Skill Based Matchmaking

So… it seems

“We will be matching people together according to their skill. It will be factored in far more than it ever was in Reach.” - @DavidEllis

https://twitter.com/TheHaloCouncil

It seems that Halo 4 will have a ranking system! <3

Edit: Also it seems there will show Halo 4 competitively here: http://www.twitch.tv/EGLHalo

3 things:

1. exact post here:

"Yes, we will be matching people together according to their skill. It will be factored in far more than it ever was in Reach. Don’t think I’m spilling secrets to say that Reach prioritized matching based on connection speed with skill levels a lower priority to ensure fast matching.
Because of our more focused playlist offerings (which we’re planning to update more frequently than previous games) our player pool will be much larger per playlist which should provide more consistent matching by skill AND connection speed." - David Ellis

1. It’s been well known for quite some time that there will be a greater emphasis on skill-based matchups across the board. This is good and a well-received idea, but it doesn’t address the concerns of a ranking system. This just means the trueskill on the backend will match you with similar-skilled players across all playlists. They did say that the ranking system is still in development though, so we’ll need more details on that.

2. 1,000th post WOOT!!!

ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 2.

> 3) 1,000th post WOOT!!!

Nice!

> ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 2.

Well i posted this for waypointers that were mad because of progression system. I know there has been true skill. Just wanted to help calm down people :slight_smile:

Nothing is still “far greater” than Reach.

Ever heard of it working? It hasn’t worked since it was created.

> > ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 2.
>
> Well i posted this for waypointers that were mad because of progression system. I know there has been true skill. Just wanted to help calm down people :slight_smile:

this information isn’t new, frankie posted over at neogaf months ago that they were working on improving true skill.

> ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 3.

FTFY :wink:

Playing Reach, you would never think such a thing existed. ;/

I mean you go to Halo 2 to…that.

> > ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 3.
>
> FTFY :wink:

i’m pretty sure halo 2 used some sort of true skill system, might have been something slightly different or what started true skill as we know it today.

> > > ever heard of true skill? its been in halo since halo 3.
> >
> > FTFY :wink:
>
> i’m pretty sure halo 2 used some sort of true skill system, might have been something slightly different or what started true skill as we know it today.

Halo 2 used an ELO ranking system.

I think everyone assumed that this would be in the game.

What people are waiting for is whether it is:

A: completely invisible
B: Only visible to yourself
C: Visible to everyone.

C is very unlikely.

> Nothing is still “far greater” than Reach.

I think Halo 4 has greatly improved upon all aspects of Reach while adding in more features as well…

Skill based matchmaking does not mean a skill based ranking system. It’s already been confirmed that the primary ranking system is entirely progression based.

However, a progression rank system does not mean that strict-trueskill cannot work in the background to match similarly-skill players (as many games do).

> > Nothing is still “far greater” than Reach.
>
> I think Halo 4 has greatly improved upon all aspects of Reach while adding in more features as well…

According to many people. They says halo 4 plays like 3 with a mix of reach. That’s amazing. <3

> I think everyone assumed that this would be in the game.
>
> What people are waiting for is whether it is:
>
> A: completely invisible
> B: Only visible to yourself
> C: Visible to everyone.
>
> C is very unlikely.

What’s wrong with B?
Or A even?

> > I think everyone assumed that this would be in the game.
> >
> > What people are waiting for is whether it is:
> >
> > A: completely invisible
> > B: Only visible to yourself
> > C: Visible to everyone.
> >
> > C is very unlikely.
>
> What’s wrong with B?
> Or A even?

I didn’t critique any of them. All I said was C is probably not going to happen.