Since when has 30k players meant "Dying"?

I keep seeing these topics over and over again

“Halo is dead”

“population is so low.”

Clearly this board has no idea of what a “Low” population is.

I can recognize the entire Mass Effect 3 Wii U Multiplayer players BY NAME. That, is low.

30k+ players on a tuesday afternoon is not low, it’s bigger than the town I live in. Reaching nearly 40k+ population at peak hours is also not low.

Being the 4th most played game on Xbox Live is not low. Having over 8,000 players in a single playlist is not low.

Having over 3000 players for a gametype that involves wacking each other with clubs, is not low.

I’m just curious as to what others games this forum thinks has low populations?

H4 having 80k players in it’s earlier life compare to now with 30k. You could technically say it’s dying(50k loss). If it’s stable now, you could say it was dying.

For population topics you should use the Daily Halo 4 Population Thread-Click Here

> H4 having 80k players in it’s earlier life compare to now with 30k. You could technically say it’s dying(50k loss). If it’s stable now, you could say it was dying.

That could easily be based off of just time though. By using that logic Call of Duty Black Ops 2 has decresed by 75% going from 1,000,000 to 250,000 players.

> <mark>Since when has 30k players meant “Dying”?</mark>

Since Halo 3 held down roughly 10x that amount for years after it was released.

Since the way Halo 4 turned out, it has, and still is, turning a lot of people off of buying the next game.

Since Halo has always been a multiplayer-centric game, so you can’t really even compare it to games like Mass Effect in the first place. (Not to mention, in case you haven’t noticed, ME3 was vastly disappointing.)

And since, even if it’s not bad compared to other games, it’s still bad for Halo. In fact, that one sentence right there pretty much sums up every legitimate complaint ever made against Halo 4.

People use the “Halo is dead” and the “population is low” argument because Halo 4 isn’t what they want it to be and not many people are online as they were back in Halo 3.

However in other forums like Gears of War: Judgement (which is sitting at #12 on total XBL activity), no one is complaining that GoW is dead or the population is low.

In all the past Halo games 30k is low and dying as in the halo community is getting smaller and smaller. It dropped down after Reach came out and now it’s going down even more with Halo 4. As a franchise the game is dying down and not the hype it used to have.

If you’re comparing it to other games what are out right now it’s doing pretty damn good being the #6 game played on xbox 360, sure it’s not in the top 3 like past Halos but still being in the top 10 is good and you’re getting a steady stream of players playing the game. The game will be played by a lot of people because it has Halo in the name but as a Halo game it’s not good.

If I can find a game though in a timely fashion i’m good doesn’t matter is 90k is on or 30k is on.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/totalpopulation/all

Because it is dying.

> People use the “Halo is dead” and the “population is low” argument because Halo 4 isn’t what they want it to be and not many people are online as they were back in Halo 3.
>
> However in other forums like Gears of War: Judgement (which is sitting at #12 on total XBL activity), no one is complaining that GoW is dead or the population is low.

Halo isn’t dead but it is dying. If it wasn’t then I’m sorry that dying isn’t a degenerative term in your book.

Dear do tell me when the game is sitting at a max daily population of 10k or lower about how the game is playable in matchmaking on a normal internet connection.

xbox version of 2k13: 2 million copies sold
halo 4: over 7 million copies sold

fail

Come on buddy… When the population drops from hundreds of thousands to 30k a few months after release it’s dying. If people were red blood cells it would be dead.

If you have played past Halo’s, you know that every game maintained a few hundred thousand a year or years after release…and not because of zero competition, COD was there since release of the system technically. Reach still had 60 to 80k population all the way up until the release of Halo 4… Think about that… More people would still be playing Reach if Halo 4 was never released…GoW was never a major player in online multiplayer IMO but more of a campaign co op.

It’s undeniable. I don’t like the situation as Halo was always my favorite, but the game is subpar to me in terms of a Halo standard so I understand how we got here. I don’t have to like it but no one can deny it.

> xbox version of 2k13:2 million copies sold
> halo 4:over 7 million copies sold
>
> fail

Thank you.

> http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/totalpopulation/all
>
> Because it is dying.

I hate when people throw this graph around like it means anything.
When you can get me a graph of UNIQUE USERS per day then I will admit that it is dying. The number of UUs every day has to be well in the 100 if not 200k.

> I keep seeing these topics over and over again
>
> “Halo is dead”
>
> “population is so low.”
>
>
> Clearly this board has no idea of what a “Low” population is.
>
> I can recognize the entire Mass Effect 3 Wii U Multiplayer players BY NAME. That, is low.
>
>
> 30k+ players on a tuesday afternoon is not low, it’s bigger than the town I live in. Reaching nearly 40k+ population at peak hours is also not low.
>
> Being the 4th most played game on Xbox Live is not low. Having over 8,000 players in a single playlist is not low.
>
> Having over 3000 players for a gametype that involves wacking each other with clubs, is not low.
>
>
>
> I’m just curious as to what others games this forum thinks has low populations?

Halo 4 dropped to 6th actually and is probably going to be lower this month and low population means longer search times in less populated playlists. Also 30K is not impressive for a AAA title that sold over 9 million copies.

People are having an existential crisis over the population counts. My opinion is, can I get a game consistently? Since the answer is yes then I’m not worried about it.

> > http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/totalpopulation/all
> >
> > Because it is dying.
>
> I hate when people throw this graph around like it means anything.
> When you can get me a graph of UNIQUE USERS per day then I will admit that it is dying. The number of UUs every day has to be well in the 100 if not 200k.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/01/live-activity-for-week-of-april-22nd/ there you go, it’s dying dropped to 6th faster than any previous halo game and has less people playing than a game that sold only 2.4m copies.

Population was 400k at the beginning, a month later it dropped down to approximately 160k players.
By January it dropped to around 135k, Feb around 75k, March 50k, April 45k, and this month so far approx. 30k. 30k players is quite a bit of people, yet compared to the population Halo 4 started off with…it’s very low.

Now i never imagined i would be saying this, the population reflects the quality of the Halo experience, even Reach, held around 60-100k for most of its time as far as im aware and i hear halo 3 peaks at 20k on occasion ot atleast has 10k online a day how many years after release. 30k is low for a halo game

hmmm. so to what games did all these players go? halo is hands down the most fun, skill demanding, intense, strategic, tactical, and team oriented shooter on the market. kinda confused.

Dead, no. Dying, not really. It’s hurting though, but things are improving.