Skill may still be visible

I haven’t seen anything in the forums regarding what was said in the latest bulletin (11/1/12) so I thought I’d share it here if anyone hasn’t read it yet.

“We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.”

So it sounds like they are not completely leaving out the idea of an in-game visible rank but most likely you’ll have to look at your stats online to see it. I think they should do something like the Arena (but with no seasons) divisions but base it off of trueskill (halo 2 style though) so basically you have a bell curve of everyones rank and you assign certain percentiles a division. That way its based on how you compare to others and not solely your trueskill number.

Thoughts?

PR.

Nothing more.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

343 has not been doing enough for me to trust them to go through with things like this.

> I haven’t seen anything in the forums regarding what was said in the latest bulletin (11/1/12) so I thought I’d share it here if anyone hasn’t read it yet.
>
> “We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.”
>
> So it sounds like they are not completely leaving out the idea of an in-game visible rank but most likely you’ll have to look at your stats online to see it. I think they should do something like the Arena (but with no seasons) divisions but base it off of trueskill (halo 2 style though) so basically you have a bell curve of everyones rank and you assign certain percentiles a division. That way its based on how you compare to others and not solely your trueskill number.
>
> Thoughts?

Your idea is perfect unfortunately i dont think 343i really care. Once this is launched they will probably rake in their money and thatll be it imo.

> > I haven’t seen anything in the forums regarding what was said in the latest bulletin (11/1/12) so I thought I’d share it here if anyone hasn’t read it yet.
> >
> > “We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.”
> >
> > So it sounds like they are not completely leaving out the idea of an in-game visible rank but most likely you’ll have to look at your stats online to see it. I think they should do something like the Arena (but with no seasons) divisions but base it off of trueskill (halo 2 style though) so basically you have a bell curve of everyones rank and you assign certain percentiles a division. That way its based on how you compare to others and not solely your trueskill number.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Your idea is perfect unfortunately i dont think 343i really care. Once this is launched they will probably rake in their money and thatll be it imo.

That isn’t fair. 343i has obviously put a lot of work into this game. Now, it does irk me that they keep avoiding this issue. A lot of people want a visible ranking system so it would be nice if they’d give us an outright yes or no.

A lot of features that we’ve apparently taken for granted won’t be available at launch.

Halo reach 2. Get ready for another faulty “under the hood” skill system. Nail in the coffin!!

…Why do you people even care about the ranking system? The reason I play Halo isn’t to see some silly, unimportant numbers next to my name. It’s to have fun. F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me, N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea, you know what I mean? Some people need to grow the -Yoink- up and accept that in the end, TrueSkill or whatever doesn’t matter.

> …Why do you people even care about the ranking system? The reason I play Halo isn’t to see some silly, unimportant numbers next to my name. It’s to have fun. F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me, N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea, you know what I mean? Some people need to grow the -Yoink!- up and accept that in the end, TrueSkill or whatever doesn’t matter.

Nothing in the game matters in the longrun.

Some people have fun with ranks, both as a trophy and a sign of personal improvement.

> …Why do you people even care about the ranking system? The reason I play Halo isn’t to see some silly, unimportant numbers next to my name. It’s to have fun. F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me, N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea, you know what I mean? Some people need to grow the -Yoink!- up and accept that in the end, TrueSkill or whatever doesn’t matter.

Because the silly unimportant number was why Halo 3 had millions in population while Reach had tens of thousands. F is for fun, and I have fun improving and playing competitively, which is near impossible with no competitive games, and you need to grow up and know that games aren’t just about messing around in a virtual world.

> I’ll believe it when I see it.
>
> 343 has not been doing enough for me to trust them to go through with things like this.

Exactly

Lip service.

We have BPR. 343 has done that to Reach.

I don’t see why it’s not in Halo 4.

It’s actually logical: 343 say they are still taking our stats into account, but havent had everything released yet. This should mean that they’re integrating BPR for Halo 4 statistics, but that takes time, so they’ll record our stuff first.

They need something soon, before the game gets old enough for people to stop playing it (i.e. a couple weeks…)

343 said only 1% of the community cares about ranks. This statistic is so obviously B.S. Most of the people I talk to outside of the game about Halo end up talking about ranks, what level we each got to, etc. at some point in the conversation. Even still, though, 1% of the community that cares is still a lot of people that care.

I hate when they say Not-so-distant-future. Both Bungie and 343i used/use this when they have no idea when or if something will change but they don’t want the community in an uproar. That statement was just to try and calm people down, nothing more, nothing less. When I see an actual plan of action is the only time I will be convinced.

Ranks = fun factor
No Ranks = Reach

Don’t be a reachtard