Silentium, Requiem, and the Prometheans

Has anyone here ever noticed that the titles of the Forerunner Saga novels seem to link up together?
-Cryptum - Latin for Crypt.
-Primordium - Beginning, Start, Origin.
-Silentium - Quietness, Silence, Stillness, Repose.
It starts with the Crypt, and ends with the dead.

Requiem, by the Roman Catholic Church definition, is the Mass celebrated for the repose of the souls of the dead. In Halo 4, the shield installation’s name may be roughly translated to a sanctuary for the souls of the dead. If Requiem is the final resting place of Forerunner warriors, the arrival of the Master Chief and the Infinity alerts the warriors and sets in motion the events of the Reclaimer Saga. Consider this when looking at Theory # 2 below.

In the post-E3 Sparkast, Frank O’Connor made several statements that significantly alter my understanding of the Prometheans from the Forerunner novels. Read the quotes below, followed by my analysis.

Quote #1
“Prometheans are a race of warrior knights within the forerunner society. The things that you think you know about that class in the books may evolve or change as you play the game. They are Forerunner Warrior-Servants…they are super powerful warriors… they were mostly outfitted and trained and ultimately in some ways designed genetically and mechanically to fight the Flood."

Quote #2
“The Prometheans are covered in the Greg Bear novels, from Cryptum, Primordium, and soon, Silentium. Their role or class is part of the Halo 4 story. Bluntly, the final chapter of that novel comes out after the game for a very good reason because some of that is revealed there.”

Additional quote from the Promethean Knight character description:
“While these Prometheans are significantly different from the legendary Forerunner Warrior-Servants of ages past, these Knights are no less harrowing.”

The things that you think you know about that class in the books may evolve or changeSomething VERY dramatic must occur in Silentium in order to properly explain this evolution of the Prometheans. The legendary Promethean Class Warrior-Servants of ages past were organic, living, extremely lethal Forerunner warriors. To my knowledge, the original Prometheans were not “designed” or “mechanical”. Bornstellar described the Prometheans as over 4 meters tall, with arms the size of tree trunks. Promethean was the title given to a Forerunner Warrior-Servant who reached the highest warrior mutation possible. Prometheans were significantly larger and more powerful than average warrior-servants, and described to be vastly different than these mechanical warriors in Halo 4 that carry on their title. Because of this vast difference between the new and the original, I have developed several theories in an attempt to understand this new interpretation of the Prometheans.

Theory #1
One theory is that this new rate of Promethean classes are a mixture of AI, non-AI, and non-organic. Cortana clearly recognizes the Crawlers as Non-Organic Defense AI. However, when the Master Chief is confronted by the Knight, Cortana can only say “Whatever it is, it’s not organic”. She may be having difficulty determining what exactly the Knight is, or what is powering it. This by extension may suggest that Knight is also non-AI, classifying the Knight as both non-AI and non-organic.

Theory #2
It is highly possible that the original Prometheans and Warrior-Servants were infected during the Forerunner-Flood War, and the Didact used the Composer to insert the mind, or soul if you will, of infected Forerunners into this new rate of mechanical Prometheans tasked with defending the shield world installations. Mysteriously, Requiem is defined as the Mass celebrated for the repose of the souls of the dead. The Knights may be classified as under Forerunner control, non-AI, and non-organic. A single Promethean may be able to remotely control an entire army of these mechanical warriors. This is one possible explanation why this new rate of mechanical warriors earn the title of Promethean.

Evidence: Part of the Didact’s motives in saving Installation 07 was to save all possible biological specimens, including those infected by the Flood who had stayed loyal to the Council during the rule of Mendicant Bias and had continued to serve even in their infected state. In Primordium, the Didact transferred Chakas’ mind from his damaged body into a stable condition where he could continue to serve the Didact and the Librarian. It can be assumed that this same process could be performed on the infected Forerunners, preserving their minds in a form (Halo 4 Prometheans) where they could continue to serve the Didact. They would serve him in life and in death.

In addition, pay attention to the official description of the Crawlers, Watchers, and Knights here. The Crawlers are described as machines, the Watchers as sentinels, and the Knights as residents. The Knights have been described as residents, warriors, and commanders…all descriptions that would normally be attached to an individual.

Theory #3
The previous theories also provide evidence for why some Promethean classes incinerate, and some do not. The classes that can be infected by the flood incinerate, and the classes that cannot be infected by the flood simply cease functioning. The Crawlers are Non-Organic Defense AI, designed to combat the flood in close quarters combat, and cannot be infected. If theorizing correctly, the Knights are both non-organic and non-AI, but the Flood may still be able to infect the composed consciousness or durance of the Forerunner Warrior. This may explain why the Knights incinerate upon death.

Theory #4
The Forerunner weapons and armor used by the Prometheans also are designed in order to combat the Flood. The weapons that we have seen so far (Light Rifle, Scattershot) both incinerate the target upon death. In my opinion, this was clearly a design implemented in order to permanently remove any trace of organic tissue. The Promethean Knight’s armor also seems to have a similar design. Even when the Knight is killed by human weaponry as seen in the E3 trailer, it incinerates, completely removing any trace of the Promethean. If the Knight were simply an autonomous Forerunner defensive construct, like the Crawler and Watcher, why would it incinerate upon death by any type of weaponry? There must be more to it.

I take issue with Frankie recognizing this new rate of Prometheans as the original. These new Prometheans are clearly a new beast altogether, designed specifically to combat the flood, but Frankie directly compares them to the legendary Prometheans of ages past in the quotes above.

Discuss.

Credit to Deva Path, Solis Argentum, DecepticonCobra, and many others for contributing to the development of the theories within this thread.

I thought 343/Frankie recently said that they are automation’s that react to use differently because they weren’t created to fight the covenant or Reclaimers.

I wouldn’t trust What cortana says when it comes to forerunner tech, I have my doubts about them being pure AI’s as there was a skull.

They were made to fight the flood, and that seems to show in their design. ex: the crawlers seem perfect to hunt down and chomp on infection forms with their pincers.

I’m guessing they are called prometheans because the prometheans oversaw their design and they were used by the prometheans to fight the flood. They might have another link to the prometheans, like dead/dying prometheans were put into the knights by the composer. I do not understand why they need those midget arms. Or artificial faces. Or artificial skulls. Or why they make all sorts of animal like noises. If they were fighting the flood, this emotionless fearless blob of flesh and thought, all those things seems completely pointless. You can’t “scare” a zombie.

Frankie did say something along the lines of “it seems like they’re being controlled remotely”. So maybe the prometheans are all in cryptums or something and controlling them remotely. Or something. So many questions. I hope 343 has a good reason. There has been entirely too much “fragmenting” used as a plot device.

> I do not understand why they need those midget arms. Or artificial faces. Or artificial skulls. Or why they make all sorts of animal like noises.

Hence why i said don’t trust cortana’s statement. Iffy on the flood statement as it seems they were created to fight the evil we haven’t seen.

I think in recent 343 podcast, Frankie basically outright said they were made to fight the flood. But I’d have to listen again to get the exact quote.

> I think in recent 343 podcast, Frankie basically outright said they were made to fight the flood. But I’d have to listen again to get the exact quote.

That exact quote is in my original post. These Promethean classes were all designed to combat the flood. I find the Promethean Knight the most interesting, as Frankie seems to directly compare the Knight to the legendary warrior-servants of ages past. All of these theories may just be that, theories. The Knight could be non-organic, but somehow, still alive…

Don’t even bother. I myself don’t listen to them because i don’t feel like wasting time hearing non critical information so i’ll take your word for it.

They really need to do transcripts for those things.

> I thought 343/Frankie recently said that they are automation’s that react to use differently because they weren’t created to fight the covenant or Reclaimers.
>
> I wouldn’t trust What cortana says when it comes to forerunner tech, I have my doubts about them being pure AI’s as there was a skull.

I doubt that the Promethean Knights are AI at all. I think the consciousness of a fallen Promethean was inserted into the Promethean Knight design.

My beef right now is that since they seem to have no physical similarities to the prometheans of old…why call them prometheans? Did 343 run out of cool names? Unless the explanation for them being called prometheans is reallllllly good, it seems silly to not just think up a whole new name for them.

There has been no shortage of plot devices seemingly solely for the purpose of having some connection to gameplay. Two didacts. AI fragments - with Reach, with Chakas/spark (seemingly just to give Tim Dadabo a role in future Halos). Why not just design the characters properly from the start?

> > I thought 343/Frankie recently said that they are automation’s that react to use differently because they weren’t created to fight the covenant or Reclaimers.
> >
> > I wouldn’t trust What cortana says when it comes to forerunner tech, I have my doubts about them being pure AI’s as there was a skull.
>
> I doubt that the Promethean Knights are AI at all. I think the consciousness of a fallen Promethean was inserted into the Promethean Knight design.

so after reading the quote i am assuming the Forerunners made some techo organic warriors to fight the flood.

From a halo standpoint that is just disgusting but from a personal standpoint that is…interesting.

> My beef right now is that since they seem to have no physical similarities to the prometheans of old…why call them prometheans? Did 343 run out of cool names? Unless the explanation for them being called prometheans is reallllllly good, it seems silly to not just think up a whole new name for them.

Well one of them knocked the chief (armor that weights a ton) A good 5 feet back with one swing.

I agree, they SEEM powerful enough, but to me, it’s kind of insulting to the original prometheans - giant badass ORGANIC warrior-servants, REAL forerunners, to be compared to these machines things with silly retractable faces, silly (and seemingly useless) midget arms, and loud shrieking animal voices. They just seem plain un-forerunner like minus the technology they wield.

Anyways, there are apparently 7 new enemies and we’ve only seen 3. Maybe one of them will be a real promethean.

They have been implying that well will play as something else in MP than elites so anything is up. If there are actual Prometheans we really shouldn’t fight them as chief would lose instantly.

I agree, unless they were a really special event. Not a boss per se but…maybe akin to a scarab.

Its amazing seeing you two have a civilized discussion and agreement. This truly must be something then.

OT: I have to wonder why we have a concept image of a Promethean when these things are called Prometheans. I believe we may actually see actual flesh, blood’n’bone forerunners. I agree that IF we do fight them (Which I hope we won’t) it should be a rare event.

Well Forerunners had a habit of mutating themselves into a variety of forms designed for various purposes. The Prometheans we’ve encountered in the books haven’t been designed to fight the Flood and being four meters of consumable organic tissue probably isn’t the best idea for combating such a threat.

These new Prometheans are supposedly an anti-Flood design and the Knights especially have quite a few oddities. Mostly the ridiculously stubby arms. Something about their design seems less practical and purely machine-like then the other Promethean defense forces.

The skull thing also seems pointless for combating the Flood unless it was some way they thought they could mock the Gravemind or something… I mean even if it contains recordings from the dying moments of Prometheans or whatever it still raises the question of why it would be included if they were intended to fight the Flood?

Unless they were intended to do more eventually…

I mean the Forerunner don’t really seem the type to build a weapon to destroy all life in the Galaxy including themselves, especially not the Master Builder who designed the Halos. And we know they had a way to convert organic life into Flood incompatible machines…

So maybe these Promethean Knights are some form of converted Forerunners with still many others… And that Cryptum in the video that behaved nothing like the Cryptums we’ve read about might be something more like the housing of the stored personality of the original Didact…

were are you gettig all of your information on this stuff?

> were are you gettig all of your information on this stuff?

The most recent Sparkast released by 343, the Halo 4 E3 Presentation, and the first two books of the Forerunner Saga (Cryptum and Primordium). This thread is an attempt to connect the dots through well thought out theories based on the Halo canon.

While I do quote several lines from the Sparkast, as that is the newest revelation on the Prometheans, I do not directly quote lines from Cortana in the E3 Presentation or lines from characters in the Forerunner Saga (although you can find exactly what I am referencing by watching the presentation again or by reading the Forerunner Saga).

> I agree, unless they were a really special event. Not a boss per se but…maybe akin to a scarab.

The underlying problem is that we should not be fighting the Prometheans at all. While a real Promethean would make a challenging boss battle in the context of an FPS, the Prometheans should not be the real enemy. Frankie even stated in the most recent bulletin that the ancient evil has not yet been revealed.

I believe the Precursors, set on vengeance and annihilation of the Forerunners, are the true enemy of the Reclaimer Saga. The Forerunners believed it was their duty to uphold the mantle, but it was never so. The Precursors, creators of both Forerunners and Humans and viewed as gods, decided to annihilate the Forerunners. The Forerunners fought back against their gods, and apparently won, destroying most Precursors except for a few that escaped beyond their reach. Although there is very little information on the actual events of the Forerunner-Precursor war, it can be assumed that the Precursors are going to return in some form to finish the job of annihilating the Forerunners.

The Timeless One also states that Humanity is next to be tested. It is a possibility that a new threat will be introduced in Halo 4 that will serve both as a weapon to annihilate the Forerunners,AND as Humanity’s test to uphold the mantle…

Oh I completely agree. If I had it my way, there wouldn’t even be speculation of the didact being the enemy unless to confuse people as to who the real enemy is. The promethean name wouldn’t even be applied to this new enemy type. This new forerunner warrior mech would simply have a new name, so as not to hold all the connotations that promethean does. When I think promethean I think a super high class forerunner warrior servant loyal to the Didact. I think of something akin to spartans: so elite and “rare” that there’s no way there’d be enough of them to be a new enemy.

Somehow these promethean AIs need to be an enemy even if didact is not. They’ll also likely be one of, if not the main sandbox enemy for the rest of the trilogy, so they have to be active and dangerous even if didact is not. The name promethean holds so many connections to Didact that it’s hard to imagine what plot device they’ll use to make them enemies for 3 games worth of time. If the universal threat will be using them as a mainstay in their army…which they will, 343 wouldnt make a brand new unique enemy just to throw out after a game…somehow they need to be loyal to this threat. And there has to be LOT of them. If the knights really do contain the souls of real prometheans or whatnot, there couldn’t really be that many of them, eh? Prometheans were rare. It’s like fighting humans and decinding to make spartan-IVs the main enemy. Sure they’re worthy enemies, but there aint nearly enough of them to to be threatening the universe or to be killing for 3 games.

ramble ramble ramble. Why not just call them forerunner defense drones or something?

I agree. If 343 takes a similar approach to Bungie with enemy continuity in The Reclaimer Saga, they somehow have to continue the Prometheans as a threat through Halo 4, 5, and 6.

I agree that when I think Prometheans, I think Forerunner Special Operations (similar to the Spartan Program). Additionally, when I think Prometheans, the Forerunner novels do not lead me to believe that they are an entire class of warriors consisting of several types and variations (Crawler, Watcher, Knight, the other 4 types…). The only warrior type that I consider comparable to an original Promethean is the Knight, which is why the majority of the topic of this thread is directed towards the Knight.

343 said something in a Bulletin awhile ago that concerns me. They said something along the lines of “The Master Chief will meet his first true nemesis”. To me, this directly hints that we will be facing an individual, whoever that individual may be (Didact, Faber, someone else).

Unless 343 plans to make The Didact Master Chief’s main nemesis through the entire Reclaimer Saga, I’m not sure what story element will allow the Prometheans to remain the enemy for the next three games…