Smaller maps in subsequent packs pls

Larger maps have their place, don’t get me wrong, but many of my fondest memories of the halo multiplayer experience occurred in maps that are 5 or 6 times smaller than some of the halo 4 maps. As halo has evolved so too has the size of the playable space in multiplayer increased. I understand that some of this is an intentional shift away from the more intimate 2v2 split screen experience to the more inclusive 8v8 online experience, and that this shift requires a larger playground - and as I said I’m certainly not knocking big maps. I love vehicular combat as much as the next guy. But I would love a map as small as Longest, or Prisoner or Chill Out and sadly these are seemingly going extinct. Crimson pack only helps prove this point, as the smallest of its maps could swallow CE’s largest easily.

Yep.

I doubt Harvest could swallow Sidewinder :wink: but I hear you loud and clear!

haha yeah i wasn’t sure about that one, but ignored it to make the point. it’d be close i think but you’re probably right.

Excellent point. This was one of the primary shortcomings with Reach. It had too few good small 4v4 competitive maps. Bungie, and then 343 instead relied on the forge community to fill that weakness instead of providing for it with DLC. I can only hope that with the wild popularity of Haven they are beginning to understand that people love small maps as much if not more than the big ones.

Every Halo player should like small maps compared to the big ones. This game is known for 4v4 play, BTB is great but it should not be the focus of this game. BTB has high numbers in this game because of the lack of 4v4 maps. Haven is the only good one, they need to add forged maps to the game and so on

> Every Halo player should like small maps compared to the big ones. This game is known for 4v4 play, BTB is great but it should not be the focus of this game. BTB has high numbers in this game because of the lack of 4v4 maps. Haven is the only good one, they need to add forged maps to the game and so on

Adding forge maps is an improvement, but not a solution. I, personally, don’t want to see H4 go down the road Reach went with map selection where there were more forge maps in the rotation than developer built maps. H4 needs more high quality small maps in DLC, or else competitive play will go the way of Reach.

I’m definitely okay with forge maps if they are fun to play. I heard somewhere that they do have smaller maps in the works, so it’s just a matter of time (February at the earliest.)

Speaking of forge maps…anyone know why they aren’t using them in matchmaking at all? It would add some serious diversity…I’m tired of seeing Meltdown, Vortex and Exile 3 times in a row. I hardly ever see Ragnarok anymore (I feel they took the weighting down too much) and no one ever wants to play Meltdown or Vortex if Longbow or Exile are an option.

The only reason I play so much BTB is because SWAT needs more small/fast paced maps. sigh

Still loving the game though

I hope you’re right and some smaller maps are in the works… I also hope “smaller maps” means something more akin to HCE or H2 size, not just small relative to the current selection.

RE: forge vs. developer born maps - I definitely love the community maps but nothing shows love for a community quite like a developer who listens to it, and seeing made-from-scratch smaller, arena-style maps certainly would bolster my confidence in 343’s ability to cater to their core audience.

> Speaking of forge maps…anyone know why they aren’t using them in matchmaking at all?

My guess is that the dynamic lighting causes too many glitches and too much lag.