So....about Jeff...

Okay, so things like sprint, clamber, Smart scope, etc, most people seem to be on the fence about. Some people love 'em, some people hate them. However, I’ve not heard a single person talk positively about Halo 5’s take on the classic announcer.

What happened to Jeff’s voice? It seems to me that nobody appreciates the direction they’re taking, so how on Earth did they end up with it? It worries me that they heard “DOOOUUUBLE KEEEEL!!” And went “perfect, let’s have more of that.”

I get they want to go for this weird ‘sports in space’ thing, but they could easily accomplish that same feeling with the simple ‘Sssslayer’. None of this “control power weapons to dominate the enemy team!”.

And I heard he says “Perfect kill!” every time you kill someone in four shots with the BR, is that true?? (Anyone who’s played the beta, can you clarify that?) Because I can imagine anyone who’s half decent with the BR is gonna be hearing “Perfect kill! Perfect kill! Perfect Kill!” throughout the match…

Granted, I’ve yet to play it, but just watching streams is enough to give you an understanding of the sheer over-the-top-ness of his voice. So why, 343, are you going with something that seems to be universally disliked? I really can’t understand it, I really, really can’t. Sure, it’s just the beta, and it can change before launch. But that’s exactly why I’m complaining about it now, because it can change before launch.

It’s better than it is in Halo 2 Anniversary :confused:

I had a teammate who kept dropping and picking up the flag over and over again just so Jeff would yell “enemy flag captured!” “enemy flag down” “enemy flag captured” “enemy flag down” and on and on for a solid minute, so I betrayed him.

And I’m very much against betrayals, but I’m also very much against yelling the same thing over and over again ad nauseam.

Anyway, what I’ve heard of Halo 5 sounds a bit better. I didn’t have a problem with it in Halo 4, though many did.

Perfect is 4 shot, no misses in between. So, they are not that prominent. Watch the initial Beta reveal with the MLG players on it and you can see that it is not a big deal.

> 2533274883669557;2:
> It’s better than it is in Halo 2 Anniversary :confused:
>
> I had a teammate who kept dropping and picking up the flag over and over again just so Jeff would yell “enemy flag captured!” “enemy flag down” “enemy flag captured” “enemy flag down” and on and on for a solid minute, so I betrayed him.
>
> And I’m very much against betrayals, but I’m also very much against yelling the same thing over and over again ad nauseam.
>
> Anyway, what I’ve heard of Halo 5 sounds a bit better. I didn’t have a problem with it in Halo 4, though many did.

The “flag captured” “flag dropped” thing has always been an issue in Halo, though. Halo 5 has somehow managed to make everything Jeff says sound annoying. But I agree about Halo 2 anniversary, though.

After playing it for a while, I’ve taken somewhat of a liking to it. Or maybe I’m just glad I don’t have to hear the announcer on the MCC. The MCC announcer voice makes me suicidal.

> 2533274866409577;3:
> Perfect is 4 shot, no misses in between. So, they are not that prominent. Watch the initial Beta reveal with the MLG players on it and you can see that it is not a big deal.

Right, there is not as much aim assist in this as the last few halo titles. Really, its probably the least since H1, so that will make 4 shots harder. plus once people master the increased movement options, they will definitely get better at evading bullets.

Overall though, i agree with OP. the announcer needs to tone it down a bit. Just like they need to get rid of the bro-tastic circle-jerk at the end of the game.

> 2533274798578400;6:
> > 2533274866409577;3:
> > Perfect is 4 shot, no misses in between. So, they are not that prominent. Watch the initial Beta reveal with the MLG players on it and you can see that it is not a big deal.
>
>
> Right, there is not as much aim assist in this as the last few halo titles. Really, its probably the least since H1, so that will make 4 shots harder. plus once people master the increased movement options, they will definitely get better at evading bullets.
>
> Overall though, i agree with OP. the announcer needs to tone it down a bit. Just like they need to get rid of the bro-tastic circle-jerk at the end of the game.

Oh…yeah…the end bro fists? Completely forgot about those… It really feels like they’ve taken everything that we loved about the Spartan IIs and gone for the exact opposite for the IVs…

Some of the clips are okay, but I definitely have a problem with him stuffing a “y” sound into the word “kill.” :\

I think Jeff sounds better in this game.

He sounds like an over the top professional sports announcer, which is exactly what they’re going for in Halo 5’s multiplayer.

> 2533274793115123;10:
> He sounds like an over the top professional sports announcer, which is exactly what they’re going for in Halo 5’s multiplayer.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/BHzv1iz.jpg

Which would be cool, if this was a sports game. But it’s Halo, and Halo’s already got the coolest sounding announcer ever. Change isn’t always a good thing.

However, it seems I was wrong. Apparently some people like the new voice. Can’t say I understand why, but whatever floats your boat.

> 2533274827167643;11:
> > 2533274793115123;10:
> > He sounds like an over the top professional sports announcer, which is exactly what they’re going for in Halo 5’s multiplayer.
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/BHzv1iz.jpg
>
>
> Which would be cool, if this was a sports game. But it’s Halo, and Halo’s already got the coolest sounding announcer ever. Change isn’t always a good thing.
>
> However, it seems I was wrong. Apparently some people like the new voice. Can’t say I understand why, but whatever floats your boat.

That’s exactly how Halo 5 Multiplayer is being contextualized. That image I posted is concept art depicting the arena based spectacle they’re trying to make Halo 5’s multiplayer into. For these spartans, it is essentially a professional sport. Maybe it’s a bit “too” over the top, but it’s within the realm of believability when thought about in context.

Old jeff is best jeff

If they’re going for “over the top sports announcer,” I think they failed. I don’t get that feeling from Jeff’s performance in H5.

Needless to say, I’m with OP. Really don’t like the new audio.

The thing is, Jeff’s voice is a prime example of ‘So close, Yet so far’.

Like when he says “Perfect…” when you land a perfect kill. That sound fantastic.

But then things like “Double Kiell!” just sound like rubbish compared to the previous versions (Halo 3 and Reach got it right).

> 2533274883669557;2:
> It’s better than it is in Halo 2 Anniversary :confused:
>
> I had a teammate who kept dropping and picking up the flag over and over again just so Jeff would yell “enemy flag captured!” “enemy flag down” “enemy flag captured” “enemy flag down” and on and on for a solid minute, so I betrayed him.
>
> And I’m very much against betrayals, but I’m also very much against yelling the same thing over and over again ad nauseam.
>
> Anyway, what I’ve heard of Halo 5 sounds a bit better. I didn’t have a problem with it in Halo 4, though many did.

lol I know how you feel…

Completely agree with OP. The classic Jeff sounded so much cooler, in everything said.

This new robocop Jeff sounds constipated, overexcited and down right annoying… I understand the direction 343 are trying to take with how multiplayer works, but the whole “sports-shooter” tone they’ve gone for with the announcer is dumb in my opinion.

Please 343, give us back the real Jeff and get rid of this stupid imposter.

The thing that really worries me is this. Do they REALLY NOT see/hear really annoying things when they play their own game?

• Announcer is way too excited and talks too much
  • Annoying high pitch sound when shields are down
  • Flinch is back. How can someone like that your reticle bounces randomly when your shot…
  • Sniper takes too long to get into zoom and while zooming the screen is cluttered with blue stuff.

I just personally can’t simply understand how these kind of things get even in the beta? It’s just astonishing. Seeing game play mechanics or hearing sounds that are just annoying getting in the game is really absurd.

> 2749742451070320;18:
> The thing that really worries me is this. Do they REALLY NOT see/hear really annoying things when they play their own game?
> - Announcer is way too excited and talks too much
> - Annoying high pitch sound when shields are down
> - Flinch is back. How can someone like that your reticle bounces randomly when your shot…
> - Sniper takes too long to get into zoom and while zooming the screen is cluttered with blue stuff.
>
> I just personally can’t simply understand how these kind of things get even in the beta? It’s just astonishing. Seeing game play mechanics or hearing sounds that are just annoying getting in the game is really absurd.

This. So much this. It troubles me that things that the majority of the community dislike instantly, 343 are completely oblivious to. Not only that, but they actually put these things in the game. I can understand things like sprint (and to some degree ADS), but I really can’t fathom things like Jeff’s new voice, or the pings when you get a kill.

I agree. He just sounds too excited and too robotic.