Shouldn't take 3 headshots to kill a grunt...

Why must I fire 3 rounds into a grunt’s head to kill him with a BR? That wastes most of your ammo, and I don’t know anyone who wantonly throws away 2/3 of their bullets for no reason.

If they make a game with 1-hit-kill headshots, then let me fire 1 bullet at a time, please. Don’t be rude by forcing me to shoot every grunt three times if they only have 1/3 that much health to begin with.

Listen, the Xbox360 controllers have analogue triggers that know how fat the trigger button is depressed: just let a gentle trigger pull fire off a single round, and have a strong trigger squeeze fire off a 3-round burst.

That should make everybody happy.

Everybody.

It depends on if the Grunt is wearing a helmet or not. That’s what helmets do, protect from headshots. If you find a Grunt without a helmet, he’ll die in one headshot, if he doesn’t, it’s a glitch.

> Why must I fire 3 rounds into a grunt’s head to kill him with a BR? That wastes most of your ammo, and I don’t know anyone who wantonly throws away 2/3 of their bullets for no reason.
>
> If they make a game with 1-hit-kill headshots, then let me fire 1 bullet at a time, please. Don’t be rude by forcing me to shoot every grunt three times if they only have 1/3 that much health to begin with.
>
> Listen, the Xbox360 controllers have analogue triggers that know how fat the trigger button is depressed: just let a gentle trigger pull fire off a single round, and have a strong trigger squeeze fire off a 3-round burst.
>
> That should make everybody happy.
>
> Everybody.

You make a very valid point, especially when ammo’s an issue. However, what can you do?

The Halo 2 Beta BR is the best of both worlds. It’s a three shot when scoped-out, one shot each pull when scoped-in. It’s like having a BR on the outside, DMR on the inside. That’s the best of both worlds.

I’m incredibly confused, Grunts are one bullet headshot kills in all Halo Games, with any precision weapon.

Unless they are wearing the white mask, which makes it TWO headshots on ANY difficulty I believe.

EDIT: This topic got moved from General, to Halo: Reach, to here.

That’s why I’m confused, apologies.

> It depends on if the Grunt is wearing a helmet or not. That’s what helmets do, protect from headshots. If you find a Grunt without a helmet, he’ll die in one headshot, if he doesn’t, it’s a glitch.

I believe he means how the BR automatically shoots three bullets no matter what situation. If you have a grunt without a helmet, it only takes one bullet to kill, he’s saying that you automatically waste two bullets.

Apologies, I now see what you are talking about. You are addressing the BR as a three round burst weapon. I don’t know if this is something 343 can address, as Bungie made that decision several years ago. In Halo 2 and 3 you could switch to a Carbine, pistol, or other single shot weapon to kill Grunts in one shot.

> Apologies, I now see what you are talking about. You are addressing the BR as a three round burst weapon. I don’t know if this is something 343 can address, as Bungie made that decision several years ago. In Halo 2 and 3 you could switch to a Carbine, pistol, or other single shot weapon to kill Grunts in one shot.

Again, Halo 2 Beta BR.

Wonder why they scraped it. Would love for that to be the norm in Halo 4.

I liked early BR as well. The extra buttons on the D-Pad could have been used as a rate of fire selector, I wonder if cutting this feature was one of the many victims of the time restraint.

You can also interrupt the burst after having fired a single round by meleeing. Not very convenient, but at least it preserves ammo. ^^

If they have a helmet then it should take longer to kill imo.

Actually, I think I’d like this moved to the Halo 4 forum because that’s kinda what I’m aiming for here (although it’s a matter discussed in many threads in the General Discussion forum).

To be as specific as possible, I think Halo 4 should feature a select-fire 7.62mm rifle that can shoot single shots and 3-round bursts, AND
implement a simple, intuitive control scheme that does not require mapping this fire-selector feature to a button that is otherwise in-use, AND
not worry if this affects continuity because we all know the in-game fighting schemes and weapons change as the games get updated over time.

It should be easy.

You do know you can fire only 1 BR bullet by meleeing right?

But yeah, it would be nice if the BR had 2 firing modes.

I don’t really like the idea of BR bullet firing being determined by trigger press. Think about how it is difficult to get the plasma pistol to normal state after holding an overcharge. You have to carefully release the trigger to make the overcharge go away.

And also think about how the Xbox 360 controller isn’t that great and can easily break.

In my opinion, if your idea was implemented, it should be an option rather than built in. Unless, of course, we’re talking about BR variants: 2 BRs that share the same kind of ammo but have different firing modes

Edit:

There’s also a glitch you can do if you have marines or Elites still alive. Empty the BR’s clip, give it to ally, take it back and you have the ammo you had previously.