Should Spartan Ops' difficulty be reduced?

As a guy who beat the Halo 4 campaign on legendary alone I believe Spartan Ops’ standard Matchmaking difficulty is too hard. I’m not saying we go down to normal or easy but just down to heroic so that way it’s difficult without being brutal and frustrating.
Who here’s with me.

Are you saying Spartan Ops Co-op is too hard?

If so, totally disagree. I am playing a lot of the missions solo legendary.

In fact some of the chapters are not suited to 4 players IMO.

I finished the first Episode solo on Legendary. I started the second Episode but it got way too boring.

I think the spawning is awful. I will get trapped in a group of enemies, very often a group of Elites. I keep respawning in the exact same place with the Elites surrounding me. I have no chance to get away; instead, I have to try to kill one enemy per spawn and that got so boring I stopped and gave up.

> I finished the first Episode solo on Legendary. I started the second Episode but it got way too boring.
>
> I think the spawning is awful. I will get trapped in a group of enemies, very often a group of Elites. I keep respawning in the exact same place with the Elites surrounding me. I have no chance to get away; instead, I have to try to kill one enemy per spawn and that got so boring I stopped and gave up.

You have unlimited live so it doesn’t even matter. In fact, it’s quite entertaining.

I honestly don’t see the point in lowering the difficulty in a game where you have unlimited lives.

I prefer it as it is I like the challenge.

Yes, it should go back to Heroic. The epic lag is already a challenge enough.

I don’t think the problem is the difficulty. The problem with Spartan Ops, besides the lag, is 343i’s insistence that rapid fire fuel rod Elites and Grunts is a challenge…it isn’t.

Spartan Ops is easy.

The only thing that changes with difficulty is enemy health and the amount of fuel rod guns they have. That is what is called “fake difficulty”, as the enemies still behave the same regardless, it just takes slightly longer to kill them.

And the hunters in this game…I’ve never seen such a threatening enemy become so pitiful.

> I don’t think the problem is the difficulty. The problem with Spartan Ops, besides the lag, is 343i’s insistence that rapid fire fuel rod Elites and Grunts is a challenge…it isn’t.

Those elites and grunts are a nightmare.

Yes.
The “kill alien dudes with bullets” and “press a button” objectives are too complex. They buttons should approach the player throughout the mission and the alien dudes should shoot themselves with bullets.

The infinite respawns make it too challenging. They should be infinite and instant. In addition, I believe that when a player respawns, they should be invulnerable for the rest of the mission.

Is it just me or do the Fuel Rods hit with the speed and accuracy of a -Yoink- sniper?!

Either way, SpOps is just Fuel Rod spam.

> Are you saying Spartan Ops Co-op is too hard?
>
> If so, totally disagree. I am playing a lot of the missions solo legendary.
>
> In fact some of the chapters are not suited to 4 players IMO.

Uh… took a look at your stats, and I don’t know if your sense of challenge is accurate. You die a tremendous amount of times in each solo Legendary chapter you play. Which is what I’d expect – Spartan Ops is challenging on Legendary. Doing it with fewer than 5 deaths would be tough!

And no, I don’t think Spartan Ops should be made easier. I get an enormous amount of amusement seeing what kind of ridiculous shenanigans the mission designers come up with to challenge four cooperative players. The main thing we do when playing Spartan Ops is discuss how ludicrous it is that there are more fuel rod cannons in one chapter than there were possibly in all of a given Halo game. Or how it’s not truly Spartan Ops unless you take an encounter you’d have in campaign and replace everything with elites, then add grunts and jackals like salad dressings.

I mean, when we’re not shouting “SHUT UP, ROLAND!”

> I don’t think the problem is the difficulty. The problem with Spartan Ops, besides the lag, is 343i’s insistence that rapid fire fuel rod Elites and Grunts is a challenge…it isn’t.

Just like the 8 zealot snipers on Requiem and 5 battlewagons on Forerunner…

> And no, I don’t think Spartan Ops should be made easier. I get an enormous amount of amusement <mark>seeing what kind of ridiculous shenanigans the mission designers come up with to challenge four cooperative players.</mark> The main thing we do when playing Spartan Ops is discuss how ludicrous it is that there are more fuel rod cannons in one chapter than there were possibly in all of a given Halo game. Or how it’s not truly Spartan Ops unless you take an encounter you’d have in campaign and replace everything with elites, then add grunts and jackals like salad dressings.
>
> I mean, when we’re not shouting “SHUT UP, ROLAND!”

Yeah it is mind-boggling.

> Doing it with fewer than 5 deaths would be tough!

Surprisingly enough, it isn’t too bad if you take advantage of the fact that most enemies don’t move up when you fire at them from a distance, and make extensive use of the Plasma Pistol. In some situations, running forward, triggering the next wave, then retreating works wonders; you’re able to safely pick off targets, and the most they’ll do is jump around a little bit.

The only enemies that have actually seriously chased me around are the Elites who come in on the more conventional drop pods (the ones that smash into the ground, not the random hovering ones), and it’s a real bugger that the AI isn’t more dynamic in that regard. Really gets the heart pumping when a bunch of angry Elites are chasing you down.

In situations where you can’t get distance, patience becomes the key, mainly because it gives you time to think things through, and the fact that the enemy will usually lose interest and go into patrol mode. Also, Hologram is fantastic not only for distracting, but also for finding outs what is over the ridge, or where the snipers are camped out.

If anyone does look at my stats because of this, then have a look at the most recent games in Episode 1 and 2, where I’ve been trying these out.

It’s kinda funny how in the CGI the Elites are all Minors but then in the gameplay they are all Fuel Rod Cannon wielding Generals.

It should be reduced to Heroic again just because the Fuel Rods everywhere are really annoying!

It should be heroric, I can understand that Legendary makes it slightly more challenging with a group of 4, but making a cooperative game challenging shouldn’t mean just toggling the difficulty.

Spartan OPs needs work.

There are absolutely no repercussions for dying so no, it’s fine the way it is. The only thing you need is persistance, a 5 year old can play it solo on Legendary and eventually get through it.

Absolutely not. With four people, I can finish it as fast I can do it solo on Heroic. Its’ incredibly easy. Heroic would not be difficult. It would be a shooting gallery for anyone that can shoot straight. If it were up to me, I would keep it on Legendary, and then add some challenge, like say for example limited lives.