Should the aliens speak in another langauge

I think they should, I like how they did it with Reach and CE, to me it just felt a little ridiculous when they spoke english

They should but they dont

If it’s a brand new species/enemy (which it probably will be) then yes, I think they should. The only reason the Elite started talking English was because of the whole Arbiter/Elite story in Halo 2, which I prefered to be honest. I didn’t like how Bungie went back to thier own languages in Reach, especially with the Grunts.

But if it’s a new enemy then yes, definitley, especially if they want them to be scary/menacing.

Edit: Also, there is a reason some Covenant forces speak English:

Edict of the Office of the High Prophet of Tolerance
Hear now that five hundred teams are to be formed
to study the language of the Unclean. Each team to
consist of the most clever and most educated
Unggoy and Sangheili. These teams to speak only
the Unclean language among themselves. The
Unclean language to be taught to all military strike
team, that the foe shall be vulnerable.

Like many others have said, it depends. If for some reason we are facing the Covenant again, then english is plausible seeing as the war has been going for so long. If it’s a new enemy they should have a native language and maybe the higher commands (if there are any) could pick up on very slight English by the end of the game.

The “Wort, wort, wort” dialogue of the elites in CE was fun. Aliens who speak English seem somewhat less strange and threatening.

Yeah its a tricky one… When we played as the Arbiter it was necessary for them to speak english, as telling a story in subtitles isn’t everyones cup of tea. I wouldn’t have minded it in subtitles but I understand why they went with english.

Some of these things are just unavoidable with storytelling. Just like with any science fiction there are always compromises made to the universe in order to make storytelling easier.

I hope that they speak in some alien language and that they have captions added so you can tell what they’re saying during cut scences.

The UNSC learned the Covenant language. You can see this in Halo 2 when they come across a message from the Prophet of Regret, who’s speaking in his own language, and Cortana stops Chief so that she can translate it.

If it’s a new alien species then we wouldn’t have learned their language. Although there can be some reason as to why we can understand them. For example, the alien species might have a resistance group the Chief joins up in and they translate their language to Cortana.

Sure, how about Portuguese?

IMO an enemy that I can’t understand is someone I just don’t care about. If I don’t understand there might as well be no dialogue. In Halo 3 I loved killing the grunts and there dialogue showed they were cowards, while when I fought the brutes it showed and reflected their recklessness. Sure not understanding them might make them seem scarier but I’ve never really been “afraid” of an elite. Not in CE and not In Halo 2.

[deleted]

> The events of Halo 1-3 took only 2 months I think. So it really doesn’t make sense that we’re able to understand them in Halo 2, but not Halo CE.

They explained this in first strike. Cortana disassembled a covenant AI and found its translation software which she then used to decipher several covenant messages.

[deleted]

Which aliens? the Forerunners, Precursors, or Covenant?

well the translators already translate covenant, but the new enemy is unknown so at least for a period they should speak in their language until the language is deciphered

No, after Reach they learn English. Besides THIS IS AMERICA said with southern accent HOME OF THE BRAVE AND LAND OF THE FREE. HERE YOU SPEAK ENGLISH AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT YOU CAN GET OUT!

> Like many others have said, it depends. If for some reason we are facing the Covenant again, then english is plausible seeing as the war has been going for so long. If it’s a new enemy they should have a native language and maybe the higher commands (if there are any) could pick up on very slight English by the end of the game.

make them talk by clicking

They spoke english in CE. The elites may say things like wort wort but they also say “No!!!” and “You will bow to me”, and I dont see how you didnt notice grunts speaking english in CE either.

Well. Far as we know the Flood know the English language (Because of the whole feeding off of biomass and intelligence is their favorite thing to do)And if the rumored Forerunners that we MAY fight, of course they know English, Precursors also know the English language.

I see no reason for Covenant members to speak English to other Covenant members during the heat of the battle. It’s not as if English/American troops spoke German during the Normandy landings. The war lasted twenty-eight years, I am sure the Covenant learned several English words. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if several humans had learned Covenant words (wort, wort, wort!). Plus, another user had mentioned specific Covenant troops were required to learn the “Unclean language”. Personally, I do not believe any former Covenant races should speak English unless speaking directly to a human. If a new species is introduced in Halo 4, I would be surprised, if not a little disappointed, that they are speaking English. Although, it could be used as a scare factor. Imagine a cutscene where this “unknown race” sends a video to the UNSC with fluent English.