Skill Search Adjustments

BS Angel said they were implementing changes to the skill search parameters with first adjustments starting today.
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst206373p2_csr--ending-fun-of-matchmaking.aspx
Does anybody have any specific information as to what changes they are hoping to implement?

I think they will extend the search time for players with the same level of skills. For now, the search put more emphasis to find players so the wait is as short as possible and that can result in being matched with players were the gap in skills are to big. I saw, for example, Ninja (CSR 50) and his friend (CSR 42) were matched against two CSR1 :slight_smile:

> I think they will extend the search time for players with the same level of skills. For now, the search is put more emphasis to find players so the wait is as short as possible.

That would be general idea, but i was hoping there was concrete information out there as to what it was. ex: Previous Halo games have limited trueskill differences to 10. Party restrictions?

You get the idea.

Aha, ok. I have no info about that and I am sceptic that they would go out with it, with the CSR being so critized.

> Aha, ok. I have no info about that and I am sceptic that they would go out with it, with the CSR being so critized.

Community relations is a thankless job, but it does good. You see all the people on the forums complaining about CSR, but the people that are pleased with the implementation (even if they are critical of some aspects) are largely silent. You never hear from all the people that don’t particularly care about CSR but enjoy the shift in the level of play.

I don’t blame them if they get fed up with the community, but it is still in their best interests to be as proactive about communicating as possible.

So I had taken BS Angel’s post to mean that party size restrictions were going to be implemented. It seems like every game I’ve played tonight has been against a team of three or four. I know its a low population time, but come on!

I really would like to know what the adjustments are doing and what they are hoping to accomplish. Tossing out a “we are adjusting it on Monday” and then not following up with clarification or a change that creates any noticeable change… I would rather have not know about it.

> I think they will extend the search time for players with the same level of skills. For now, the search put more emphasis to find players so the wait is as short as possible and that can result in being matched with players were the gap in skills are to big.

Right now location/latency is the highest priority for matchmaking I thought? Unless they are going to do something to reduce lag I don’t see that changing. If there has been any changes it would be great to know about them for sure.

Actually there’s info on it in the new bulletin.

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/05/22/The-Halo-Bulletin-52213.aspx

Looks like some playlists are going to get the axe for consolidation.

> Actually there’s info on it in the new bulletin.
>
> http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/05/22/The-Halo-Bulletin-52213.aspx
>
> Looks like some playlists are going to get the axe for consolidation.

And, as 343i stated that their preferred list is ten for play lists, if it is done fairly, ie, as stated in Bulletin, less popular lists get the chop, the following are on the way out the door, as they are the lowest populated on the list of seventeen:

So sad, goodbye to the ever popular:

Castle DLC;
Team Throwdown;
Team Objective;
Dominion;
Rumble Pit.
Multi team; and
Grifball.

To not remove the least populated in order of last, second last and so on, would be an injustice to all those who play and populate the highest played lists, such as:

BTIS; Infinity Slayer; SWAT; CTF; Team Action Sack; Team Doubles; Team Snipers; Flood and Regicide.

Let us see if 343i are capable of doing the right thing and remove the least populated lists…that would almost effectively remove most of the win/loss play lists…which were never going to be popular in the lead up to their introduction and, that is exactly how it turned out.

343i could have something like Team Action Sack, I would call it:

Team Novelty (includes):

Throwdown, Dominion,Objectives, Grifball etc all thrown into one list…the Central place for win/loss completive players.

> > Actually there’s info on it in the new bulletin.
> >
> > http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/05/22/The-Halo-Bulletin-52213.aspx
> >
> > Looks like some playlists are going to get the axe for consolidation.
>
> And, as 343i stated that their preferred list is ten for play lists, if it is done fairly, ie, as stated in Bulletin, less popular lists get the chop, the following are on the way out the door, as they are the lowest populated on the list of seventeen:
>
> So sad, goodbye to the ever popular:
>
> Castle DLC;
> Team Throwdown;
> Team Objective;
> Dominion;
> Rumble Pit.
> Multi team; and
> Grifball.
>
> To not remove the least populated in order of last, second last and so on, would be an injustice to all those who play and populate the highest played lists, such as:
>
> BTIS; Infinity Slayer; SWAT; CTF; Team Action Sack; Team Doubles; Team Snipers; Flood and Regicide.
>
> Let us see if 343i are capable of doing the right thing and remove the least populated lists…that would almost effectively remove most of the win/loss play lists…which were never going to be popular in the lead up to their introduction and, that is exactly how it turned out.
>
> 343i could have something like Team Action Sack, I would call it:
>
> Team Novelty (includes):
>
> <mark>Throwdown, Dominion,Objectives, Grifball etc all thrown into one list…the Central place for win/loss completive players.</mark>

Not a chance. They are too different from one another.I can only see playlist like Team Regicide, CTF and OBJ getting combined to make a super OBJ playlist maybe include dominion depending if they want to make the playlist 4v4 or 6v6. The rest of the playlist are too unique to be combined and doing so would ruin the balance MM has.

If any thing the playlist should look like this

Teamslayer
-Team slayer would combine 4v4 slayer game types like slayer pro, infinity and if legendary/classic slayer comes out it will find its self here.

Doubles

• This playlist will have the same slayer gametypes team slayer has but also a mix of OBJ games like Oddball or KOTH.

FFA
-will consist of the slayer game types found in Teamslayer as well as Oddball, KOTH and regicide.

BTB

• BTB will have all the slayer game types Team slayer has but also dominion will be added along with CTF and 3 plot extraction.

OBJ

• OBJ will consist of every 4v4 OBJ gametype. CTF, Oddball, Extraction, KOTH and Team regicide.

Throwdown

• Will only update with the competitive community settings

The rest of these playlist will remain the same as well

Snipers
Swat
Multi team
Action sack
Flood
Griffball
DLC
Community test

WolfBlade: every post I see from you is the polar opposite extreme of the super-hardcore players. There is so much bias, and you don’t even seem to try and look at it from the other side.

While there are the opposite extremes, a lot can see the merit of more casual playlists (expanding Halo’s playerbase for one), where you seem totally blind to the merit of competitive ones. Just because you don’t like competitive lists, doesn’t mean others don’t. I haven’t seen many competitive players lobbying for the removal of Action Sack, Grifball or Flood for the sake of player consolidation, so it would be lovely if you could stop lobbying for playlists that the competitive crowd fought and argued for for months to be removed.

As far as playlist consolidation goes, there are a few moves I can think of that seem obvious.

1. Combine Dominion and Team Objective. TO should never have been 6v6, but since it is, Dominion may as well go in there.

2. Combine Regicide and Rumble Pit. At the moment, Regicide is easy-mode mess around FFA, and Rumble Pit is competitive FFA. Combine the two and the players from each would always get fairer and quicker matches (so weaker players could play Slayer and not get trounced, and stronger could play Regicide and not trounce).

3. Remove Castle altogether but increase weighting of DLC maps across the board.

With the upcoming removal of the current forge test playlist, that would bring us to thirteen playlists, and while some see sparser populations, their removal would cause uproar. Can you imagine if Throwdown was actually removed due to a low population?

> 2. Combine Regicide and Rumble Pit.

Please no. Rumble Pit is perfect like it is. Regicide is terrible and I really don’t want to see one of my favorite playlists ruined.

Throwdown should and will remain untouched. Considering it is designed to fulfill a unique purpose a relatively small subset of the community, it probably shouldn’t really be taken into account when deciding how many other play lists to have.

Objective will get rolled into ctf, with nonctf game types probably getting a lower weighting.

Swat and snipes are probably safe.

Regicide could be rolled into infinity slayer as an alternate game type. I would like it to share the third voting slot with slayer pro.

I am still hoping that legendary slayer is team slayer and that it will be its own play list. Probably not fair to the rest of the community, but I would like to have team slayer with infinity slayer, slayer pro, and regicide as the third voting options.

As far as the search parameters go, I am disappointed that there is still no word on party restrictions. Stricter skill matching is nice, but it won’t help much if I’m now matched up against four people every bit as good as me that have a distinct advantage to boot.

> Team Novelty (includes):
>
> Throwdown, Dominion,Objectives, Grifball etc all thrown into one list…the Central place for win/loss completive players.

Ugh . . . no!

Even though Throwdown is not hugely popular, it absolutely MUST remain as a separate playlist. And no, I don’t play it. But there needs to be a playlist with competitive settings and highly coordinated team play for those who want to play it. There is no other playlist like Throwdown, so it cannot be combined.

If you want to see a vocal outcry, combine Throwdown with something else.

No, this really needs to stay on its own - regardless of population.

> > Team Novelty (includes):
> >
> > Throwdown, Dominion,Objectives, Grifball etc all thrown into one list…the Central place for win/loss completive players.
>
> Ugh . . . no!
>
> Even though Throwdown is not hugely popular, it absolutely MUST remain as a separate playlist. And no, I don’t play it. But there needs to be a playlist with competitive settings and highly coordinated team play for those who want to play it. There is no other playlist like Throwdown, so it cannot be combined.
>
> If you want to see a vocal outcry, combine Throwdown with something else.
>
> No, this really needs to stay on its own - regardless of population.

This. Its not really cannibalizing from the other play lists, so its not like it affects the rest of the population negatively.