Simpler Forge

I’m happy that 343 did add in forge, however it is very difficult to do anything with it unless you’ve got a lot of practice with the new system. My main issue with that is unlike in Reach, there are no premade structures! It may seem like a simple issue but it would make forging in Halo 5 much less exhausting, and irritating to play with.

Yeah, I gave up. I dropped walls in the water and I could not grab them, The lower I went to grab my spark would blow up.
Moving along I tried to copy and snap walls, they would be just a hair off… just enough to irritate me. I will be looking up youtube videos in the future.

There’s a learning curve.
Absolutely.

But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.

As for not having premade buildings and such, stay tuned:
I am pretty sure in the next update, or so, (If I understand the scraps of info I’ve pieced together) we will be getting a system where you, or anyone, can create assets (like a sniper tower, or a decorative bridge, or whatever) and then group it, weld it, and NAME IT AND SAVE IT, as an object, independent of the map, and these files will be able to be be shared on the new File Browser on waypoint.

So yeah- hang tight: you’ll get your “Simpler Forge”,
(Where you can make your map out of other people’s buildings, etc.)
…if that’s what you mean.

Being a small forger, barely posting much, Iv’e been almost instantly turned off by the complexity of Halo 5’s Forge.

Really that’s a good thing though, it’s complex. I just need to dedicate time to studying how to use it XD

tl;dr It’s tricky at first, but in the long run it’s easier than previous forge versions, and much more capable.

Honestly, Forge is as complex as you’re willing to make it.

  • Don’t like magnets? Disable them. - Don’t like coordinate snapping? Disable it. - Don’t like rotation snapping? Disable it. - Don’t like scripting? Don’t use it. - If you DO like any of the above, enable them as you’d please.There is, however, a limited set of core functions that you need to be able to use. Moving is pretty standard, with the exception of the a/b buttons being used to move down/up. Object movement and rotation is easier than ever, allowing you to move around the objects without them moving with you. That being said, the control scheme is different. But being gamers, we have to adapt to new control schemes every few months, and we’re often happy to do so for the sake of playing the new game / mode.

Scripting is tough if you’re not used to logic / programming, but it’s meant for the more advanced users. Seriously, even as a software engineer I have to sit down with paper and pencil and draw out diagrams for my more complex script designs.

Object coloring is easy if you do it right. Just be sure to use the globally defined map colors, rather than manually setting the colors for every individual object.

Magnets are evil. Avoid using them.

> 2533274793894872;5:
> tl;dr It’s tricky at first, but in the long run it’s easier than previous forge versions, and much more capable.
>
> Honestly, Forge is as complex as you’re willing to make it.
>
> - Don’t like magnets? Disable them.
> - Don’t like coordinate snapping? Disable it.
> - Don’t like rotation snapping? Disable it.
> - Don’t like scripting? Don’t use it.
> - If you DO like any of the above, enable them as you’d please.
> There is, however, a limited set of core functions that you need to be able to use. Moving is pretty standard, with the exception of the a/b buttons being used to move down/up. Object movement and rotation is easier than ever, allowing you to move around the objects without them moving with you. That being said, the control scheme is different. But being gamers, we have to adapt to new control schemes every few months, and we’re often happy to do so for the sake of playing the new game / mode.
>
> Scripting is tough if you’re not used to logic / programming, but it’s meant for the more advanced users. Seriously, even as a software engineer I have to sit down with paper and pencil and draw out diagrams for my more complex script designs.
>
> Object coloring is easy if you do it right. Just be sure to use the globally defined map colors, rather than manually setting the colors for every individual object.
>
> Magnets are evil. Avoid using them.

Why are magnets evil? They make lining up blocks so much faster.

I thought Reach’s forge was bad at first too. You just got to get used to the changes and you’ll realize it’s better than the past games.

> 2784591733887633;3:
> There’s a learning curve.
> Absolutely.
>
> But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
> And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.

Sorry, but I’ve already learned Forge once. Now I have to learn it again? Erm, no.

Have you guys seen some of the stuff people are creating with this forge? Especially with scripting? A working wipe-out map, mini games with pigs, It’s amazing. All stuff that was impossible in Reach. I mean, someone made a Rapture map, I don’t what the hell this thing is, but it’s possible, which is crazy, then there’s Alien Invasion … I certainly don’t want this to be any simpler. They went above and beyond and finally created a complex proper map editor which is something many forgers have been wanting for ages.

> 2533274841696107;8:
> > 2784591733887633;3:
> > There’s a learning curve.
> > Absolutely.
> >
> > But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
> > And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.
>
>
> Sorry, but I’ve already learned Forge once. Now I have to learn it again? Erm, no.

Then shut up because we like it and many forgers like it. Just because you can’t even try to learn it doesn’t mean it’s bad. Also, don’t you think it’s a little too late?

> 2533274841696107;8:
> > 2784591733887633;3:
> > There’s a learning curve.
> > Absolutely.
> >
> > But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
> > And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.
>
>
> Sorry, but I’ve already learned Forge once. Now I have to learn it again? Erm, no.

That’s what my dad said about smartphones. Actually, he’s said that about every new technology that’s come along. “I’ve already leaned how to use the last one, why do we need new ones?” He would have been the guy still insisting on riding a horse in the 1930s. lol. He’s always behind. Regressive minded. It’s always “green eggs and ham” with him, once we gave him an iphone and he played around on it for a while, he couldn’t remember why he insisted on keeping the old flip phone for 15 years.

> 2533274883669557;11:
> > 2533274841696107;8:
> > > 2784591733887633;3:
> > > There’s a learning curve.
> > > Absolutely.
> > >
> > > But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
> > > And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.
> >
> >
> > Sorry, but I’ve already learned Forge once. Now I have to learn it again? Erm, no.
>
>
> That’s what my dad said about smartphones. Actually, he’s said that about every new technology that’s come along. “I’ve already leaned how to use the last one, why do we need new ones?” He would have been the guy still insisting on riding a horse in the 1930s. lol. He’s always behind. Regressive minded. It’s always “green eggs and ham” with him, once we gave him an iphone and he played around on it for a while, he couldn’t remember why he insisted on keeping the old flip phone for 15 years.

I’m currently a phone salesman by trade, and I feel like I know your dad lol. I’ve encountered that type quite a bit.

> 2533274803493024;12:
> > 2533274883669557;11:
> > > 2533274841696107;8:
> > > > 2784591733887633;3:
> > > > There’s a learning curve.
> > > > Absolutely.
> > > >
> > > > But once you learn it, it’s learned, and easy as ever to create great maps…even easier, really.
> > > > And so much deeper and richer with the new possibilities.
> > >
> > >
> > > Sorry, but I’ve already learned Forge once. Now I have to learn it again? Erm, no.
> >
> >
> > That’s what my dad said about smartphones. Actually, he’s said that about every new technology that’s come along. “I’ve already leaned how to use the last one, why do we need new ones?” He would have been the guy still insisting on riding a horse in the 1930s. lol. He’s always behind. Regressive minded. It’s always “green eggs and ham” with him, once we gave him an iphone and he played around on it for a while, he couldn’t remember why he insisted on keeping the old flip phone for 15 years.
>
>
> I’m currently a phone salesman by trade, and I feel like I know your dad lol. I’ve encountered that type quite a bit.

That story’s not even true. My dad had a smartphone before me. He’s in his 60s and just bought a smart Bluray player and a new tablet. He’s a tech-nerd, always has been. Got me into gaming in the late 80s when I was 4 years old with his old Atari and two full cabinet-sized arcade games he had in the garage (Asteroids and Vanguard). I just made up that little anecdote to make a point. lol. But I too know plenty of people like that.