'Smart Scope + Melee Weapon = Blocking' Idea

To spice up melee weapon combat, what if we could use the Smart-Scope button to block? Perhaps this could reduce damage from melee attacks or explosives.
I also had the idea of a Gravity Hammer or Energy Sword variant that emits a plasma shield in front of it when blocking, negating significantly more damage.

Does anybody think this would be a good idea for future games? Other ideas are welcome.

If it’s was just the Sword it work make sense. But for the other weapons I don’t think it would work really.

> 2533274815828245;1:
> To spice up melee weapon combat, what if we could use the Smart-Scope button to block? Perhaps this could reduce damage from melee attacks or explosives.
> I also had the idea of a Gravity Hammer or Energy Sword variant that emits a plasma shield in front of it when blocking, negating significantly more damage.
>
> Does anybody think this would be a good idea for future games? Other ideas are welcome.

Not really into this. I mean the smart scope for melee weapons increases their range, I’d much prefer that to stay around. However I wouldn’t mind having the Jackal Shield as an offhand weapon, and using the grenade button to block using it. I say grenade instead of melee because if you have a sword and shield, well that’s gonna cause some problems.

> 2533274815828245;1:
> To spice up melee weapon combat, what if we could use the Smart-Scope button to block? Perhaps this could reduce damage from melee attacks or explosives.
> I also had the idea of a Gravity Hammer or Energy Sword variant that emits a plasma shield in front of it when blocking, negating significantly more damage.
>
> Does anybody think this would be a good idea for future games? Other ideas are welcome.

Smart Scope + Melee Button = Blocking/Parrying?, Not a bad idea, although melee combat is straight up hitting people and dodging (which is boring/lame), ever even hit an actual person in real life?, he’s obviously going to counter it with mostly a block or dodging.

TBH, I’d prefer to see a dedicated Melee Block button (along with Melee attack) that would work for each weapon (i don’t care what i have in my hand, i just want to keep myself alive in closed areas), i’d like to see that in Halo 6, if that happened i’ll be very glad myself.

Would be cool, but which button would be used for smart scope? All the other buttons are being used for some attack or function.

> 2535432019187619;5:
> Would be cool, but which button would be used for smart scope? All the other buttons are being used for some attack or function.

Smart Scope, left trigger or right click.

Dedicated Quick Melee Block Button - V Key (Just use Smart Scope and Melee combined to block incoming quick melee attacks)

Update: Blocking a spartan charging in front of you will not only prevents death and/or reduces damage by charging but also knocks you far back.

Increased lunge range + blocking = bad idea, the separate blocking button is not that bad, it’s what the hunters can do to grenades and what not but these weapons are balanced well enough imo

Blocking with a normal weapon would be an annoying gimmick than anything. Although Fred-104 has blocked an Energy Sword slash with a Spartan Laser, it’s too impractical really.

Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.

What if it worked like rock, paper, scissors? You go into smart scope with the sword and it activates block, the normal lunge will break the block and kill you, but a quick melee swing will be blocked, and a quick melee will beat a normal lunge attack.
Block beats melee, melee beats lunge, lunge beats block.

> 2533274971565732;9:
> Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.

Maybe to fulfill the OP’s needs, how about a longer, bigger, heavier Energy Sword that is slower to handle, does massive damage, and can “slice” through the blade of a normal-sized Energy Sword. Basically, it’s an energy claymore.

> 2535429593088083;11:
> > 2533274971565732;9:
> > Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.
>
> Maybe to fulfill the OP’s needs, how about a longer, bigger, heavier Energy Sword that is slower to handle, does massive damage, and can “slice” through the blade of a normal-sized Energy Sword. Basically, it’s an energy claymore.

I would also like to block a buttstroke with my assault rifle and they even teach those in the military nowadays.

> 2533274963518127;12:
> > 2535429593088083;11:
> > > 2533274971565732;9:
> > > Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.
> >
> > Maybe to fulfill the OP’s needs, how about a longer, bigger, heavier Energy Sword that is slower to handle, does massive damage, and can “slice” through the blade of a normal-sized Energy Sword. Basically, it’s an energy claymore.
>
> I would also like to block a buttstroke with my assault rifle and they even teach those in the military nowadays.

I will admit; 1v1 melee brawls would be a spectacle to behold, especially if both combatants can stay alive for a long time.

> 2535429593088083;11:
> > 2533274971565732;9:
> > Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.
>
> Maybe to fulfill the OP’s needs, how about a longer, bigger, heavier Energy Sword that is slower to handle, does massive damage, and can “slice” through the blade of a normal-sized Energy Sword. Basically, it’s an energy claymore.

It would have to have gravity hammer like properties. Gravity hammers have priority over swords, so if one player has a sword and the other has a hammer, the hammer would win.

So this energy claymore would probably have to be its own weapon type.

> 2535429593088083;13:
> > 2533274963518127;12:
> > > 2535429593088083;11:
> > > > 2533274971565732;9:
> > > > Maybe as a req variant? But we really don’t need anymore energy swords.
> > >
> > > Maybe to fulfill the OP’s needs, how about a longer, bigger, heavier Energy Sword that is slower to handle, does massive damage, and can “slice” through the blade of a normal-sized Energy Sword. Basically, it’s an energy claymore.
> >
> > I would also like to block a buttstroke with my assault rifle and they even teach those in the military nowadays.
>
> I will admit; 1v1 melee brawls would be a spectacle to behold, especially if both combatants can stay alive for a long time.

Might as well start saying “Gun blocking” more often (to highlight the fact you’re actually blocking a buttstroke/pistol-whip with your own gun) and include a medal called “Black Belt” to complement the proposed actual melee blocking mechanic (done via smart-scope + melee).

(Medal Idea) Black belt: Get 3 kills after successfully blocking the enemy’s buttstroke/pistol-whip/punch, without actually getting injured.

UPDATE: Aliens Versus Predator 3 has a blocking mechanic even for Marines, it was done by holding the melee button on the PC version of the game., so maybe Halo could have a melee system ala AVP2010.

> 2533274815828245;1:
> To spice up melee weapon combat, what if we could use the Smart-Scope button to block? Perhaps this could reduce damage from melee attacks or explosives.
> I also had the idea of a Gravity Hammer or Energy Sword variant that emits a plasma shield in front of it when blocking, negating significantly more damage.
>
> Does anybody think this would be a good idea for future games? Other ideas are welcome.

This is pointless as if you run up against a another person with sword they sorta have a duel and who ever strikes faster wins the sword fight. Also it would break the balance of the game

The idea is interesting OP. Past Halos had it so if two people had swords and attacked each other, they would “clash” I don’t even know if Halo 5 has this. I would be ok if melee weapons could block, “clash” other melee weapons, but I don’t know about melee weapons blocking or even reducing damage of a normal melee attack though.

maybe if you press the melee button at the same time as your opponent your spartan will block the attack or you’ll both hit each other but with less damage (kinda like how deflecting energy swords works currently)

> 2533275029034104;18:
> maybe if you press the melee button at the same time as your opponent your spartan will block the attack or you’ll both hit each other but with less damage (kinda like how deflecting energy swords works currently)

In Reach there is “Clanging”, look it up.