Smart scope is NOT ADS

Smart scope is not ads. It does not slow your speed or increase accuracy except for the smg. But I think this is a great addition to halo I used to hate it but looking at gameplay I realize it just is the old scoping Just with an animation. just like always. I hope most of you also realize this and do not get upset this is just a more realistic animation.

We know. Most of the people complaining don’t like the look of it (myself included) and want a toggle option between the old and the new scope if it really is “just for looks”.

> 2533274993843450;1:
> Smart scope is not ads. It does not slow your speed or increase accuracy except for the smg. But I think this is a great addition to halo I used to hate it but looking at gameplay I realize it just is the old scoping Just with an animation. just like always. I hope most of you also realize this and do not get upset this is just a more realistic animation.

Thank you for clarifying that to the haters

Yeah, sorry, its ADS. It may very well be ‘Halo style’ ADS, balanced in a way that we are familiar with, but that does not change what it is. They have taken mechanic that was originally a weapon trait and applied it to every weapon. You now aim down the center of the weapon(a pure downgrade in terms of player awareness I might add) and it gives a noticeable accuracy buff to the SMG/AR/Magnum.

The specific balancing mechanics are irrelevant, it doesn’t change the overall intent. It be like saying Halo doesn’t have a sprint mechanic because it has a HP recharge penalty. Its a sweeping change with a meaningful impact on sandbox balance and design, so writing off as ‘just a reskinned zoom’ is ridiculous, especially if you intend to give feedback during the Beta.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was added later as a response to how hilariously inflated the maps have become as a result of sprint and other factors. I can easily see why they did it from both a gameplay perspective of Halo 5 and the cynical marketing perspective that assumes general consumers want the same suite of mechanics in every game.

With that said I am not even asking for it to be removed(that ship sailed the moment the game was revealed), all I am saying is this: Let’s not just swallow every nonsense PR spin thrown our way okay? Smart scope is ADS in Halo and we are going to have to get used to it.

> 2533274819446242;4:
> Yeah, sorry, its ADS. It may very well be ‘Halo style’ ADS, balanced in a way that we are familiar with, but that does not change what it is. They have taken mechanic that was originally a weapon trait and applied it to every weapon. You now aim down the center of the weapon(a pure downgrade in terms of player awareness I might add) and it gives a noticeable accuracy buff to the SMG/AR/Magnum.
>
> The specific balancing mechanics are irrelevant, it doesn’t change the overall intent. It be like saying Halo doesn’t have a sprint mechanic because it has a HP recharge penalty. Its a sweeping change with a meaningful impact on sandbox balance and design, so writing off as ‘just a reskinned zoom’ is ridiculous, especially if you intend to give feedback during the Beta.
>
> It wouldn’t surprise me if it was added later as a response to how hilariously inflated the maps have become as a result of sprint and other factors. I can easily see why they did it from both a gameplay perspective of Halo 5 and the cynical marketing perspective that assumes general consumers want the same suite of mechanics in every game.
>
> With that said I am not even asking for it to be removed(that ship sailed the moment the game was revealed), all I am saying is this: Let’s not just swallow every nonsense PR spin thrown our way okay? Smart scope is ADS in Halo and we are going to have to get used to it.

You’ve hit the nail on the head, my friend.

“Smart scope” and “ADS” are two terms that refer to the exact same feature. People well keep calling it ADS because that’s the term they are familiar with. You’re free to call it what you want, but the reality of it is that the mechanic is literally aim down sights, and ADS is no more than an acronym of that.

When it comes to the impact of the mechanic, it’s not a great addition. It adds nothing meaningful to gameplay and it only works to obstruct some of the player’s view when zoomed in. To be fair, it’s not bad on weapons like BR or Magnum, but the DMR scope, for instance, is absolutely horrific as it obstructs a substantial portion of the view. The AR scope looks very tacked on because the AR doesn’t have a scope, and I’m afraid some other scopes might cause unnecessary obstructions like the DMR scope does. For instance, I can’t think of a way to design the Rocket Launcher scope without obstructing half of the player’s view.

As I see it, ADS is only harmful to gameplay and offers no real benefit. The only reason it exists in Halo is that other games have it. “Originality” is not a known word in the triple-A industry.

Ok it’s ads just not cod ads was my point

> 2533274825830455;6:
> “Smart scope” and “ADS” are two terms that refer to the exact same feature. People well keep calling it ADS because that’s the term they are familiar with. You’re free to call it what you want, but the reality of it is that the mechanic is literally aim down sights, and ADS is no more than an acronym of that.

By that same logic, a speed boost feature could be called “sprint”.

I think it is important to keep the literal dictionary definition separate from the working definition. When people say “ADS” now, a hipfire penalty is assumed . . . just like when people say “sprint” now, a combat penalty is assumed.

As for the obstruction of view for some weapons, I agree. That can largely be addressed with a semi-transparent appearance for the weapon if the iron-sight presentation is to be maintained. I really don’t care one way or the other. As long as there’s no hipfire penalty, I’m fine with it.

The guns blocking half the screen doesn’t seem like a real issue, it used to be the whole screen was dimmed to the point where you couldn’t see, now it’s just one side of the screen.

> 2533274825830455;6:
> “Smart scope” and “ADS” are two terms that refer to the exact same feature. People well keep calling it ADS because that’s the term they are familiar with. You’re free to call it what you want, but the reality of it is that the mechanic is literally aim down sights, and ADS is no more than an acronym of that.
>
> When it comes to the impact of the mechanic, it’s not a great addition. It adds nothing meaningful to gameplay and it only works to obstruct some of the player’s view when zoomed in. To be fair, it’s not bad on weapons like BR or Magnum, but the DMR scope, for instance, is absolutely horrific as it obstructs a substantial portion of the view. The AR scope looks very tacked on because the AR doesn’t have a scope, and I’m afraid some other scopes might cause unnecessary obstructions like the DMR scope does. For instance, I can’t think of a way to design the Rocket Launcher scope without obstructing half of the player’s view.
>
> As I see it, ADS is only harmful to gameplay and offers no real benefit. The only reason it exists in Halo is that other games have it. “Originality” is not a known word in the triple-A industry.

I don’t think it’s meant to add anything meaningful, it’s a cosmetic change that might draw players in, but it doesn’t change the system halo fans are use to, that’s a smart move in my opinion. And besides the view was already obstructed before, more so actually since it was all around the scope rather than just on the bottom or the side. As far as scopes on the autos goes, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing, it stops them from just being bullet hoses, and makes them more viable at mid range, which is part of the AR’S design, I don’t think the smg needs ss, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that it has it. As far as the ar not having a physical scope, the pistol has never had a physical scope but we could aim that down, but it was supported by canon, and with the AR it’s the same thing, marines were able to use smart link it I believe in the books and so forth.

I like it’s addition. I’ll use it sometimes but, not always. The BR and DMR will be weapons that I probably won’t use them but, I for sure will with the AR and similar weapons.

People who say Smart Scope is ADS are stupid and blind. It’s a reskin through and through with more tactical awareness. Pistol is the same zoom. BR the same zoom. The SMG is the same zoom as the Silenced SMG in ODST/H2A. The only thing really new and different would be the AR half-zoom… which isn’t even a full zoom.

> 2533274814347059;12:
> People who say Smart Scope is ADS are stupid and blind. It’s a reskin through and through with more tactical awareness. Pistol is the same zoom. BR the same zoom. The SMG is the same zoom as the Silenced SMG in ODST/H2A. The only thing really new and different would be the AR half-zoom… which isn’t even a full zoom.

If you actually bothered to read the posts above, you would find that “Smart Scope” is a marketing term to a newly “skinned” zoom mechanic that is essentially ADS.

It’s you who is the blind one, friend, as you cannot look past a mere monicker.

Well for weapons that originally had scopes it functions exactly the same. For weapons like AR’s and shotguns it provides no noticeable advantage other than zooming in your view, but with weapon descope back it doesn’t seem to offer any real benefits. If you’re in Smart Scope while using the AR, chances are you’re being shot at as well, which means you’ll just be descoped constantly.

> 2533274971476153;8:
> By that same logic, a speed boost feature could be called “sprint”.
>
> I think it is important to keep the literal dictionary definition separate from the working definition. When people say “ADS” now, a hipfire penalty is assumed . . . just like when people say “sprint” now, a combat penalty is assumed.
>
> As for the obstruction of view for some weapons, I agree. That can largely be addressed with a semi-transparent appearance for the weapon if the iron-sight presentation is to be maintained. I really don’t care one way or the other. As long as there’s no hipfire penalty, I’m fine with it.

I’ve never associated hipfire penalty, or movement speed penalty for that matter, with ADS until people started saying “it doesn’t have this and it doesn’t have that”. I remember very clearly that when this has been discussed in the past before the announcement of Halo 5, the option of ADS with no penalties has come up, but it was still considered ADS. It’s only after 343i introduced “Smart Scope” that people started denying that because “it doesn’t have this and it doesn’t have that”.

Based on what I’ve seen, people do associate speed boost with sprint. For instance, just in the past few days, I’ve seen discussion about the sprint in Doom, which obviously isn’t a similar sprint mechanic as in modern games. It’s more of a speed boost, really.

If some new terminology gets widely accepted, then people will use it. But now it feels to me that the only reason people are saying “it’s not ADS” is because they want it to be a Halo-feature, and not a feature borrowed from some other game.

> 2533274929479318;10:
> I don’t think it’s meant to add anything meaningful, it’s a cosmetic change that might draw players in, but it doesn’t change the system halo fans are use to, that’s a smart move in my opinion. And besides the view was already obstructed before, more so actually since it was all around the scope rather than just on the bottom or the side. As far as scopes on the autos goes, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing, it stops them from just being bullet hoses, and makes them more viable at mid range, which is part of the AR’S design, I don’t think the smg needs ss, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that it has it. As far as the ar not having a physical scope, the pistol has never had a physical scope but we could aim that down, but it was supported by canon, and with the AR it’s the same thing, marines were able to use smart link it I believe in the books and so forth.

First you say it’s a cosmetic change, then you say it makes AR more viable ad mid-range. Which is it? To be clear, I don’t have problems with some of the scopes. The scopes on BR and Magnum are acceptable because they are hardly more obstructing than in the past. But there are scope designs like on the DMR which are horribly obstructive and should be redesigned.

But if the goal is to have it be cosmetic, why not have it as an option? Why can’t we have the option to switch back to the traditional scopes? That’s obviously the best way to deal with it.

Finally, canonically, the weapon is smart linked to the HUD, and that’s how all the scopes worked in the past. That’s exactly why ADS seems so tacked on, especially on weapons like AR that don’t have a scope naturally.

Based of the Control Schemes we know, Smart scope seems like it is going to be zoom ADS. Close enough to ADS that it will attract new players and work with the right trigger but also enough like zoom that it can work with RS and keep classic players. You should watch some more Ready Up Live. They have a lot of Halo 5 gameplay.

A simpler way to put it… it is ADS. It has the basic properties of an ADS. But it’s different than the ADS in other shooters. It’s not like COD ADS.

> 2533274825830455;15:
> > 2533274971476153;8:
> > By that same logic, a speed boost feature could be called “sprint”.
> >
> > I think it is important to keep the literal dictionary definition separate from the working definition. When people say “ADS” now, a hipfire penalty is assumed . . . just like when people say “sprint” now, a combat penalty is assumed.
> >
> > As for the obstruction of view for some weapons, I agree. That can largely be addressed with a semi-transparent appearance for the weapon if the iron-sight presentation is to be maintained. I really don’t care one way or the other. As long as there’s no hipfire penalty, I’m fine with it.
>
>
>
>
> I’ve never associated hipfire penalty, or movement speed penalty for that matter, with ADS until people started saying “it doesn’t have this and it doesn’t have that”. I remember very clearly that when this has been discussed in the past before the announcement of Halo 5, the option of ADS with no penalties has come up, but it was still considered ADS. It’s only after 343i introduced “Smart Scope” that people started denying that because “it doesn’t have this and it doesn’t have that”.
>
> Based on what I’ve seen, people do associate speed boost with sprint. For instance, just in the past few days, I’ve seen discussion about the sprint in Doom, which obviously isn’t a similar sprint mechanic as in modern games. It’s more of a speed boost, really.
>
> If some new terminology gets widely accepted, then people will use it. But now it feels to me that the only reason people are saying “it’s not ADS” is because they want it to be a Halo-feature, and not a feature borrowed from some other game.
>
>
>
> > 2533274929479318;10:
> > I don’t think it’s meant to add anything meaningful, it’s a cosmetic change that might draw players in, but it doesn’t change the system halo fans are use to, that’s a smart move in my opinion. And besides the view was already obstructed before, more so actually since it was all around the scope rather than just on the bottom or the side. As far as scopes on the autos goes, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing, it stops them from just being bullet hoses, and makes them more viable at mid range, which is part of the AR’S design, I don’t think the smg needs ss, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that it has it. As far as the ar not having a physical scope, the pistol has never had a physical scope but we could aim that down, but it was supported by canon, and with the AR it’s the same thing, marines were able to use smart link it I believe in the books and so forth.
>
>
>
>
> First you say it’s a cosmetic change, then you say it makes AR more viable ad mid-range. Which is it? To be clear, I don’t have problems with some of the scopes. The scopes on BR and Magnum are acceptable because they are hardly more obstructing than in the past. But there are scope designs like on the DMR which are horribly obstructive and should be redesigned.
>
> But if the goal is to have it be cosmetic, why not have it as an option? Why can’t we have the option to switch back to the traditional scopes? That’s obviously the best way to deal with it.
>
> Finally, canonically, the weapon is smart linked to the HUD, and that’s how all the scopes worked in the past. That’s exactly why ADS seems so tacked on, especially on weapons like AR that don’t have a scope naturally.

The zoom mechanic has not changed in h5 compared to previous games, what’s different about this situation is that the same zoom function we’ve had for 13 years is now on automatics, think m7s. It’s the same function that’s cosmetically different, it being on autos doesn’t change the mechanic itself.

You can also make a Weapon more useful without changing its stats, zooming has been doing that for years, the BR, for example, is just as accurate and powerful without the scope, but allowing players to see further increases its viability but not its performance, that’s what’s happening with the AR now.

I can agree with the dmr scope being too obstructing but 343 has said that the scopes aren’t done, so I imagine it will change.

The most exciting thing for me about the new SC is being able to scope-in using the triggers. Pressing the analog down is awful.

You’re aiming down sights. It might not be slow the game down or change weapon stats but it is ADS.