Slower Kill times?

Is it just me, or have the halo 4 the kill times have gotten extremely fast? It seems to me that it has become more of a who sees who first situation for which player wins the fight. It seems that instead of slowing down the kill time for the DMR when doing the weapon tweaks 343 chose to speed up the kill times for all the other weapons.

So this brings me to my question. Do you think halo 5 should have slower kill times than halo 4 in order to give players a chance to react and make killing require more skill? Or are the kill times fine as they are?

The Halo 4 times are basically what we had in Halo 2, for what it’s worth.

The kill times for your “standard” weapons are around H2 levels. The problem isn’t that the normal weapons kill to quickly, the problem with Halo 4 is that we are getting OHK weapons thrown in every other encounter from Ordnance and Loadouts(Boltshot/Stickies).

Removing those two aspects from Halo 5 would slow the game down in a good way.

Other fixes include a more responsive strafe, lower auto aim(both of which increase killtimes while also increasing the skill gap), and removing instant respawn from any default gametype. Lets not forget poor map design made of long sightlines and no man’s land where players get cut to ribbons by team shot.

Halo 4 has a lot of problems but the killtimes of the BR and friends are not one of them.

“Kill time” in itself isn’t a meaningful concept. There are two separate kill times: minimum kill time and average kill time. Minimum kill time is the absolute fastest time a weapon can kill if you are just shooting as fast as possible at the opponent’s head without missing a shot. Average kill time, on the other hand, is the statistical average of how long it takes from a player to kill another player in a real world multiplayer scenario.

The minimum kill time is fine. It’s fine that a weapon can, in an ideal scenario, kill a player even in as little time as one second. A problem is created, the problem of Halo 4, when the average kill time is too close to the minimum kill time. Ideally you would have a large gap between the average kill time and the minimum kill time, for instance, with the minimum kill time being 1.4 seconds and the average kill time being 3-4 seconds. This would mean that in an average matchmaking game, with average players, kills wouldn’t happen very fast, but there would still be a large difference between how fast a good player can kill compared to an average player with the same weapon.

The problem with Halo 4 is that aiming, for whatever reason, is so ridiculously easy that most encounters end very close to the minimum kill time, which makes the kill times appear too fast. The problem is not that both players can finish each other off so fast, but that aiming is so easy even for the worse player that the skill difference between them appears smaller. Hence the encounter is less reliant on skill and more reliant on who sees who first.

So, no, the minimum kill times aren’t too fast. They are fine, they could even be lower. The problem that needs to be fixed is the ease of aim. A five shot kill with the DMR shouldn’t be the norm, but a rare exception that makes you feel good about yourself.

I would say the kill times are fine as they are, things like Sprint make it and too many OP weapons that make killing easier.

If sprint and personal ordnance weapons were taken out the game feel about as fast as Halo 2.

> I would say the kill times are fine as they are, things like Sprint make it and too many OP weapons that make killing easier.
>
> If sprint and personal ordnance weapons were taken out the game feel about as fast as Halo 2.

Sprint doesn’t actually speed up gameplay, just gives the illusion. People can tell you all about that, believe me.

> > I would say the kill times are fine as they are, things like Sprint make it and too many OP weapons that make killing easier.
> >
> > If sprint and personal ordnance weapons were taken out the game feel about as fast as Halo 2.
>
> Sprint doesn’t actually speed up gameplay, just gives the illusion. People can tell you all about that, believe me.

I know, thats why I said “feel about as fast as Halo 2”

I probaly worded my sentence wrong. Lol :slight_smile:

Halo 4 was just flooded with too many one hit kill weapons, so it does seem like that.

> Ideally you would have a large gap between the average kill time and the minimum kill time, for instance, with the minimum kill time being 1.4 seconds and the average kill time being 3-4 seconds. This would mean that in an average matchmaking game, with average players, kills wouldn’t happen very fast, but there would still be a large difference between how fast a good player can kill compared to an average player with the same weapon.
>
> A five shot kill with the DMR shouldn’t be the norm, but a rare exception that makes you feel good about yourself.

Those days are long gone and, I fear, never coming back.

> The Halo 4 times are basically what we had in Halo 2, for what it’s worth.

True,

But your shield recharge rate is slower unless you have the PERK. And this is proabbly why it seems the Kill Times are much faster. As your shields have not recharged by your next encounter where in Halo 2/3 they would have.

Also the Instant Respawn with Sprint allows players who have been killed to get into the game instantly and with Sprint return to the area of the last encounter where they can kill the person who killed them as their shields are still charging.