Small, yet very much needed

In forge world, where ever you are on the map, it has a label next to the motion sensor, why cant you change that?
When i make a map, such as a space station, why cant you label each room, like hangar, reactor, etc. instead of it saying canyon, or island, what ever part of the map you build it over. Do you guys want this? Yes, I know this is such a little thing, but still would make a difference and add more realism to your maps.

I think that virtually everybody who’s noticed the callout display has wanted to change the callout display, but Reach doesn’t seem to have any API (for lack of a better term) for that that a Forge piece or gametype can hook into.

I think that 343 could hack in the functionality, though… We know that gametype scripting can both show and hide GUI widgets. So 343 could write a gametype script that hides the normal callout display and displays custom text over it.

The gametype script would then check the player’s position to see if they are inside the Shape volume of an object with a given label (let’s say “MAP_CALLOUT”). If so, the script checks that object’s Spawn Sequence, and uses that to load a predefined string. (We’d hence have access to up to 200 predefined strings, one associated with each possible Spawn Sequence value).

So for example, “Lobby” could be Spawn Sequence 1, “Stairs” = 2, “Reactor” = 3, “Silo” = 4, “Generator” = 5, “Launch Bay” = 6, “Armory” = 7, “Hangar” = 8, “Top Mid” = 9, “Bottom Mid” = 10, and so on… And when 100 is reached, they can use the negative numbers (“Crashed Ship” = -100, “Crashed Pelican” = -99, “Deployable Lookout Tower” = -98, “MAC Cannon” = -97, and so on).

If Megalo-scripted gametypes can hide the callout display, then the entire system that I’ve just described can be implemented without a Title Update or DLC in existing maps, and would function flawlessly so long as players use compatible game variants (containing the updated script).

On a side note, I noticed that the skybox on Tempest has no callout. (After making Cyberdyne just below the skybox, and is forever labelled beach…)

Cobb that is brilliant. I was thinking something like that would be how it would have to be handled. This could be awesome.

> Cobb that is brilliant. I was thinking something like that would be how it would have to be handled. This could be awesome.

Well, apparently, they can’t nuke the callout display with Megalo.

…But hypothetically, they can plaster the text “HAHAHA, DISREGARD THAT” directly over that display and render it illegible, and then show my variable-string idea directly next to it…