016’s multiplayer actually allowed for a much more in-depth customisation that was minimally monetised.

3 Likes

We should stil be able to customize which color goes where i think…

2 Likes

That’s a very long winded excuse for, “players will buy our colors because they won’t have an option unless they wanna look like a default.”

5 Likes

Funny I unlocked my current color scheme by battlepass, i still don’t see why we can’t have customization.

This part is BS it was already set to regions, they could have had MOAR customization with the current coating setting ,but allow use to choose from a set of default colors and pay to unlock more colors or patterns…

3 Likes

I use Monarch, which required me to buy some Chips Ahoy.

Just a microtransaction with extra steps lol

1 Like

Look at Mechwarrior online you start with some default colors and then buy more that you can use on ALL MECHS… a system like that would have been better. (ontop of that you can ‘earn’ credits through events they have.)

Yes, I really like the idea of being able to customise the coatings ourselves, not sure if that will ever happen though.

1 Like

iike i said I like how MWO did it. (not to mention giving away credits via events)

It feels like the over arching theme for all the latest AAA titles is going backwards this year. COD quite literally went backwards, doing yet another iteration of the tired WW2 game. Battlefield has come out with the most barebones multiplayer shooter to come out in probably over a decade. Sure they have an operator system now, but they literally have more vehicles than they have guns, and they barely have any vehicles at all when you compare to their other titles. Hell, even Pokemon went backwards. Theyve made remakes before, and when they have, the remakes have been praised as good modernizations that are faithful to the old but add great new elements to keep the game fresh. But for some reason, when they made the remake for this year, they made it so painfully “faithful” to the old that they actually kept in some of the most well known and criticized flaws of the game and added pretty much nothing new. They literally just ported a DS game to the switch, made it 3D, and somehow still managed to screw it up.

So yea, the running theme for the games industry in 2021 was “go backwards” i guess.

1 Like

Because people are willing to spend money on it and tolerate games being made worse for the sake of the publisher being able to get more money out of it.

I find it funny when I see players defending this garbage by saying things like “Oh but the devs need to make money” or " It’s just cosmetic"
First off, most of the Devs don’t actually make more money from MTX. It’s the higher ups who make all that money as the devs are paid a fixed salary and sometimes they get bonuses depending on how the game performs.
In fact these MTX are actually more likely to cause the devs to make less money because the game will be reviewed less favorably, and they might not hit the metacritic score required to earn that sweet bonus

Secondly, I care about earning cosmetics and I like to be rewarded for my in game accomplishments. I’m willing to compromise here and not complain about the devs offering cosmetics in the store if I’m able to earn a substantial number of them in a reasonable manner.
In the case of Infinite, they just straight up ripped out what we already had, made it worse then put it up for sale with almost nothing to actually earn just by playing the game and that sucks

2 Likes

You have answered your own question.

1 Like