So... about that classic playlist...

So since Halo 4 is becoming so drastically different from anything we’ve ever seen before (well, scratch that since we see it every November from Activision), I’ve determined that I’ll probably never play regular matchmaking.

So this brings the question of: How good will the classic playlist be? Reach has a classic playlist and it doesn’t feel even close to Halo just because the two games are entirely different. I’ve got a bad feeling that will be the case with Halo 4 as well- and if most people who want classic Halo aren’t satisfied with Halo 4 they won’t even buy the game at all… Buying a game just to play a watered down, cheap version set off to the side isn’t fun. This is only accentuated by the fact that most others will probably feel the same, either opting to just “deal” with the Halo 4 changes or not play at all, which will make the playlist mostly dead.

I told myself a long time ago that this is just another FPS, and not Halo, but every time I see an incoming change that is a complete 180 from the original trilogy it makes me cringe, each one more than the last. They should just call this game Halo: (Insert subtitle here) and call the game a complete series reboot.

I’m still going to buy it, since it’s pretty cheap, but man, for some reason I get a feeling this will end up sitting next to Diablo 3 under my bed…

I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.

Probably going to feel like Reach’s again.

> So since Halo 4 is becoming so drastically different from anything we’ve ever seen before (well, scratch that since we see it every November from Activision), I’ve determined that I’ll probably never play regular matchmaking.
>
> So this brings the question of: How good will the classic playlist be? Reach has a classic playlist and it doesn’t feel even close to Halo just because the two games are entirely different. I’ve got a bad feeling that will be the case with Halo 4 as well- and if most people who want classic Halo aren’t satisfied with Halo 4 they won’t even buy the game at all… Buying a game just to play a watered down, cheap version set off to the side isn’t fun. This is only accentuated by the fact that most others will probably feel the same, either opting to just “deal” with the Halo 4 changes or not play at all, which will make the playlist mostly dead.
>
> I told myself a long time ago that this is just another FPS, and not Halo, but every time I see an incoming change that is a complete 180 from the original trilogy it makes me cringe, each one more than the last. They should just call this game Halo: (Insert subtitle here) and call the game a complete series reboot.
>
> I’m still going to buy it, since it’s pretty cheap, but man, for some reason I get a feeling this will end up sitting next to Diablo 3 under my bed…

The problem with Anniversary is that it attempts to replicate a SPECIFIC Halo game. A good Classic Mode attempts to recreate the Halo feel, but without stressing itself to copy every quirk of jump height, movement, etc. from a single game.

I don’t see why it won’t work. The weapons seem to work similarly to the original trilogy (Except the Pistol is better than it was in Halo 2 and 3 and more practical for MM than CE’s). Although the DMR may have to be used instead of the BR now that it’s a 5sk.

This game reminds me of CEA: Halo 2/3 with additions. Take away the extra content and mechanics, and you’ll still have the same old Halo you guys loved, except with better netcode and graphics.

Why not wait to actually get your hands on the game and give it a shot before you start calling it CoD.

> I don’t see why it won’t work. The weapons seem to work similarly to the original trilogy (Except the Pistol is better than it was in Halo 2 and 3 and more practical for MM than CE’s). Although the DMR may have to be used instead if the BR now that it’s a 5sk.

The DMR is supposed to be long range, so it is supposed to balance out with the BR, however I noticed how it was pretty effective in close and medium range in the Weapons video.

The weapons are not the problem though. Specialization will completely change the game. The only one that will have no effect on gameplay is the Double EXP spec. The loadouts will also add a big change.

I really hope that a Classic playlist is fantastic. I want to be able to get away from all these changes and play Halo how it was played in it’s golden days.

I would ask that you would at least try regular matchmaking before you completely turn it down, but it’s hard to convince people that are so close-minded.

> I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.

No, actually, Halo Reach sold better. The facts must be right before you bash anything.

> I would ask that you would at least try regular matchmaking before you completely turn it down, but it’s hard to convince people that are so close-minded.

I’ll try it, obviously. I just don’t have a good feeling when I go into a game hoping it doesn’t suck, compared to how I usually go into a game full of excitement because I’ve been following it for X amount of months/years and know it will be awesome.

> > I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.
>
> No, actually, Halo Reach sold better. The facts must be right before you bash anything.

Top 10 FPS games

Actually Halo 3 outsold Reach by a couple million units.

> Why not wait to actually get your hands on the game and give it a shot before you start calling it CoD.

Because that requires an open mind sir of wich many forum goers do not have.

> > I would ask that you would at least try regular matchmaking before you completely turn it down, but it’s hard to convince people that are so close-minded.
>
> I’ll try it, obviously. I just don’t have a good feeling when I go into a game hoping it doesn’t suck, compared to how I usually <mark>go into a game full of excitement because I’ve been following it for X amount of months/years and know it will be awesome.</mark>

I felt that way about Reach. But who knows, you may actually like the new changes when they are put into action.

> > > I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.
> >
> > No, actually, Halo Reach sold better. The facts must be right before you bash anything.
>
> Top 10 FPS games
>
> Actually Halo 3 outsold Reach by a couple million units.

I’ll dig around for more statistics, but as for right now, consider me wrong, good sir.

I feel like the “Classic Playlist” will be all I’ll be able to play without dealing with all this added nonsense.

> > > > I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.
> > >
> > > No, actually, Halo Reach sold better. The facts must be right before you bash anything.
> >
> > Top 10 FPS games
> >
> > Actually Halo 3 outsold Reach by a couple million units.
>
> I’ll dig around for more statistics, but as for right now, consider me wrong, good sir.

I think initially Reach outsold H3, but then people played it for a month and then thousands of people returned their copy.

> > > I would ask that you would at least try regular matchmaking before you completely turn it down, but it’s hard to convince people that are so close-minded.
> >
> > I’ll try it, obviously. I just don’t have a good feeling when I go into a game hoping it doesn’t suck, compared to how I usually <mark>go into a game full of excitement because I’ve been following it for X amount of months/years and know it will be awesome.</mark>
>
> I felt that way about Reach. But who knows, you may actually like the new changes when they are put into action.

I did too, actually. And at first, I liked the changes to Reach. They were cool for the first few months, but then I found myself wanting to play old Halo, and going backwards was my only option, because classic Halo Reach still isn’t Halo.

> > > > > I feel the exact same way, man. I don’t realize why 343 can’t think about the fact that Halo 3 is the best-selling Halo game, with about 150% more sales than Reach. They should have aimed to make a game more like that (hell, more like Halo 2 would be great too) and not like the (relative) failure Reach was.
> > > >
> > > > No, actually, Halo Reach sold better. The facts must be right before you bash anything.
> > >
> > > Top 10 FPS games
> > >
> > > Actually Halo 3 outsold Reach by a couple million units.
> >
> > I’ll dig around for more statistics, but as for right now, consider me wrong, good sir.
>
> I think initially Reach outsold H3, but then people played it for a month and then thousands of people returned their copy.

Exactly.