Sliding Feedback

In my opinion Sliding does not seem to fit the game-play of Halo since it is not COD, Destiny or Apex and Halo should distance itself from those games. Halo has always been about skills with weapons, holding down areas of the map and fun, so adding in a slide mechanic feels off.

I remember reading that a 343 Dev mentioned they decided to remove assassinations because they were not widely used and they wanted to go for a more retro Halo feel, so how sliding is retro is confusing. How many people actually use sliding? I bet its not more than people who would use assassinations. Assassinations are a cool Halo specific mechanic that left you exposed so you had to make a quick tactical decision if it was worth doing it or not, but if you pulled it off it was satisfying.

I would much rather have assassinations then sliding any day since assassinations were unique to Halo and had a level of satisfaction and fun to them.

NOW this is a TAKE. This has to be a joke post.

Dude, can you stop pretending anything new automatically ruins halo?

You can’t even slide that far.

Thanks a bunch my ears can never unsee this.

Hahaha, oh wow.

Games evolve over time. Different games come out with new mechanics and some stand the test of time. These new mechanics make games more interesting and give depth to movement possibilities.

What do you want? Slow floating turrets, with radar, and AA that does all the work for you? That sounds insanely boring. The first Halo was fine when it came out. Things have changed and progressed.

If you want to play the same game over and over, play that game.

I actually don’t like sliding either, it immediately makes the game Destiny to me. I know I’m in the minority saying that. But it’s just another step away from Halo.

I don’t like sliding either, but it’s probably here to stay. My suggestion would be to limit the amount of sliding a player can do in rapid succession. Sliding becomes very spammy very quickly when people do it every second.

I don’t like sliding simply because it’s just the Thruster problem again, an enemy can radically change their movement speed and direction instaneously with one button press, and it can end up -Yoinking!- your aim up. I’m probably in the minority, but Halo didn’t need slide, it was fine without it. Same with sprint, but that one’s almost certainly never getting removed at this point. And no, it’s not that new things are bad, it’s that these features are literally pointless.

We need a toggle for this! /s

If anyone has an extra code can you dm it to me?

> 2533274892422354;3:
> Dude, can you stop pretending anything new automatically ruins halo?
>
> You can’t even slide that far.

It’s simple really. Anything that permanently adds to Spartans‘ attached “shoot, grenades, melee” is bad.

Temporary abilities like equipment and vehicles are good.

> 2533274937869264;12:
> > 2533274892422354;3:
> > Dude, can you stop pretending anything new automatically ruins halo?
> >
> > You can’t even slide that far.
>
> It’s simple really. Anything that permanently adds to Spartans‘ attached “shoot, grenades, melee” is bad.
>
> Temporary abilities like equipment and vehicles are good.

It’s asinine.

> 2535458054215258;9:
> I don’t like sliding simply because it’s just the Thruster problem again, an enemy can radically change their movement speed and direction instaneously with one button press, and it can end up -Yoinking!- your aim up. I’m probably in the minority, but Halo didn’t need slide, it was fine without it. Same with sprint, but that one’s almost certainly never getting removed at this point. And no, it’s not that new things are bad, it’s that these features are literally pointless.

LOL, you don’t like any sort of skill in movement. No room for outplays either. Boring…

Move slowly so I can please hit you.

Plus slide doesn’t work like that. It’s slow and has a long animation. You can’t use it in a gunfight. You can only really use it to evade or initiate a fight. Good luck sliding mid fight.

> 2533274892422354;13:
> > 2533274937869264;12:
> > > 2533274892422354;3:
> > > Dude, can you stop pretending anything new automatically ruins halo?
> > >
> > > You can’t even slide that far.
> >
> > It’s simple really. Anything that permanently adds to Spartans‘ attached “shoot, grenades, melee” is bad.
> >
> > Temporary abilities like equipment and vehicles are good.
>
> It’s asinine.

Wonderful point indeed :+1:

It’s amusing that people chose to make pointless comments instead of giving a valid reason why slide is useful or why they think it is a good addition to Halo over other mechanics.

343 has said that they want to go back to the retro Halo feel so they removed assassinations ( these may return) and spartan abilities to give Infinite that retro feel. However, adding in a slide mechanic seems to go against that concept since sliding is a mechanic for modern games. It would make more sense to have a 3 second sprint boost, which would be more useful when evading, chasing a target or getting away from vehicles. At minimum slide should have a cool down, so that it cannot be spammed.

> 2533274804066110;1:
> I’ll get straight to the point.
>
> In my opinion Sliding has zero place in Halo and it should be removed before launch. Halo is not COD or Destiny and it should distance itself from those games instead of sharing movement actions. Halo has always been about skills with weapons, holding down areas of the map and fun, so adding in a slide mechanic feels very wrong. Assassinations were a cool feature and Halo specific, so it made sense to me in Halo. Also, using it left you exposed so you had to make a quick tactical decision if it was worth doing it or not. However, if you pulled it off it was satisfying. One of the 343 Devs mentioned back in August that they decided to remove assassinations because people did not use them, but they should not be replaced with sliding. How many people actually use sliding? I bet its not more than people who would use assassinations.
>
> I would much rather have assassinations then sliding any day since assassinations were unique to Halo and had a level of satisfaction and fun to them.
>
> 343 consider removing the slide from the game so Halo can be Halo not try to be other games.

Unfortunately, too many people like it and it’s not necessary to play the game. Therefore, you can choose not to slide, and you aren’t forced to make concessions just by its very existence (such as was the case in Halo 5 with sprint causing map stretch, forcing you to sprint). They wouldn’t consider removing it, as I see it, but my problem with it is that it’s unrealistic. The distance you get from sliding is wayy too much. You would never get the distances you see players sliding from the amount that they are running. I’d at least like for them to make it a little more realistic

> 2533274817438690;17:
> > 2533274804066110;1:
> > I’ll get straight to the point.
> >
> > In my opinion Sliding has zero place in Halo and it should be removed before launch. Halo is not COD or Destiny and it should distance itself from those games instead of sharing movement actions. Halo has always been about skills with weapons, holding down areas of the map and fun, so adding in a slide mechanic feels very wrong. Assassinations were a cool feature and Halo specific, so it made sense to me in Halo. Also, using it left you exposed so you had to make a quick tactical decision if it was worth doing it or not. However, if you pulled it off it was satisfying. One of the 343 Devs mentioned back in August that they decided to remove assassinations because people did not use them, but they should not be replaced with sliding. How many people actually use sliding? I bet its not more than people who would use assassinations.
> >
> > I would much rather have assassinations then sliding any day since assassinations were unique to Halo and had a level of satisfaction and fun to them.
> >
> > 343 consider removing the slide from the game so Halo can be Halo not try to be other games.
>
> Unfortunately, too many people like it and it’s not necessary to play the game. Therefore, you can choose not to slide, and you aren’t forced to make concessions just by its very existence (such as was the case in Halo 5 with sprint causing map stretch, forcing you to sprint). They wouldn’t consider removing it, as I see it, but my problem with it is that it’s unrealistic. The distance you get from sliding is wayy too much. You would never get the distances you see players sliding from the amount that they are running. I’d at least like for them to make it a little more realistic

Agree. If they keep the slide it should be more realistic based on the speed that you move. I also think that it should have a 20 sec or 30 sec cool down.

As it stands the slide is so inefficient I don’t even utilize it. It gives you an initial speed buff but it’s so minute that you feel like you’re slowing down faster than you’re speeding up. I’ve used this analogy many times; it feels like your car’s tires just suddenly disappeared and you’re quickly grinding to a complete stop. The slide is way too clunky. And sprint is far slower than H5 you can’t even run for cover. You just get shot down from behind as you attempt to. It’s more efficient for the team if you just turn around and got as many shots as you could in before you die. Slide and sprint in infinite is not worth using competitively. And in BTB the sprint movement speed is so slow I just wait for the next available vehicle to spawn while I shoot from afar.

> 2533274804066110;18:
> > 2533274817438690;17:
> > > 2533274804066110;1:
> > > I’ll get straight to the point.
> > >
> > > In my opinion Sliding has zero place in Halo and it should be removed before launch. Halo is not COD or Destiny and it should distance itself from those games instead of sharing movement actions. Halo has always been about skills with weapons, holding down areas of the map and fun, so adding in a slide mechanic feels very wrong. Assassinations were a cool feature and Halo specific, so it made sense to me in Halo. Also, using it left you exposed so you had to make a quick tactical decision if it was worth doing it or not. However, if you pulled it off it was satisfying. One of the 343 Devs mentioned back in August that they decided to remove assassinations because people did not use them, but they should not be replaced with sliding. How many people actually use sliding? I bet its not more than people who would use assassinations.
> > >
> > > I would much rather have assassinations then sliding any day since assassinations were unique to Halo and had a level of satisfaction and fun to them.
> > >
> > > 343 consider removing the slide from the game so Halo can be Halo not try to be other games.
> >
> > Unfortunately, too many people like it and it’s not necessary to play the game. Therefore, you can choose not to slide, and you aren’t forced to make concessions just by its very existence (such as was the case in Halo 5 with sprint causing map stretch, forcing you to sprint). They wouldn’t consider removing it, as I see it, but my problem with it is that it’s unrealistic. The distance you get from sliding is wayy too much. You would never get the distances you see players sliding from the amount that they are running. I’d at least like for them to make it a little more realistic
>
> Agree. If they keep the slide it should be more realistic based on the speed that you move. I also think that it should have a 20 sec or 30 sec cool down.

Slide already feels like you turn into a rock. Playing on FOV 120 degrees gives you artificial distance and doesn’t make you any “faster”. I’d argue slide should decelerate slower than what it is currently. Even I can slide more fluid than this on a baseball field. Your speed should reduce when the hip reaches the ground not when you press the slide input.