Snipers maps

Dear 343, please add more maps to the Team Snipers playlist. Seeing Uncaged all the time is starting to get really boring. I think Asylum and Zealot would be good additions. Please consider this and have a good day.

If they were to remove every single map from the playlist, and then add Spire, Breakpoint, and Boneyard, it would instantly have infinitely more varied and enjoyable gameplay than it does right now. Those three maps would actually provide far more variety than the current ten-or-so do.

> If they were to remove every single map from the playlist, and then add Spire, Breakpoint, and Boneyard, it would instantly have infinitely more varied and enjoyable gameplay than it does right now. Those three maps would actually provide far more variety than the current ten-or-so do.

Well Breakpoint is in there you just barely see it because you will almost never get 8 players who all have the Noble map pack, but anything will be better than what it has now.

Rather than Spire and Boneyard, add Spiral and Boneless by Xx Overkill VR. They are modified invasion maps to function in Slayer games. They take place in the third phase. I really enjoy playing on Boneless.

> Rather than Spire and Boneyard, add Spiral and Boneless by Xx Overkill VR. They are modified invasion maps to function in Slayer games. They take place in the third phase. I really enjoy playing on Boneless.

Snipers is a 4v4 game type lol. We don’t need huge maps

> > Rather than Spire and Boneyard, add Spiral and Boneless by Xx Overkill VR. They are modified invasion maps to function in Slayer games. They take place in the third phase. I really enjoy playing on Boneless.
>
> Snipers is a 4v4 game type lol. We don’t need huge maps

Not sure if serious…

I am being serious. Asylum, countdown and zealot should be good for it.

> I am being serious. Asylum, countdown and zealot should be good for it.

Not that those would be bad Sniper maps but they would only really use your close range Sniping Skills. Those are better SWAT maps. Spiral and Boneless have both short sight lines (like the maps you suggested) as well as long sight lines (what I feel most Sniper maps should have).

> Rather than Spire and Boneyard, add Spiral and Boneless by Xx Overkill VR. They are modified invasion maps to function in Slayer games. They take place in the third phase. I really enjoy playing on Boneless.

I’ve never checked out Spiral, but I can say that even default Spire will work flawlessly.

The trick to it is that the tower position is only “overpowered” in certain ways. It has line of sight to the entire map, but the entire map also has line of sight to it. And most of the map has all those towering rocks that act as ceilings and provide ample cover. It ends up so that you have to be careful and sneaky when moving around the map, but at the same time you won’t get domed the instant you step out of cover. You and your team have a huge number of options available thanks to the size of the map, the abundance of covered paths, and the man cannons leading to the top. Those up top, meanwhile, also have to be careful and to know where the enemy is before they peek over the edge to try and spot them – lest they be domed by a shot fired from below.

Both sides have to be careful and have to act with the knowledge that the enemy could be watching from anywhere at any time, and both sides have to work with their team for maximum efficacy. Right now, Team Snipers is Slayer. What I’m talking about – and what we already got in BTB – is sniping.

In fact, the Phase 1 area in Spire actually becomes almost as powerful a position as the top of the tower. Spire is terrible for almost everything, even the Invasion game for which it was designed, but for Team Snipers, it’s the best I’ve seen. I love seeing BTB Snipes on Spire come up when playing with a team of friends.

At this point I’ll take anything to be honest.

> Snipers is a 4v4 game type lol. We don’t need huge maps

The player count is irrelevant here; the whole point of Snipers is to snipe – to engage in covert and stealthy combat across long distances. And right now, that only happens on Hemorrhage (which is a terrible map, because there are few safe paths to cover and Red side provides an unquantifiable number of advantages over Blue side).

It bugs me when people want to include Large Maps in Team Snipers as if they some how make for a good game.

Team Snipers has always had small to medium sized maps because they are quick to move around and minimise things like camping, down time and hiding. Flame me as you please but this playlist needs to be built around the better players that enjoy the quick kills and don’t want to spend 3min running back across large maps like Boneyard with its many obstacles and cover. There is also another reason why large maps are never usually picked either and thats spawn killing (Im sure I don’t need to remind you about Blue Spawn on Hemorrhage?) large maps are often very open and easy to trap opponent easily.

Team Snipers needs Pinnacle & Arena Zealot adding to the playlist and I see no reason why now Pinnacle has had its spawn trap removed? I believe this addition alone would please a competitive crowd.

> -snip-

So basically, it should be exactly the same as Team Slayer, and should not involve any actual sniping at all?

> > -snip-
>
> So basically, it should be exactly the same as Team Slayer, and should not involve any actual sniping at all?

Im sorry but was that a joke? I didn’t get it…

So whats Snipers on Reflection, is that just slayer too?

Also how do you get to Team Slayer from small to medium sized maps?

“Smaller maps make combat faster and avoid long breaks in combat.”

Playing on small to medium maps with snipers is great for players who want to run and gun and no-scope.

For players who want to play a game of Snipers, be it 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, or 8x8, medium sized maps are small.

I understand that yes some people want a realer version of sniping but the only big maps I like for a decent game of sniping would be Community Forge Maps like “Wayont*” or “Abyss* (The one with a water fall thing)” there large enough to please most but don’t allow elaborate camping like Boneyard or Breakpoint do.

• for the record I have no idea what there called!

Reach sniper’s is broken for several reasons, the maps being one i guess.

Slow movement speed, no radar makes the playlist boring.

I have gained several 50s in Halo 3 snipers, i was addicted to that list (same with TS) because you never knew what to expect, in Reach sniping is insanely easy, its gotten to the point where i simply use my old broken controller ( click zoom does not work) to challenge myself via just no scoping which also turned out to be hilarious fun for a few games until i realised that was easy too.

120% movement speed would make snipers actually be a challenge for once.

Since 343 are adding classic playlists i do hope we get snipers, hopefully ranked but i guess social would be fine.

Reach is lacking the passion i got from Halo 3, there’s just no fun in it :frowning:

If I wanted realistic sniping, I’d play some Battlfield BC2 or 3.

Something of a correction too. Snipers has always had big and small maps. Well big, medium and small. Coag and Valhalla were in 4x4. I believe Sand Tarp and Waterworks were in 4x4. Colossus was in 4x4 (a definite topic of discussion as to why it works as an any sized party map… in retrospect, a great map, but wasn’t fond of it at the time.)
Um, Stand-off was in 4x4… Heck, here.
And don’t forget Relic being in Halo2’s 4x4 Snipers.

> there large enough to please most but don’t allow elaborate camping like Boneyard or Breakpoint do.

It’s entirely possible to make a large map that allows for sniping gameplay without forcing the use of camping. The whole point to effective sniping is to make sure that the enemy doesn’t know where you are; if they can’t locate your exact position, they can’t counterattack. What this means is that a good sniper has to stay mobile; yes, they do have to set up in a perch for a bit, but the longer they stay in that perch, the less likely they are to remain hidden and survive. Adding to this is the smoke contrail on all sniper bullets and the fact that when you die, your camera automatically pans to face the general direction of your killer.

The reason that snipers don’t move around much in the big maps that are currently in the rotation is because safe movement paths are few in number and highly predictable on those maps. Hemorrhage is probably the worst offender; nearly all movement paths are exposed, the hills provide inadequate cover, and most of the perches are predictable as well. These are not problems resulting from the map’s size but instead from its layout and (non)usage of cover.

Spire is a good example of the opposite phenomenon: it provides a power position, but also plenty of cover from that power position. This forces both those in and out of the power position to be careful in their movements, but without the near-certainty of being domed the instant you step out of cover (Hemorrhage).

Ergo there are two options regarding how this playlist can be managed.

1. Keep tiny DMR-range maps like Uncaged and Reflection in the playlist, so that people can continue to treat the Sniper Rifle as if it were a four-shot-per-clip Shotgun, effectively turning this playlist into a derpy Team Slayer clone with SWAT-like weapon specificity.

2. Implement large maps that are conducive to sniping and to the careful and stealthy movement of snipers, as described above, such that the playlist actually stands out and has something unique to offer. Spire would be a great start in that regard.

They should add forge variants of the default maps customized for snipers…Hemmorhage doesn’t work for snipers…AT ALL. If it had more cover and maybe a teleport taking you to the other side of the map it’d be another story.